so..the thing is:
-i'm playing mainly hard and alternative rock. From AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Van Halen and Whitesnake to Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Soundgarden...to be brief: 70's - 90's hard/alternative rock.
-My amp is a VOX AD30VT..although i'm also thinking of stepping up here too..
-My current guitar is an Epiphone SG G-400 with Seymour Duncan SH-4 at the bridge..

I got this urge to buy a new guitar and i've got some ideas of my own what to buy but i still wanted to see some other opinions..i was thinking of buying a guitar up to 350$..but on the other hand i have a question for you guys...would i get more if i would buy a new amp..about 50 watts..for about 400$ (i'm thinking mainly about second handed amps here)..
I'd be really grateful for any answers and sorry for any bad english here..it's not my language
Yeah man if you want get a new amp that has 50 watts.
For the 2nd guitar, in my opinion I don't think there is a need, your SG will only get more better with age. But usually I try to keep my amp and guitar parallel in value when trying to upgrade gear.
well, you wont improve upon your guitar for $400. a G-400 with an upgraded bridge pickup is an excellent starting point. save your money.

as for the amp, consider why you want (or need) 50 watts. do you gig? just jam? 50 watts is alot, and you could get a very good, 30-40 watt used tube amp for $400 or so, assuming you aren't upgrading purely for volume issues.
How about a Fender Strat? They are very versatile and have a good tone and can combine with just about any amp combo as well.

ron666
it's possible that i'll start to gig yes but mainly i want to upgrade something because of the tone not volume...the sound i get now is good but somehow plastic, lifeless..i don't know..or is this just me
Quote by frcman
it's possible that i'll start to gig yes but mainly i want to upgrade something because of the tone not volume...the sound i get now is good but somehow plastic, lifeless..i don't know..or is this just me

that lifeless feeling in your amp is a consequence of it being a (mostly) solid state modelling amp.

a decent tube amp (peavey valveking and blackstar venue ht studio 20 come to mind) will handle those issues. its surprising how much better a G-400 with a good bridge pickup sounds through a decent amp (my brother, who plays in my band, uses a G-400 with an Iommi and Duncan 59 pickups through a valveking 112, and it sounds great). also, you really only need 20-30 watts to gig (look at all the bands using ac-30's), you just need to mic up.

a new guitar will not solve this issue, not in the least. the issue of sterility and plasticity lies with your amp, not with the guitar. a new guitar will still be subject to the same problems.
keep the guitar fro now. Epiphones are great and with that upgraded pickup it will sound better than most $400 guitars.

If I were you, I would look at some small valve amps. Jet City JCA2112, or a Blackstar HT-5, but I'm not sure of the price of these in USD.
Fender > Gibson

Who Said That?!
thanks for the answers!
i have looked on youtube these amps and i think they could do the trick yes..but...used amps like these are hard to come by in my country..so i would have to buy a new one..and i see that this jet city is the cheapest and it has 20 watts..is that enough to jam along with my friend on the drums?although if i'm honest...i'm interested in the peavey the most
Jet City amps are solid for their price. The 20 watts is definitely enough to jam with a drummer, though you will probably end up running it full tilt in any gigging situation. There are a lot of good options in that price range for amps. If you are looking used, I would probably try to find a used Fender Hot Rod series amp, or an Egnater tweaker. If you have $400 or more to spend on an amp if funnel money from the guitar purchase, then I would probably bypass the Valvekings and Blackstars. None of them have ever endured themselves to me. But that's just one person's opinion. I personally think the Valveking sounds terrible.

Quote by krehzeekid
that lifeless feeling in your amp is a consequence of it being a (mostly) solid state modelling amp.

a decent tube amp (peavey valveking and blackstar venue ht studio 20 come to mind) will handle those issues. its surprising how much better a G-400 with a good bridge pickup sounds through a decent amp (my brother, who plays in my band, uses a G-400 with an Iommi and Duncan 59 pickups through a valveking 112, and it sounds great). also, you really only need 20-30 watts to gig (look at all the bands using ac-30's), you just need to mic up.

a new guitar will not solve this issue, not in the least. the issue of sterility and plasticity lies with your amp, not with the guitar. a new guitar will still be subject to the same problems.
And yet, you recommend a Blackstar HT, an amp that gets all of it's overdrive and gain from solid state circuitry.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 15, 2012,
I don't know what the forum consensus is on them, but I really like the Vox Valvetronix amps...though it's a hybrid (power amp is tube with SS modeling I believe) so an all tube would be better. But the VT's have onboard effects and they have a great sound
Quote by al112987
Jet City amps are solid for their price. The 20 watts is definitely enough to jam with a drummer, though you will probably end up running it full tilt in any gigging situation. There are a lot of good options in that price range for amps. If you are looking used, I would probably try to find a used Fender Hot Rod series amp, or an Egnater tweaker. If you have $400 or more to spend on an amp if funnel money from the guitar purchase, then I would probably bypass the Valvekings and Blackstars. None of them have ever endured themselves to me. But that's just one person's opinion. I personally think the Valveking sounds terrible.

And yet, you recommend a Blackstar HT, an amp that gets all of it's overdrive and gain from solid state circuitry.

I realize the HT gets alot of its drive from solid state circuitry, but it sounds quite good regardless, though I would still take a valveking (with a tube swap) any day of the week. additionally, I would contend that it has far better overdrive and distortion than many "all tube" (I use the quotes as many amps still feature solid-state rectification) amps at this price (such as the Fender HRD, which has abysmal overdrive- I own one).