Hi all!

I recently had to sell my PRS SE custom to help fund a new laptop, so I am now without a guitar with humbuckers. Ideally, I'd buy a 335, but they are way beyond my budget (retailing new for about $5000). I love semi-hollow guitars so the epiphone Sheraton seems like a good choice. But the Gibson SG standard is also an option as they fit into my budget.

My budget is around $1500AU max, and I play music like Oasis, Powderfinger and 60's rock n roll.

Out of the Sheraton and the SG, which would suit my needs better? Are there any serious cons about either guitar that outweigh the pro's?

Are there any other guitars I should look into?

More than happy to buy used gear!

Cheers.
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonerider British Distortion
Tonerider American Overdrive
Boss DD7
Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker
Treble Booster.
A Gibson and an Epiphone are incomparable. Get the Gibson.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
^ HUGE generalization right there.

The Epiphone Sheraton and the SG are two completely different guitars. The Sheraton is a perfectly nice guitar, and from what I know, might fit with your genres way more than the SG.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
I'm not going to buy a guitar for a name on a headstock. Yes, Gibson is the father company of Epiphone, but both make great guitars, so it's more about finding the guitar that works best for me, rather than buying a guitar based on a name.
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
I also love semi-hollows, which is why I bought a Sheraton. If that's truly what you love then go for it.
Play them both, theyll both sound different. Pay no attention to those who blindly claim Gibson can automatically whoop an Epiphone. I've heard poor Gibsons (Studio Faded anyone?) and great Epiphones and find Epiphones to be rather pleasing. In that, they cost 1/3 to 1/5 less than their Gibson counterparts, and they dont sound like they cost 1/3 to 1/5 less, not saying they sound the same. But I can take a $500 Epiphone, set it up, replace the pups and have a $750 Epiphone that suits me better than $3000 Gibson.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

they're really too different for a head-to-head comparison. anyways, I'm not a huge fan of either (the sheraton is nice and all, but there I've just never really liked them, and I prefer lp's to sg's any day of the week)

being in australia, you should definitely check out maton guitars (the MS503 is in your budget). the couple I've played have been very nice for the money.

also check out an Ibanez AS103. I think that the better artcore guitars are better than most epiphones, and they are fairly reasonably priced.
Are the artcore series completely hollow or semi hollow? I'm trying to stick to semi hollow just to have that bit of extra control over the feedback.

I've never been a fan of Maton's electrics. Love their acoustics to death, but their electrics have always felt like they are missing something!
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
Quote by bicko19
Are the artcore series completely hollow or semi hollow? I'm trying to stick to semi hollow just to have that bit of extra control over the feedback.

I've never been a fan of Maton's electrics. Love their acoustics to death, but their electrics have always felt like they are missing something!

I can understand what you mean about the maton's.

as for the artcores, that particular one is a semi. its pretty good about not feeding back too. borrowed one for a while and played it through a mesa halfstack, and it took fairly high gain levels without too much grief.
Don't know what the prices are in AU, but if you liked your PRS SE look for a used PRS Mira if they are in your budget. The USA PRS guitars are really nice.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would say jump for the gibson cause it'll probably have better pickups, but if you like the sheraton get it. I've never been a fan of sheratons and I'm now regretting not saving up for a gibson and getting an epiphone instead cause the value depreciates big time and the pickups just aren't as good.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by jjbarnes
I would say jump for the gibson cause it'll probably have better pickups, but if you like the sheraton get it. I've never been a fan of sheratons and I'm now regretting not saving up for a gibson and getting an epiphone instead cause the value depreciates big time and the pickups just aren't as good.

... No, it will be the same pickup quality, the SG will just sound nothing like what he wants from a guitar.
Also, let me point out that Ibanez, Schecter and Gretsh also make very nice hollowbodies.
Going by the feedback so far, it looks like the SG really isn't going to fit my needs.

I'll definitely check out the Mira, but I was hoping for more of a 335 style of guitar.

I've always loved Gretch's, any model I should check out?

Appreciate the help everyone!
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
i don't see why the sg wouldn't work

i mean i'm one of gibson's biggest critics and i'd be taking a gibson over an (non-japanese) epi pretty much every single time.

since you're in australia check out some of teh MIJ stuff like tokai etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Vital-Signs
... No, it will be the same pickup quality, the SG will just sound nothing like what he wants from a guitar.
You're right, a Gibosn would clearly be awful for '60s style rock and roll.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
everything's better with the ancient aliens meme
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
All things being equal, (IE pickups), I think you you get a wider range of tonality from a semi hollow guitar. Any of them you buy, will certainly have a bit of an acoustic quality to them. That said, you can probably get a better sound during softer passages with a semi hollow.

A semi hollow is easier to play sitting down, and the transition to a full acoustic is way less than as would be from a solid body.

Neither one of these will sound like a strat or tele. (Just thought I'd throw than in for no apparent reason).

I have some question as to whether Gibson keeps building guitars in the US, just so they can say they're a "US company",

Since the price ratio can be up to 5:1 toward a Gibson, it would be interesting to know if the number of guitars sold balances the other way in favor of Epiphone.

Personally, I'd try the Epiphone "Dot"and "Sheraton II", but also the equivalent Ibanez "Artcore". The Sheraton is the fanciest of the 3.

The pickups a guitar ships with are certainly not the end of the story, and neither is the wiring. A little bit of modding here could give you phased single coil pickup sound, on any of the guitars you're considering.

And last, Rush played pretty darn loud, and Lifeson used an ES-335 to do it.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 15, 2012,
I would get the semi-hollow myself, and, just top throw this out there, Gibson bought Epiphone because their semi hollows were so good and rivaled Gibson's own semi-hollows. So, Epiphone semi-hollows are damn good.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
its really not that hard. do you like solid bodies or do you like semihollow guitars better?

thats all there is to it.

that is like a Scotch or Whiskey thing as far as i am concerned, its what you want.

i have no problems giving advice on technical or debatable things, but this is more or less of a preference thing. we can't tell you what you like. if this was a LP v. SG or Strat v. Tele it would be different and i would feel better answering it.

and as far as the Gibson v. Epiphone bullshit, Gibson trumps Epiphone almost every time. the only solid competitors were the Epiphone Masterbuilts that were discontinued. they were pretty much comparable to a LP Studio, or SG standard. and they were like $800+ IIRC.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 16, 2012,
noone replied to your query about Gretsch, so lemme say the G5120 and G5122 (same guitar pretty much, different cutaway, I think the g5120 is like half an inch thicker) are both extremely good guitars that feel amazing. They're in your price range, too, and I remember reading the g5120 is actually the best seller in the entire Gretsch history.

They're fully hollow though, but I've always been able to control the feedback on mine
Quote by AWACS
I would get the semi-hollow myself, and, just top throw this out there, Gibson bought Epiphone because their semi hollows were so good and rivaled Gibson's own semi-hollows. So, Epiphone semi-hollows are damn good.

yea they did... back in 1957. then Gibson kind of took over the designs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by AWACS
How is this even relevant? Gibson bought Epiphone back when Epiphone was it's own independent company that made their guitars in the USA. Completely different from what Epiphone is today.
I was in a similar situation a few months ago... I went into the store totally ready to buy a Gretsch for around 700-800 bucks. I played it and it totally didn't suit me at all. I still kind of wanted it just because of the excitement I had for it like 5 minutes prior. :p I'm glad I took the time to look around the store and even peruse the infamous wall of Gibsons, cause wouldn't you know I walked out with a brand new SG. I play similar music as you, even tried out a few Epi hollowbodies and trust me the SG is one hell of a guitar.

There's nothing at all wrong with Epiphone, but in my opinion the Gibson SG (standard) is very fairly priced. The pickups are great, but could be swapped to get whatever specific flavour you're looking for. The pickups are versatile. Not GREAT for one specific style but very good for all styles. The neck is amazing, the finish is great (I got mine in Cherry) and the details put into this guitar are all top notch. You really get your moneys worth.

It's essential that you try them both out but as an SG player for 5 months now I have to recommend it. Hope that helps!
Also, while I think semi hollows are awesome, there is nothing that one could do to convince me to go through the headache of changing pickups or electronics in a 335 or 335 copy like a Sheraton. Way too big of a hassle. Keep that in mind.
^ good point

also i disagree that a semi-hollow is more versatile. maybe that's my bias for heavier music coming through, but personally i can do everything i can do on a semi-hollow on a solidbody, but the same can't be said for the other way round.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i sifted through the thread this morning after posting last night. have you actually played both? if you haven't you need to. if you are thinking a LP sounds like an SG, you are way off. SG's are very unique and interesting guitars. the thinner body (both of mine are one piece bodys), causes them to be a little bright, dare i say slightly twangy compared to a LP. they are a lot of fun to play, and can generate a rather broad spectrum of tones. coil tapping the pickups has good results as well (you have to mod the pickup, it isn't easy but it certainly isn't hard, just takes a little bit of research).

335's do sound good. whether it be Gibson or Epiphone are different as well. but i fully agree what dave said a post or so up.

also, just another thing, is that Gibson makes incredible pickups, IMO possibly the best in the industry for one reason, they sound good enough sounding for literally everything. they have the happy medium that nobody else has. would other pickups fit you better on an individual basis? likely so, but they certainly wouldn't please such a broad audience.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Gibson pickups are garbage, barring perhaps the '57 Classics.

There's a reason people call them Worstbuckers.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
*** Attempts to land the Focus plane ***

bicko19 originally posted he prefers the semi-hollow but added the Gibson SG Standard because it's within his budget ... so, bicko19 should audition semi-hollows ... MIJ Epis, Ibanezes, Tokais, Grecos, the Sheraton II which is a fine guitar, etc.

Quote by trashedlostfdup

also, just another thing, is that Gibson makes incredible pickups, IMO possibly the best in the industry for one reason, they sound good enough sounding for literally everything. they have the happy medium that nobody else has. would other pickups fit you better on an individual basis? likely so, but they certainly wouldn't please such a broad audience.
Having had several different sets of pickups in my guitar including the stock 490/498 set, several different sets of Seymour Duncans and several high end boutique sets, I can say that the only thing that the stock Gibsons were "best in the industry" at was being boring and generic sounding.

But that's just me. If I wanted a set that was going to be versatile and worked well for a bunch of different styles, while sounding a little more interesting, I'd stick a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom bridge and jazz neck in the guitar, or, if I had more money to spend, WCR Fillmores.
Quote by al112987
Having had several different sets of pickups in my guitar including the stock 490/498 set, several different sets of Seymour Duncans and several high end boutique sets, I can say that the only thing that the stock Gibsons were "best in the industry" at was being boring and generic sounding.

But that's just me. If I wanted a set that was going to be versatile and worked well for a bunch of different styles, while sounding a little more interesting, I'd stick a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom bridge and jazz neck in the guitar, or, if I had more money to spend, WCR Fillmores.

what i was getting at is that Gibson makes great pickups for one main reason. they sound good enough to play everything. they can do everything from jazz to blues to metal, and sound good. most pickups YOU would buy would be better because you buy for your tastes, everybody likes different tone. but gibson's pickups are good enough for the largest audience accross quite a few genres.

edit. you cannot put anything up against boutique pickup for another boutique pickup. $150=1bkp. not exactly in the same category that gibson would have. there are very few brands that i know of that put BKP's in their guitars stock, Blackmachine being one to pop up at the moment, they aren't cheap.

Seymour Duncans are IMO no better than a set of burstbuckers. i have had quite a few models, the only SD's i really cared for were the '59 neck or jazz in the neck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 16, 2012,
Right and my point was that if someone wanted to do everyt from jazz to blues to metal, something like a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom or JB would work better than a 498T.

If I wanted to get into specific, focused sounds then it's good at anything. And who cares if these pickups are not stock in most guitars. My point is that Gibson is not one of the best pickups out there. Even their own original designs are done better by Seymour Duncan.

And that said, I don't care how much Bareknuckles cost per pickup, Bareknuckles are overpriced and overrated. A WCR Crossroad is $140 a pickup, a Duncan Antiquity is $120 a pickup, a Wolfetone Marshallhead is $115 a pickup, all are superior to a Burstbucker, which costs what? $120? Especially considering what a burstbucker is geared towards.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 17, 2012,
Trashedlostfdup,
Most Gibson pups are $150 or close, so saying that its unfair to compare them to a $150 pickup because that pickup is boutique seems a little ignorant.

'57 Classic: $150- $160
Dirty Fingers: $140
Most P90 Models: $120- $140
Burstbucker Pro: $170!!!
Hell, they offer a "Vintage Hot Matched Pickup Set" for $380, which if I'm not mistaken, is $190 per pickup.

Their cheapest model looks like the 490 at $100- $130.

Having played Gibsons, for my money I think if you do the research and grab the proper Seymour Duncan youre making a better choice for almost half the price.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jan 17, 2012,
Quote by Ippon
*** Attempts to land the Focus plane ***

bicko19 originally posted he prefers the semi-hollow but added the Gibson SG Standard because it's within his budget ... so, bicko19 should audition semi-hollows ... MIJ Epis, Ibanezes, Tokais, Grecos, the Sheraton II which is a fine guitar, etc.

good point

Quote by VanTheKraut
Trashedlostfdup,
Most Gibson pups are $150 or close, so saying that its unfair to compare them to a $150 pickup because that pickup is boutique seems a little ignorant.

agreed. if they're being sold at the same price as boutiques it's fair to compare them to them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A couple of other guitars to consider, if you are hankering for a 335-style guitar:

- Both Gibson and Epi make 339 models, which have a 335 style and construction, but with the body scaled down in size to be almost Les Paul-ish. The Gibby 339 is still pricey, but less than a real 335. Epi makes an Ultra-339 model which adds a piezo-bridge, providing some additional acoustic tones.

Another possible consideration is the relatively new Gibson Midtown Custom. It's cheaper than a Gibson ES-339, but still more than an Epi 339 or 335.

The Midtown Custom is basically the size and style of a 339, but the body is carved-out mahogany (rather than maple-plywood back), and so the tone edges over a bit more toward LP-ish. It also has a flat top (versus a 335 or 339). The other cost-measure is that the fretboard material is a man-made composite, and not real rosewood. That said, it feels pretty decent, and looks more like ebony. On the plus side, the model has some of the fancy cosmetics of Gibson "Custom" models, such as the double-diamond headstock logo, nice-looking block inlays, etc.

Just a couple of extra thoughts to consider....