So here's my question. LP Standard Plus, Standard Traditional or Gibson Custom Classic?

I play an LP Studio Silverburst which has the 60's neck profile. I do like the feel of the Baked Maple vs Rosewood. What could I be overlooking. The Custom Classic is about $400 cheaper. No fancy top?
Go and play them.
However, first go and find a better amp.
Doesn't sound like you would be lacking money for a good amp.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Getting my Tweaker at the same time. I already went and played them and am leaning toward the Custom Classic. Just want to make sure I'm not really overlooking something.
3 fairly different constructions of an LP. Trad is weight-relieved, Standards & Custom Classics are chambered. all 3 have different neck profiles, and of course theres the baked maple on the Custom Clasic. If you've tried all 3 and prefer the CC go for it!
Moving on.....
Just realized the CC isn't Plek'd. That is an issue for me lol. Those Plek ones play really nice compared to what I'm used to. I thought my Studio played well after some tinkering, until I played the CC.

That's a bigger issue for me then the top. The CC doesn't have any finish or anything but it does have the new necks (baked maple and asymmetrical). The Traditionals don't really stand out in my mind. I just remember them looking a whole lot prettier.

Am I crazy for letting something like the super plekker machine kill the deal for me? I mean, I'd have to pay $70 minimum for a professional setup. Rather it came out of the box that way.
It shouldn't matter whether or not it's plek'ed if you can try out the exact guitar you are buying. Plek'ing doesn't affect the setup, it's a fret leveling system. Make sure the fretwork is good on the guitar before you hand over your credit card.
Quote by al112987
It shouldn't matter whether or not it's plek'ed if you can try out the exact guitar you are buying. Plek'ing doesn't affect the setup, it's a fret leveling system. Make sure the fretwork is good on the guitar before you hand over your credit card.

+1

If being Plek'd is affecting your decision that much, maybe you should wait until you can actual decide which is the best guitar because of how it feels and sounds to you.
I don't go in and buy the exact model on the wall. Never have. I'd rather gamble on what I'll get on the factory. At least it's new and every person who walked into the shop hasn't had their way with it. Hence the Plek, more consistent feel.
Quote by lilwill000
I don't go in and buy the exact model on the wall. Never have. I'd rather gamble on what I'll get on the factory. At least it's new and every person who walked into the shop hasn't had their way with it. Hence the Plek, more consistent feel.
So, you'd rather gamble on buying a guitar blind than buy a guitar because a few other people have played it? Again, this is why you go examine the guitar before you play. Who cares if other people have touched it if there are no defects? If people have damaged it, you will be able to see it. If anyone has caused any problems, you will notice them if you are thorough. If no one has caused any issues, when who cares?

Again, plek is just a fret finishing service, having level frets, while essential, is just one small part in the feel of the guitar. Especially with Gibsons, whose necks are hand finished, the profiles and sizes can vary widely even on models with the "same" neck. I have a '50s neck that's thinner than any '60s neck that I've played on any Gibson.
Quote by lilwill000
I don't go in and buy the exact model on the wall. Never have. I'd rather gamble on what I'll get on the factory.
This is the worst thing you can do with Gibson.

I've probably said it a million times on here bfore, but it's worth repeating: any and every Gibson can and will vary wildly, regardless of what the spec sheets say.

I've played Gibsons featuring all of the following spec foibles:
50s necks thinner than 60s necks are supposed to be
60s necks thicker than 50s necks are supposed to be
Weight-relieved and chambered bodies weighing more than solid ones
1-piece bodies on production models (great!)
3-piece bodies on Custom Shop models (what the hell?)
Three of the same model of guitar sitting next to each other, all with different species of rosewood
Finishes so thin they flake off on the foam guitar stand
Finishes so thick you can't feel the string vibration
White finishes that have discoloured within mere months of leaving the factory
White finishes that haven't even begun to check after ten years
A heavily chambered guitar sounding brighter than a solid one with a Floyd
Floyds not installed properly so the base constantly smacks the side of the routing and chips the paint
BurstBuckers and 57 Classics that sound clearer and are more responsive than any handwound pickup I've heard
BurstBuckers and 57 Classics that are duller than any stock Epiphone pickup I've heard
Fretwire poorly crowned and a poorly cut nut on a guitar that went through a PLEK machine.
Fretwire and nuts so beautifully crafted it would be a crime to ever replace them.

Buying a Gibson without trying it first is, far more often than not, pissing your money away. There is no reason to drop that kind of money on a guitar you haven't played. Why buy any guitar that isn't exactly how it should be, that isn't right for you? Why put up with "I gambled and got a kind of heavy one, but the tone is okay so I'll live with it"? Why not just get one that's right in every regard?

I say this as someone who owns several Gibsons and has owned others in the past and tried and played so many others he's lost count. Never - never buy any Gibson without trying it first. it doesn't matter if you can get a lower price somewhere else. It doesn't matter if eighty little kids have been through the store and played the guitar first. It doesn't matter if its second hand. It doesn't matter if it's not got the same model name as the one you thought you'd buy.

Nothing in the guitar world compares to finding the one Gibson that's dead-on right for you. Even for eople that normally prefer other brands, there is something truly magical about finding that one, perfect Gibson. It's the one thing the company does still do right.

Do yourself a favour. Forget the model names. Forget the spec sheets. Go to a store, go to several stores. Try out every guitar they have. When you find one you like buy that one. That one, right off the shelf. You'll still be enjoying that guitar thirty years after you've forgotten how much it cost, what the model name was, what the spec was meant to be and where you got it from.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Well mainly because that's not an option. In a perfect world I'd walk into a shop with every one I can imagine. All in great shape. This isn't an option.

As major as the differences can be between two of the same models.. My only two options are to figure out exactly which model I want and order a new one or go used. Money isn't the issue. I've ordered 3 Gibsons this way and haven't had any issues thus far. I'll keep swinging until I strike out.

While I do appreciate the concern. New is really the only option. Sure I could luck out and they have one in inventory that's not on the floor. That'd be the best scenario. Will have a chance to turn it down right then and there. This is still an option if I order though. Can walk right into the store and if I'm that unsatisfied, they'll get another one in.

I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything as far as specs do go. Make more sense of how they price them. I'd probably have more luck figuring it out if they were consistent with the naming scheme.

Why is it so surprising that I'd rather order a brand new one then pay the same price for one in used condition? I'm pretty sure that I'll never find one that's absolutely perfect. I can't be the only person that ever ordered one.
the specs don't matter as much as you think. i have bought two Gibsons over the internet. both are fine guitars. i have bought 5 used and played them. if you have a problem with a reputable online dealer, call and bitch at them. they will get you printable UPS slip, put in box, tape up and they will send you a new one. usually you can get a few $$$ knocked off then as well. if it happens again do the same thing, or cancel and go buy them some other place. yes plec'd guitars feel nice, $400 nice, not worth it IMO. it sets the frets up near perfectly from the factory. it is NOT going to feel that way a year later, frets wear, setups need to be done.

however one thing i will advise against is ordering guitars in the winter (especially classicals and acoustics). when you bring the box in, let it sit for a few minutes, pull the case out, let sit for a few minutes, then open the case. nitro is finicky at times. the only two damaged guitars i have ever received (neither gibsons) were during winter guitars don't like rapid change in temperature.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks. Makes sense. I was thinking it was a little more permanent. I don't know why I thought that.

Think I'll forget the Plek. There's a lot of guys around that can do whatever I can't. Few key features to decide on then place my order. Things like, do I really like the coil splitting that much. Satin backs. That kind of stuff.

Thanks again for all the help guys.
But cracked nitro is super awesome-looking!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
But cracked nitro is super awesome-looking!

Lol I'll pass.
Quote by lilwill000

Why is it so surprising that I'd rather order a brand new one then pay the same price for one in used condition? I'm pretty sure that I'll never find one that's absolutely perfect. I can't be the only person that ever ordered one.
Probably because I don't really consider a guitar that has been on the floor to be in "used condition". If it's just the case where you just feel comfortable knowing that you are the only customer to have touched the guitar before taking it home, then ok, that's fair. I've just gone through too many headaches having a guitar ordered, buying blind and having to have it returned and another one ordered only to have that one also sent back that I'm more comfortable with settling on a guitar that I've tested out several times before committing to buying it, even if it means a few other people have touched it first. Never do I ever see a guitar new a store that is in "used condition," any damage or wear on the guitar can be visually noticed if one is thorough enough and if there is a problem, then I will see it.

That said, any minute problem that would be caused by a few other people playing the guitar for a few minutes at a time in a guitar store would be completely negligible to me anyway. I play my guitars, I (well, used to, not so much anymore) gig them, and use them heavily. So if there is a tiny little nick or dent or scratch somewhere that is caused by someone playing it in the store, I wouldn't really care anyway if I REALLY liked the way that specific guitar played and sounded. Because it's going to get dented, and nicked and scratched anyway when I'm playing it out. It's almost incidental to me.

But that's just my $0.02.
Quote by lilwill000
Lol I'll pass.
Well it happens to all nitro finishes. And it happens to poly finishes too, though it does take far longer. Point is, if you are going to buy a Gibson (any Gibson), eventually you're going to have a guitar with a cracked finish.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by KenG
3 fairly different constructions of an LP. Trad is weight-relieved, Standards & Custom Classics are chambered. all 3 have different neck profiles, and of course theres the baked maple on the Custom Clasic. If you've tried all 3 and prefer the CC go for it!

Whats the diference between wigh relived and chambered? I know what chambering is btw
Weight-relieving is routing small round holes in the body as far from the strings and pickups as possible. You don't take much wood out. The idea is simply to make the body lighter without effecting the tone much.

Chambering involves routing much bigger holes, sometimes even across the whole of the body. It makes it even lighter than weight-relieving and it also effects the tone a lot more.
Quote by MrFlibble
Buying a Gibson without trying it first is, far more often than not, pissing your money away. There is no reason to drop that kind of money on a guitar you haven't played. Why buy any guitar that isn't exactly how it should be, that isn't right for you? Why put up with "I gambled and got a kind of heavy one, but the tone is okay so I'll live with it"?

very much agreed, i think this is partly the reason why you get so many people who say "gibson are overpriced junk, just get an epiphone". either they read all these quality control horror stories and never actually play any gibsons, or they just never played a good one.

don't join the "gibson sucks, i bought one on the internet and it was crap" club, it must suck to be part of that club. it is exactly the reason why the whole anti-gibson thing got started in the first place.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I've heard so many horror stories about Gibsons being not what they used to be. I've honestly played a couple of Gibsons that didn't play all that great in the past. They were fine, but i wouldn't buy them given the price of them.

But never EVER buy a Gibson and not try it. Relatively few manufacturing and CNC processes are used to build them compared to other guitars. A lot of the work is done by hand. I think its a philosophy that Gibson use that each guitar, although being the same model, accommodates a different kind of player.

I only buy guitars that i can't fault given the price of them. I was tempted to order guitars online, possibly getting a better theoretical deal, but i don't care. I'm willing to spend more money if the guitar sounds and plays better and i can negotiate the price down with a bit of know-how and doing lots of research.

I've played a LP Custom that had a bad nut and some finish imperfections brand new. But my particular Gibson is one of the best guitars I've ever played. The intonation is dead on, the action is super low with no buzz, the guitar has tons of sustain and resonance even when the guitar is so light in weight. The finish was utterly pristine after examining it with a fine tooth comb. The only problem was that it needed a bit of oil on the fretboard as it was very dry.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 17, 2012,