The Fender is, in most cases, a very poor amp. It is generally considered to have good cleans and very poor distortion. The Vypyr is generally considered one of the best modelling amps available, it is hugely versatile and is likely just what you need.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Any7423
The Fender is, in most cases, a very poor amp. It is generally considered to have good cleans and very poor distortion. The Vypyr is generally considered one of the best modelling amps available, it is hugely versatile and is likely just what you need.

Thanks man so the extra 100 is worth it?
Absolutely, you would be immensely disappointed with the Fender.
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Look into the Peavey Bandit 112. Most people will recommend you get a valve amp, and while they are, in most cases, superior to solid state, I've been down this road, and you can't get a suitable one in this price range, trust me.
Petra - Beyond Belief.
wrong forum...
But yea, bandit is sweet. if you don't need perfect cleans, im sure you could get a decent little 15w tube amp which would work nicely.
There's something wrong about using a modeling amp for gigs.
Quote by Any7423
Look into the Peavey Bandit 112. Most people will recommend you get a valve amp, and while they are, in most cases, superior to solid state, I've been down this road, and you can't get a suitable one in this price range, trust me.

This guy is totally right. Besides the

Peavey Valveking
Marshal Class 5
Jet City JCA
Peavey Windsor
Vox AC4TV
VHT Special 6
Blackheart Little Giant

You absolutely can't get a good tube amp for $400 or less. They also don't sell used tube amps anywhere.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/peavey-windsor-tube-amp-head

They've even got a couple of used ones there for under $300. That would leave you enough to get a decent used 2x12. This is what you want. Just buy it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Any7423

This. A superb, dependable no-frills gigging amp.
In this price range a bandit is a horrible choice.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
In this price range a bandit is a horrible choice.

I beg to differ. They're the most reliable amp you'll get I'm the price range. There's a reason a lot of serious function bands round here use Transtubes even though they're earning £2000 a gig.

Personally, I'd be looking at the Bugera V55 or a maybe even a used DC-3.

That said, the guy hasn't given us any information except budget, so how are we supposed to know what's suitable?
Reliable yes. Shame they sound like a pile of crap. There are Windsors there at MF for $400 new and $250 used so why even discuss a pos like a Bandit?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification