i bought a guitar an year ago and the model is godin velocity
and i hadn't played it very much cause i was busy with school and when i came back to the guitar, while i was changing pickup positions and went to bridge pup (HB) to HB-SC and just SC (3rd position) and after coming back to bridge, ive lost quite a bit of volume and the cleans were muddy. and then when i went to 2nd position and 3rd, they barely had no sound difference, when it used to have lots when i first got it.

so ive sent it to long and macquade but they found no faults after testing it for 10 minutes, then i realized that this problem isn't persistent, it happens frequent but not always. sometimes if u leave it not played it will have its sound back again and sometimes it will do the same things ive posted. ive checked the amp and the guitar cables with another guitar i have and they don't seem to be the problem. any suggestions what is wrong? oh and is it possible there is dust stuck in the pup selector switch?

thanks in advance!
it could be a dirty switch, a dirty pot or a bad connection somewhere. try cleaning all the electrical components (I use one of those little keyboard cleaner aerosols) and see if that helps. otherwise, take it to the shop and explain that the problem is intermittent (which should indicate to them that there's an issue with a connection somewhere)
thanks for replying! so basically use compressed air to clean out the parts first? oh and ive tried to explain that the problem is not consistent but they don't believe me i guess and ive went there too much with this guitar i bet they are getting pissed at me :P
Yeah spray the pots and switch with compressed air.
Id give each wire a slight tug too just to be sure nothings coming loose.
If your switch isnt closed you can check to see if its making full contact in each position, if not bend until it does.
yeah but the thing is that this guitar is quite new and it has circuit boards inside the cavity(or that's what i think) and the selector switch also covered in metal casing of some sort. ill give the air a try first and tell you the results. and if u need pictures of what ive said then ill get them up tomorrow asap.
You need contact cleaner, not just compressed air. Try Radio Shack, or whatever they call themselves these days.

edit: circuit boards? Does it have a battery? Is the battery almost dead?

Just did some research on that model. Does the sound cut when you have the hdr button pushed (i.e. you are in active mode)? if so, I would change the battery - forget the contact cleaner. Also, don't leave the guitar plugged in when not in use.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Jan 15, 2012,
ive never heard of contact cleaner and ive changed the battery alot and it doesn't help. and when i push the button it does have an effect on the sound( more out put) and i don't leave my guitar plugged in also but the problem still occurs. my best guess is the pup selector because the problem occurs when i change my pups.

so is that a no for contact cleaner and if it isn't can u give me some info what that is?
Quote by fbwls
so is that a no for contact cleaner and if it isn't can u give me some info what that is?

Try the contact cleaner first, but you need to spray it directly into the contacts, then work the switch a bit before it evaporates, then spray again. Check while you're in there to make sure there isn't a loose wire or a bad solder joint on the switch. It does indeed sound like a switch issue. Don't worry, even if the switch itself is bad, it's easily fixed.

Contact cleaner is just an aerosol solvent that will clean corrosion from contacts and not leave a residue. Any electronics supply place will have it.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Jan 15, 2012,
so just spray and wait? sorry for being a idiot but im new to this stuff :P and the selector switch is covered by some kind of metal casing. and i don't know how to open it up.

ill try the cleaner and tell you the results. ive expected better quality for $700 guitar T.T
You can get at the back of the switch where the wiring attaches, I assume? Just stick the nozzle of the spray into any opening on the switch body. No need to take anything apart. Don't saturate it with cleaner. A few short blasts while flicking the switch back and forth through all positions should do it. That's all. No need to really wait. It will evaporate before you can get your guitar plugged in and your amp turned on to see if it has helped.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
gotcha, ill reply as soon as my dad gets me some cleaner :P
well no contact cleaner in future shop and the compressed air helped at first and it went back... idk what to do man. is it possible to get contact cleaner in walmart?
damn man i have exams in like 1 week and this is taking over my head T,T plus there is no radio shack in this small place..

is it possible to open up a pup selector that is covered in metal casing?
does it matter what kind of switch i use>? since my guitar is sorta different from other because of its HDR functionality.
Im not sure. I would assume not because its a seperate function, but maybe some carvin owners will com answer.
hopefully.. atm i got it to sound like before but hopefully it stays this way. thank you for helping me through this!
oh my model isn't carvin tho. its godin
and seems like if i press hard on the pup selector the sound comes back
any ideas what this means
is it possible the pup selector isn't making full contact with the electronics and sometimes it partially does?
Yep, its possible. I still say go get some compressed air and blow into it while flicking the switch repeatedly.
If pressing down on something makes the problem go away, that's a smoking gun for a loose connection. It might be a bad ground wire connection. Check the solder joints and that all the hardware is secured tightly.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 16, 2012,
yeah well the compressed air worked for a bit then it went back. i have no clue how to check inside the selector since it is covered in metal casing. i think ima try and complain to l & m about this. again,.