I currently have a Fender Mustang III that I haven't been too happy with. Too many damn options. I'm looking at getting the Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18. What are the opinions on this amp and should I be considering something else in this price range? I play mostly rock(GNR). I'm thinking of getting the matching cab as well.
what country are you in? the price range the H&K's in will be affected by that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have that exact amp. It's very nice. It has a very responsive EQ so you can get quite a variety of sounds from it. The cleans are fantastic. Closer to a Fender's cleans than a Marshalls. It's pretty loud. Even on the one watt setting. But, you can have it on the one watt and cranked to the max and not annoy next door too much. The only thing I don't like about it, is the lead boost. I don't know whether it is or not, but it's sounds very solid state.

All in all, it's a great choice. You can gig with it (pubs, small clubs at a push), you can crank it in your room, plus it has the 0 watt setting, which is a great feature. Easily one of the best low wattage tube amps out there.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I have that exact amp. It's very nice. It has a very responsive EQ so you can get quite a variety of sounds from it. The cleans are fantastic. Closer to a Fender's cleans than a Marshalls. It's pretty loud. Even on the one watt setting. But, you can have it on the one watt and cranked to the max and not annoy next door too much. The only thing I don't like about it, is the lead boost. I don't know whether it is or not, but it's sounds very solid state.

All in all, it's a great choice. You can gig with it (pubs, small clubs at a push), you can crank it in your room, plus it has the 0 watt setting, which is a great feature. Easily one of the best low wattage tube amps out there.

I own this amp as well and I agree with this. The boost isn't that great, but the lead channel by itself is quite nice if you don't need the absolute br00tz. I wouldn't recommend for metal, doesn't really seem voiced for it. The clean channel though is what really surprised me the first time I played with this amp. Very sparkly, clear and crisp. My only wish is that the channels didn't share EQ, but for a pretty inexpensive tube head, I can't complain. Really nice for home use.
Would a boost up front get it into metal territory better then the lead boost function?
So all in all it's probably the best choice for rock in that price range? One other question for the people that have them. What cabs are you using? Also, are you using pedals with it?
Quote by jwoodbury3571
So all in all it's probably the best choice for rock in that price range? One other question for the people that have them. What cabs are you using? Also, are you using pedals with it?

I am using the matching 1x12 cab. I occasionally plug it into my Marshall 425A, which is a 4x12. It sounds great through either. Obviously there's a lot more definition through the 4x12 as it's a much more expensive cab, and has 3 more speakers. However, the 1x12 still sounds very good and would probably be your best bet.

I use pedals with the amp too. I never bother with effects loops as all my pedals have always sounded fine going through the front of the amp. I use a TC Electronic Polytune tuner, an Artec Wah pedal, an EHX LPB-1, an EHX Memory Toy, a Boss CH-1 Chorus, an EHX Holy Grail and a JMI Tone Bender MkII.

I have not yet put the Tone Bender through the H&K yet.