So I've had a Les Paul for a few months now, and one thing I've noticed is that it's almost impossible for me to get a good sound out of any soloing I do on my Les Paul. I can play all kinds of stuff and it sounds great on my ESP, but the Les Paul seems a lot harder. Could it be there is a different technique for playing on a Les Paul, or maybe even just the pickups? I have the Zakk Wylde Epiphone Les Paul, so it came with EMG HZs. Everyone says they aren't the greatest, but could they really make that much of a difference? In my ESP I just have stock ESP pickups so I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

Any help is appreciated.
There really shouldn't be that big a difference. Guitars sound different to each other, but it shouldn't be difficult to get a good sound out of that guitar.

Are you tone nots turned up? I'v had times where my sound was bad and I realised I'd accidently turned my tone down.

It wont be your technique though. Your technique should be the same what ever the guitar is.

My Jackson has EMG-HZ pickups. They are fine. Good for rock and much more versatile than actives.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Jan 14, 2012,
I don't like EMG-Hz pickups, but... If you don't like the sound, sell the mics. and buy some news!
No my tones are all the way up, which is why I couldn't figure it out. I can get basic soloing stuff like bends and simple hammer ons/pull offs to sound fine, but if I go for a trill or even just a three note pull off it won't sound right, and bends don't have any sustain I've found if I need to hold them for more than a second or two.
Quote by The Vickshow
No my tones are all the way up, which is why I couldn't figure it out. I can get basic soloing stuff like bends and simple hammer ons/pull offs to sound fine, but if I go for a trill or even just a three note pull off it won't sound right, and bends don't have any sustain I've found if I need to hold them for more than a second or two.

Sooo.... why you bought the Les Paul?
I never seem to have a problem with any of Les Pauls, I do alot of soloing and I've always loved the feel of them...

Meh, I've not a clue

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Quote by The Vickshow
So I've had a Les Paul for a few months now, and one thing I've noticed is that it's almost impossible for me to get a good sound out of any soloing I do on my Les Paul. I can play all kinds of stuff and it sounds great on my ESP, but the Les Paul seems a lot harder. Could it be there is a different technique for playing on a Les Paul, or maybe even just the pickups? I have the Zakk Wylde Epiphone Les Paul, so it came with EMG HZs. Everyone says they aren't the greatest, but could they really make that much of a difference? In my ESP I just have stock ESP pickups so I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

Any help is appreciated.

you should try a LP with normal LP pickups such as passive etc...but thats just how i like my LPs to sound. If you are set on active pickups perhaps the LP needs its pickup height adjusted here and there.
has it been set-up at all? it's either a) it's an epiphone, b) it's not set-up, c) you're not using proper technique and your ESP is good at masking that, d) EMGs suck or e) all of those adding up

prob e
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
it might be because your not used to the different action of the guitar, or you might have had 9s on your old guitar, les pauls comes with 10s.
les pauls typically have higher action too, and fatter necks depending on the year they are modeled after etc....want to experience a real LP, then play one with regular passive pickups...you can get metal with a standard LP with passive...not to mention your cleans wont sound like @#$%!
I have a Les Paul with passive pickups (Dimarzios), and I gotta say it wails. It took some getting used to when I first got it because I wasn't used to the neck, but after a week or so I was tearing through Megadeth solos with it. I couldn't be happier =)
It is an Epiphone, and I don't really have a whole lot of money to get new pickups at the moment. I will try changing from .10 stings to .09's though and see if that makes a difference. The action is probably the main thing though, as I have the action set very low on my ESP.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
les pauls typically have higher action too, and fatter necks depending on the year they are modeled after etc....want to experience a real LP, then play one with regular passive pickups...you can get metal with a standard LP with passive...not to mention your cleans wont sound like @#$%!

1 - EMG HZs are passive.

2 - Even active EMGs can have awesome clean tones if you know what you're doing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6feTFLKpxQ
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf

Your cleans won't necessarily sound like shit just because you have EMGs. I got a "great tone and sound" comment last year from my school's jazz faculty playing through a Zakk Wylde LP. It's just about knowing how to work with your tone rather than write it off immediately because the pickups are a certain brand.
Put the same brand and gauge of strings and set it up to a similar action.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
i find it harder to on my LP studio than on my jackson, but the LP definitely sounds better when playing rock or blues. but i got used to it. going back to play on the jackson after a while on the LP makes playing feel a lot easier
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
the problem is that les pauls are the most overrated instrument in music history.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
the problem is that les pauls are the most overrated instrument in music history.

so are fender strats and the tele, but im sure its just a setup thats holding him back...the neck size can mess you up if you arent used to it, but other than that, maybe just go to the LP forums to check up on LP setups etc to get them sounding their best.
The les Paul and the ESP are completely different guitar. You're going from a very thin neck to a thick neck. Of course it's going to be awkward, however, once you let your hands get used to the new neck you should be able to do everything you could on the ESP.