Page 1 of 2
When it comes to a person's opinion, does their college education and degree make that much of a difference on how open you are to consider their opinion? Or are there certain subjects where you pretty much won't even consider a person's opinion unless they're college-educated in that subject, or have a degree?

For me, when it comes to Science like physics or biology, I'll only consider a person's opinion if they've been college educated on the subject. I'm not educated on that stuff, but I'm pretty much not gonna care about someone's opinion on quantum mechanics unless they have majored in Physics or something. I'm also the same way about subjects like Economics or Political theory.

With Arts I'm more lenient. I'm a music major, but there are plenty of musicians who I have massive respect for, and try to learn from despite the fact that they haven't ever studied music academically or anything.
Nope not at all, I Consider everyones opinion equally.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Nope not at all, I Consider everyones opinion equally.

Did you know that George Washington actually shot and killed his opponent to win the first US Presidential election? It's one of the most unknown facts of American History. Use that in your next paper.

Oh by the way, I'm a Chemical Engineering major.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by AeroRocker
Did you know that George Washington actually shot and killed his opponent to win the first US Presidential election? It's one of the most unknown facts of American History. Use that in your next paper.

Oh by the way, I'm a Chemical Engineering major.

interesting

Quote by eGraham
Quote by theguitarist
Quote by Wolfinator-x
It depends on the person. I know some "educated" people who are rather stupid.

Usually, I'll only accept something as true once I've examined it for myself and agree with it.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by guitarist41
It depends on the person. I know some "educated" people who are rather stupid.

Usually, I'll only accept something as true once I've examined it for myself and agree with it.

he is asking if you consider what they have to say important, not if you accept it as truth

Quote by eGraham
Quote by theguitarist
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I tend to think very little of guitarists who have the "Rock School" grades, as they seem to dish those out like candy and I know a couple who are supposedly "grade 8" and they're not all that. College-level degrees, ehh..again kinda handed out freely around here. University-level will impress me, say Honors degree and above
Quote by SilverSpurs616
I tend to think very little of guitarists who have the "Rock School" grades, as they seem to dish those out like candy and I know a couple who are supposedly "grade 8" and they're not all that. College-level degrees, ehh..again kinda handed out freely around here. University-level will impress me, say Honors degree and above

TS is a 'murican. They use college to mean university, so I think he meant degree level.
No. You can learn as much about a subject from a few Wikipedia articles and library books than a class, though you don't really get teachers to ask questions.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
No. You can learn as much about a subject from a few Wikipedia articles and library books than a class, though you don't really get teachers to ask questions.

Yahoo Answers...

>_>

<_<

OT: No.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by Saint78

Maybe technically, yes, but I think there's a lot of stuff you can learn by being in a classroom setting that you're not gonna find in a book.
Quote by The Madcap
When it comes to a person's opinion, does their college education and degree make that much of a difference on how open you are to consider their opinion? Or are there certain subjects where you pretty much won't even consider a person's opinion unless they're college-educated in that subject, or have a degree?

For me, when it comes to Science like physics or biology, I'll only consider a person's opinion if they've been college educated on the subject. I'm not educated on that stuff, but I'm pretty much not gonna care about someone's opinion on quantum mechanics unless they have majored in Physics or something. I'm also the same way about subjects like Economics or Political theory.

With Arts I'm more lenient. I'm a music major, but there are plenty of musicians who I have massive respect for, and try to learn from despite the fact that they haven't ever studied music academically or anything.

Hipocrit.

Someone can learn music on their own, so why can't someone learn physics on their own?

I read about string theory a lot, and consider myself very educated on the subject. Now because I couldn't afford to go to college now my opinion is null and void on the subject?
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Last edited by naedauuf at Jan 14, 2012,
Quote by Gorelord666
Yahoo Answers...

>_>

<_<

OT: No.

Quote by bdylan61
Maybe technically, yes, but I think there's a lot of stuff you can learn by being in a classroom setting that you're not gonna find in a book.

That's kinda what I meant by the teacher question thing.
you're a stone fox
Quote by naedauuf
Hipocrit.

Someone can learn music on their own, so why can't someone learn physics on their own?

Art has a pretty big subjective element to it, science usually doesn't.

Quote by Saint78
That's kinda what I meant by the teacher question thing.

I feel ya. I was talking more of a bigger picture/general awareness of life kinda thing that you're gonna get from going to school, not necessarily just something subject-specific.
Last edited by bdylan61 at Jan 14, 2012,
Quote by naedauuf
Hipocrit.

I read about string theory a lot, and consider myself very educated on the subject. Now because I couldn't afford to go to college now my opinion is null and void on the subject?
Like the other guy said, there's a giant subjective quality of music that isn't like Physics. Plenty of non-educated musicians have written things I enjoy listening to, and I pay attention to the way the write and create music, because I like it and find it unique.

With subjects such as Physics, I feel like it's such a complex and demanding subject that it'd be extremely difficult for a person to independently obtain the knowledge of a person with a degree in physics.

My brother majored in Physics, Computer Science, and Engineering before majoring in Mathematical Science, which is what he got his degree in, with a minor in Economics. Plenty of times I thought I knew what I was talking about with things involving these subjects, and after a conversation with him about it, I was assured I didn't.

Edit:
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
TS is a 'murican. They use college to mean university, so I think he meant degree level.
Yup.
Last edited by The Madcap at Jan 14, 2012,
I'd generally trust any person's opinion in a subject in which they have a higher education level than I do, but there are definitely some exceptions.
Quote by The Madcap
Like the other guy said, there's a giant subjective quality of music that isn't like Physics. Plenty of non-educated musicians have written things I enjoy listening to, and I pay attention to the way the write and create music, because I like it and find it unique.

With subjects such as Physics, I feel like it's such a complex and demanding subject that it'd be extremely difficult for a person to independently obtain the knowledge of a person with a degree in physics.

My brother majored in Physics, Computer Science, and Engineering before majoring in Mathematical Science, which is what he got his degree in, with a minor in Economics. Plenty of times I thought I knew what I was talking about with things involving these subjects, and after a conversation with him about it, I was assured I didn't.

Edit:Yup.

I disagree Madcap, all the same books that were available to your bro are also for sale, in libraries and online..if an individual is intelligent and interested enough on such subjects the only thing they won't have is the paper saying they completed the course of study. Go back as far as you can on any of those subjects and someone with out a college education,educated someone else on the subject.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Last edited by Ikillintel at Jan 14, 2012,
Quote by The Madcap

Even things that are true, once spoken by an Arts major, become lies.

Honestly, I will consider anyone's opinion, UNLESS they are spending their time taking a pointless and useless degree. This means that they must be stupid. Who else would waste their time, energy, and money doing something that has no value in the long run. Since I know they are an idiot, their opinion is rendered useless.
Quote by hawk5211

Honestly, I will consider anyone's opinion, UNLESS they are spending their time taking a pointless and useless degree. This means that they must be stupid. Who else would waste their time, energy, and money doing something that has no value in the long run. Since I know they are an idiot, their opinion is rendered useless.

What? An education has no value in the long run?
Quote by hawk5211

Certain ones, yes. Unless McDonalds is your dream job.

Which ones?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by naedauuf

if you dont understand the math behind it, you understand nothing of the subject.

as to the OP, it all depends on the subject.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by hawk5211

Certain ones, yes. Unless McDonalds is your dream job.

Bullshit.

If I want to learn about underwater basketweaving because its something I enjoy doing, or I like learning, then it isn't pointless. It may not get me a job, but I took it for a legitimate reason.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Last edited by TunerAddict at Jan 14, 2012,
Nope, I value the opinions of some members here quite highly though I haven't a clue what their formal credentials are
Quote by hawk5211
It appears you are looking for an argument. I, on the other hand, am not.

Good day sir.

You're right, I was. I was going to watch while eating some nice buttered popcorn.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Ikillintel
I disagree Madcap, all the same books that were available to your bro are also for sale, in libraries and online..if an individual is intelligent and interested enough on such subjects the only thing they won't have is the paper saying they completed the course of study.
Yes, but major in those subject, and I highly doubt all it will require you to do is read. You'll conduct experiments, have the guidance of people far more knowledgeable than you, work with peers and view their work. Regardless, trying to obtain that knowledge just from reading books alone is very difficult.
Quote by Ikillintel
Go back as far as you can on any of those subjects and someone with out a college education,educated someone else on the subject.
Yes, but usually the subject has become extremely complex and modernized compared to its primitive beginnings.
On the subject of history I feel that someone needs at least a BA for me to take anything that comes out of their mouth seriously.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Ikillintel
I disagree Madcap, all the same books that were available to your bro are also for sale, in libraries and online..if an individual is intelligent and interested enough on such subjects the only thing they won't have is the paper saying they completed the course of study. Go back as far as you can on any of those subjects and someone with out a college education,educated someone else on the subject.

So you just assume everyone is extremely intelligent all the time? Or assume they're all stupid unless they prove otherwise? At least a degree is evidence.
This guy didn't even finish high school. A degree is no indicator of intelligence whatsoever.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by captaincrunk
So you just assume everyone is extremely intelligent all the time? Or assume they're all stupid unless they prove otherwise? At least a degree is evidence.

It's evidence that you can read a book, follow instructions. It's not real world experience.
I've met many over the years that can read the book and not apply a damn thing out of it.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Quote by The Madcap
Yes, but major in those subject, and I highly doubt all it will require you to do is read. You'll conduct experiments, have the guidance of people far more knowledgeable than you, work with peers and view their work. Regardless, trying to obtain that knowledge just from reading books alone is very difficult.Yes, but usually the subject has become extremely complex and modernized compared to its primitive beginnings.

Your last line, I'll give you that by today's standards and only in certain subjects.
My newest addition,
Quote by naedauuf

While you can read a book on science and remember and recite facts that you've read, you can't properly understand scientific method from them. That's something that has to come from education and experience. So while you could probably tell me parts of the theory that I don't know, I wouldn't trust you to propose any original research. No offense.

Arts, on the other hand, are entirely subjective. Back in school, in an English literature class where the teacher had gotten some pretty high up people in literary criticism to come in, my friend was asked a question, he said the first bullcrap explanation that came into his head, and the doctors of literature all frantically wrote down his words and said it was a very profound insight into the source material.

Tl;dr

Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
This guy didn't even finish high school. A degree is no indicator of intelligence whatsoever.

I think you've got that wrong. Not having a degree is not an indicator of unintelligence. Having a degree is sometimes an indicator of intelligence.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

I kinda like the person to have some sort of academic degree, especialy if I don't know anything about the subject in question, but it's not essential, pretty much anything that anyone says on any subject can quite easily be double checked on the net.
I don't think you have to have a degree in a certain subject, just a degree in something. Surely if you understand basic physics and watch discovery science a lot, you know something about the more difficult subjects.

In science it's that you need to know mathematics, doing research and then you can basically switch to any degree.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by hawk5211

Tertiary education is not trade school.

If Ian (example 1) wants to study engineering and Annie (example 2) wants to study music, nor Ian or Annie are going to waste anything, because they learn what they wish to learn. That Ian's choice of study provide a more reliable career than Annie's, doesn't make Annie's choice more "worthless" than Ian's.

Quote by Saint78

THaving teachers/lecturers/tutors will usually make your learning more effective and structured rather than reading arbitrarily through books and articles.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Jan 15, 2012,
Just out of curiosity did you go to University Slacker?

Personally I think it depends, I think Blayney's summed it up for me though. If people are talking about science I only really trust them if they've got (a degree), or at least A Levels in that area.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Page 1 of 2