This is a little melody I wrote within the last hour, and recorded within the last fifteen minutes. I just wanted to record asap so that I wouldn't forget what it sounded like.

Would you guys mind just taking a quick listen and maybe give me pointers or something? Thanks a lot.

http://soundcloud.com/distortedpixel/newidea-1

Er... I kinda left the metronome on speaker instead of headphones, so please excuse that...

And I know the mix is unbalanced, the lead guitar is a lot louder than the chords behind it. Again, I'm sorry.

So.. if you could offer any feedback on this, I'd be very grateful. Don't be shy with criticism, I'm not sensitive and I think that if you think there's something wrong, you should just share it. Just please don't be a dick about it. Hope you can enjoy this for what it is.
HEY HEY HEY PAY ATTENTION TO ME

...never mind, I got nothing.

Play the blues in five easy steps!
Quote by SGen
1) Be black
2) Have very horrible things happen to you
3) pick up a guitar
4) ???
5) Play blues
sounds pretty good, easily listening piece, you could drag it out by solo-ing/going deeper if you want, but length wise is pretty good
very coffey-house in a movie feeling to me

actually kinda reminds me of the zora's domain theme from majora's mask (zelda nerd)

i like it surprisingly, as far as background/easy-listening music goes. i honestly wouldn't necessarily make it a "song" in the idea of expanding it much at all, its simplicity is the best thing playing for it. hell, i even like the way it's mixed. (obviously it can be improved, but the way the extended notes in the melody allow the rhythm to bump back into the mix is interesting.)

probably isn't helpful, this is how my friend constantly explains music to me and it's rubbing off. it just seems like really awesome, mellow music, almost like elevator stuff (but not quite as jarring). unless you have a very particular kind of voice, though, i can't see it really being sung over or more layers being added or anything honestly. i could see it working as an interlude, or on an easy-listening album or something, but i do hope it goes on something more than a soundcloud account. it's not unique or crazy or anything, but it's fun.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Yeah man, it was surprisingly good. The best advice I can give is to expand on it, I wanna hear some key changes and some plot twists haha. Good stuff!
Thanks, guys, I appreciate all the feedback.

Yeah, I did try some jazz soloing over initially, but when I recorded and listened to it, it felt like a little too much, yknow? It was mostly semistructured improv, anyways, cause I didn't take the time to think it through much.

I suppose the only things I want to change is in the recording. Obviously the metronome is a bit obnoxious, and you can clearly hear my computer fan xD. (i recorded this with the built-in webcam mic)

In reply to Unispex, I'm feeling a little conflicted. Half of me wants to add more to it and flesh it out, and half of me is fine with how it is. We'll see. I'm not really sure what I can do, but I'm gonna attempt to write more and see if it works well or not. If you any suggestions, I'm open.

edit: speaking of jazz soloing, I thought I might mention that this actually came from an attempt to learn how to use Dorian on the piano. I was playing with D Dorian with a Dm7 and then started playing with other chords, mostly ()7 chords, and then voila! This came to be (but it stopped being a Dorian piece). If anyone wants to listen to my experiment on piano, it's on my soundcloud as well.

Quote by SGen
1) Be black
3) pick up a guitar
4) ???
5) Play blues
Last edited by Apples on Cacti at Jan 15, 2012,
nice piece of music, i love the rhythm part.
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by vince1991
nice piece of music, i love the rhythm part.

Thanks, yeah, I actually like the rhythm part a lot more than the lead.

Quote by SGen
1) Be black
3) pick up a guitar
4) ???
5) Play blues
Beautiful. At 1:12 I was really feeling like a chilled out rhythm section should break out, partly because of that random sweep-click sound in the recording there. Know what mean though? with a tight finger-snap-like snare sound, crisp hi hat, and a kick here and there groovin along to a mellow bass line?

Good stuff.
I quite liked it, it was nice and chill, both the rhythm and leads were well thought out and done, and I didn't even mind the metronome. The quality was also surprisingly good for a computer mic, mine sucks.