Hey there!

My friends guitar has been laying around for awhile without strings, after putting on new strings recently there is ALOT of fret buzz all the way up and down the neck. I'm thinking truss rod, but when trying to add relief to the neck by turning it counter clockwise there is no resistance at all, and u can pretty much loosen the truss rod to the point where it sticks out of the headstock without anything happening to the neck. So the neck is ****ed

What should he do? Should the store cover this or does he have to buy a new neck?

It is a Fender Squier Stratocaster

BTW it's been standing with strings in tune for days before tweaking it.

Thanks
Last edited by FullHorizon at Jan 15, 2012,
Does the guitar have a rattle when you tap the neck? Have you tried turning it in until you do feel resistance?

Could be that the rodd is out of it's nut.

As for what to do, how long has he had it?
Assuming that there is negative relief.. (neck is bowed backwards) check that with either a straight edge or fretting the first string at fret one and fret 22. There should be a gap in the middle of about a mm.

Raise the strings until it's playable (with negative relief, that could be pretty high)... Leave the truss rod alone for now... The string tension should start to add relief on its own... with either a straight edge or fretting the first string at fret one and fret 22, check the relief daily.. when it starts to show back up.. adjust the truss rod accordingly... Took a while for the damage to happen.. will take a while for it to correct..

Good Luck..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Jan 15, 2012,
He's had it for about 5-6 years so the best solution is probably to just keep tweaking with it.

It is obvious that there isn't enough relief, if u fret at 1. and last the string lies dead flat between 7-9 fret. But I think I know what to do next, apparently the strings on it now is 009 gauge which is very light. Gonna try and get some heavy gauge strings on in, let it settle for a while, and then check if the new tension doesn't fix it. Maybe loosing the truss rod after that will show some results. Thanks for the suggestions, and keep em coming if you have any good ideas