Page 1 of 2
Title is pretty self explanatory. Do you think tattoos should have meaning behind them? Or, do you think that it's ok to get something tattooed on you because you think it looks cool?

I come across the coolest looking tattoos that I would consider getting, but I would have no real explanation as to why I got it, other than "it looks cool".

And please don't give me the "It's your body, do what you want" answer.

Anyway, tell me what you think.

Ashley
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
I think they should have a meaning. Otherwise, in 30 years there's a much greater chance you won't like it
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
"Here, girl, is my tattoo."

"Wow. I believe it must have some significant meaning to you. Does it?"

"Yeah. It looks fucking cool, man, I mean look at it! The pony is staring into your soul!"
Well I do like hearing the meaning of people's tattoos and it sorta gives them new life, but some tattoos do look pretty sweet which don't have a story behind them that are awesome none the less.
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
Mine doesn't mean anything personal to me, but it's a slant at the justice system, a piece by a favorite artist, and related to music.
Personally I would only get a tattoo that has a pretty big meaning to me. But there's nothing wrong with getting one just because it looks cool. That's just not really my style.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
My first one I wanted meaning and thought it was significant, but after a while I stopped noticing it as something different and just became another part of my body. That coupled with a realisation that I'm never really going to be completely happy with my body no matter what I do has made me think, why not just get one because it's cool or funny.
Plus meaning is what you impose on something and that changes over time anyway, so what it means now will probably be different in 30 years.
If you're reading this, then chances are you're procrastinating too
Looking cool is a meaning.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Clearly it's up to the person to choose what they want on their body, but if you're getting something tribal or some kind of design for the sake of getting a tattoo then I'm most definitely going to call you a dumbass.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Well I wouldn't mind getting a tattoo for art (like a dragon or something), but it would have to be something I like, so yeah it would boil down to some sort of meaning.

I want a tattoo of an owl purely because I like owls. That's my meaning for that potential future tattoo. Other things I want for meaning (HP tat because it was pretty much my whole childhood, guitar/music notes/sheet music because I'm a musician) and maybe a lyric or saying, or just a little thing I enjoy, like Calvin and Hobbes dancing.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
It's my opinion that they should have a significance or meaning tied to them, but I don't hate people who just get them because they like them. While I've never been the 'walk into a shop and pick one off the wall' kind of guy, I figure it's like buying a painting to some people.

I only get them if they've got a meaning to me or are tied to some significant event in my life, though.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by blake1221
Mine doesn't mean anything personal to me, but it's a slant at the justice system, a piece by a favorite artist, and related to music.

What is it you've got?
Quote by whoomit
What is it you've got?

Lemme find the link, it's in a post in the Hardcore forum.

Meh, fuck it. Got it done on the 5th, it's my first tattoo.
Last edited by blake1221 at Jan 14, 2012,
People can do what they want, mine, however, are gonna have some meaning. Like my first one that I'm gonna be getting is 8bit Red and Pikachu from Pokemon Yellow as it was the first video game I actually played and adored.

That being said, I hate those shitty tribal ones that all the nob heads get.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Last edited by Trowzaa at Jan 14, 2012,
i've always thought that I wanted a tattoo, but as time has gone by i've started thinking I probably won't get one. I just can't justify the idea of spending money on having a piece of artwork permanently drawn on my body. i'd rather get it on a canvas or something.

so i guess the answer is, for me, i woudn't get one just because it looks cool. that would go on my desktop or something. i guess i don't appreciate art as much as others do.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by davrockist
I think they should have a meaning. Otherwise, in 30 years there's a much greater chance you won't like it

People change. I'd think it was the exact opposite.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
It's only recently that people have been getting tattoos with deep meanings (unless you count cultural tattoos of course.) It used to be good enough just to think it looks cool.
If it's art that you like then that's meaning enough.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by blake1221
Lemme find the link, it's in a post in the Hardcore forum.

Meh, fuck it. Got it done on the 5th, it's my first tattoo.

What is it? I can't really tell from that picture
Quote by Burgery
People change. I'd think it was the exact opposite.

Yeah. Like, if you're 18, and you get an A7X tattoo cuz ther liek teh bestest b& ev4r, that has meaning, but then in 30 years, you might not feel the same way. The same thing with the classic girlfriend's name tattoo. Again, it has meaning, but how many people end up regretting those?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
What the balls is that acid-induced monstrosity from?

EDIT: Google says Jeremy Fish, interesting.

Quote by blake1221

What is it?

EDIT: Oh, didn't read the thread. Never mind.
you're a stone fox
Quote by blake1221
Yeah, I really like his style.

Google imaging him, so do I. This one's just brilliant.

Quote by blake1221
Yeah, I really like his style.

It's clearly meant to have some meaning, but I'm terrible with that kind of stuff
Still, it looks pretty cool
Quote by theogonia777
Yeah. Like, if you're 18, and you get an A7X tattoo cuz ther liek teh bestest b& ev4r, that has meaning, but then in 30 years, you might not feel the same way. The same thing with the classic girlfriend's name tattoo. Again, it has meaning, but how many people end up regretting those?

I actually wouldn't consider those to have "meaning". If I got a tattoo that meant something to me, it'd be something which has affected my personal life or had some impact on me. Sure, music and some bands have impacted me massively, but I wouldn't get a tattoo of a band unless I'd liked them for a long time...like, a really long time.

I can't really give an example to be honest, but even if it's something symbolic....I don't know...
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
Nah. I wouldn't get one without meaning, but that doesn't mean others shouldn't. However, I automatically assume you're a retard if I see one of the following tattoos on you:

Tribal
Japanese characters
Spiderweb on elbow
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Nah. I wouldn't get one without meaning, but that doesn't mean others shouldn't. However, I automatically assume you're a retard if I see one of the following tattoos on you:

Tribal
Japanese characters
Spiderweb on elbow

If I ever decide for what ever reason to be a tattoo artist and someone asks me to tattoo them that, I'd probably be a dick and tattoo "Loser" in Japanese...the shop would probably close in a week...
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
^ My brother has his kids' names* written in Japanese on his wrist

*Or so we believe
I wouldn't get a tattoo if it didn't have any meaning. Whether if I'll ever get one or not, if I had to I would get on my right arm a tattoo of Layne Staley, on my left arm a tattoo of Jerry Cantrell, and under Layne would be a tattoo of someone in my life named "Rocky", and that would probably be it. Never, ever get a tattoo of a grilfriend or ANY girl unless you've been married to them for years. Just, don't, you'll regret it.
Last edited by Myaccount876 at Jan 14, 2012,
Quote by Gorelord666
If I ever decide for what ever reason to be a tattoo artist and someone asks me to tattoo them that, I'd probably be a dick and tattoo "Loser" in Japanese...the shop would probably close in a week...

Reminds me of this cartoon I saw once. It was an asian kid showing his new tattoo to his friend and the tat read "DOUCHEBAG" and the kid was saying "It means courage in English".
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by whoomit
It's clearly meant to have some meaning, but I'm terrible with that kind of stuff
Still, it looks pretty cool

Thank you kindly, sir.
Quote by StewieSwan

Tribal
Japanese characters
Spiderweb on elbow

This. Any sort of foreign characters as a tattoo are bad.
you're a stone fox
Quote by StewieSwan
Reminds me of this cartoon I saw once. It was an asian kid showing his new tattoo to his friend and the tat read "DOUCHEBAG" and the kid was saying "It means courage in English".

To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
No. You change and your tattoo might not carry some significant meaning anymore, but cool tattoos are cool 4eva.
My 'mate' has his name written down his arm
Literally the worst tattoo I've ever seen. Why do you need your own name tattooed on your arm?! Actually, he's a bit of a spastic so he's probably got it there in case he forgets it, absolute mongey.

Quote by thePTOD
Calvin and Hobbes dancing.

Do this TS

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Page 1 of 2