View poll results: is it?
Yes
13 68%
No
5 26%
It depends / unsure (explain in post)
1 5%
Voters: 19.
I don't normally make threads like this but this has been dominating my mind for a while now.
Basically, i do a music technology degree (which i began last september), which is not really worth much at all if i did stick it out. I never went to uni in order to get a job though, i went in order to get more experience in music tech and understand more for recording for my own sake, and even more so for the bands too.

But aside from all that, the first day back for me was thursday. I am becoming increasingly disillusioned with the course.

The projects they seem to be starting this time round are honestly things i could do without. Things that i understand but are incredibly time consuming, such as one sampler project using logic, which is going to consume a hell of a lot of my time based upon a lot of different reasons. Not me too much more than anyone else, but still.

On the other hand, it is a degree for whatever that's worth, but i can't really find too many reasons for me to keep at it to be honest. Right now, the main thing that is making me want to keep going to uni is basically just the fact that me and a couple of friends get to go to a teashop in thursday lunch now that the lunch time is longer..

I do value my time, and every time stuff with this uni course comes up i keep thinking 'well, we could have been writing these new songs right now' or 'we could have got the new recordings finished off today', and so on and so forth.

It's also worth me pointing out that i have income right now, and it isn't going to be screwed up whatever i do. It would take quite a bit of explaining for me and it would involve going into a lot of detail that i'm not going into.

TL;DR: (read fully preferably, but if you cant..) Disillusioned with uni course for above reasons, thinking of quitting. Thoughts?
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jan 15, 2012,
If I were you I would stick it out. I dont know if you are in your first year, but if you are, what you are feeling is normal.

I was disillusioned when I first started my degree but I stuck with it and now I am where I want to be... Almost. Even if you dont know where you will end up, getting this degree is just another key to open a door further down the line in your life.

There are other reasons to stay as well. You can build a network of contacts. For example, when I graduated, I couldnt find a job, so I called up a friend and a few good words later, I was in an internship.

If you really are not enjoying the course, try and transfer to something you think you will find more interesting.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Guitardude19
If I were you I would stick it out. I dont know if you are in your first year, but if you are, what you are feeling is normal.

I was disillusioned when I first started my degree but I stuck with it and now I am where I want to be... Almost. Even if you dont know where you will end up, getting this degree is just another key to open a door further down the line in your life.

There are other reasons to stay as well. You can build a network of contacts. For example, when I graduated, I couldnt find a job, so I called up a friend and a few good words later, I was in an internship.

If you really are not enjoying the course, try and transfer to something you think you will find more interesting.

Well it started back in sept.. i'll add that to info

I dunno, it's just like. I can understand the things i'm unhappy with are part of any course really. I think the project they could have given us could have been very very good, but they've twisted it up so much that it's going to involve a lot of sitting down and being irritated, just trying to get the plugins to work properly basically. Which is not good when you're also trying to be creative.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jan 15, 2012,
I know how you feel. I'm in my final year now and uni can be pretty tough to stick to. It takes a radical adjustment in self-discipline to do more work than in school even though it seems like you have so much time to do other, more interesting things. My advice would be: if you're not enjoying the course and don't see yourself getting a job out of it (it is, after all, a sort of 'investment') quit now. Don't get halfway through second year and realise you're still wasting your time. But if you do quit, do another course. Getting a decent job today is going to be a bitch without a degree.
I dunno about music technology, but in the animation field you can't expect your professors to teach you everything. They give you the tools, and they can help you out when you're stuck, but at the end of the day it's you who's gonna have to work your ass off and practice, and uni is a great place to get started with that.

If you're really unhappy with your projects, why don't you talk to your professors about it? That's what they're there for.

Quote by Zoot Allures
Right now, the main thing that is making me want to keep going to uni is basically just the fact that me and a couple of friends get to go to a teashop in thursday lunch now that the lunch time is longer..

Please tell me you're not really serious here.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jan 15, 2012,
Quote by CoreysMonster
I dunno about music technology, but in the animation field you can't expect your professors to teach you everything. They give you the tools, and they can help you out when you're stuck, but at the end of the day it's you who's gonna have to work your ass off and practice, and uni is a great place to get started with that.

If you're really unhappy with your projects, why don't you talk to your professors about it? That's what they're there for.

Please tell me you're not really serious here.

I will definately talk to them next studio session before i make any choices. I'm going to try to find out some more about the specifics of the work in general.

And more or less serious yes, hence the disillusionment and feeling of 'this isn't worth it' and so on.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Well it started back in sept.. i'll add that to info

I dunno, it's just like. I can understand the things i'm unhappy with are part of any course really. I think the project they could have given us could have been very very good, but they've twisted it up so much that it's going to involve a lot of sitting down and being irritated, just trying to get the plugins to work properly basically. Which is not good when you're also trying to be creative.

A part of me thinks you have already told yourself the project is going to be irritating and that creativity will be stifled. I think you have convinced yourself of it and its now clouding your perception slightly, so now you feel a bit down about it.

I think once all the irritating part has been done, you may find it helps your creativity later on. I may be wrong, though as I dont know much more than what you have said.

Though I will add this in. When I was given my final year project, it looked so irritating. I had to do x y z a b c d e f g 1 2 3 4 5 6 things before I could even actually do the research. Once these things were done, free reign. I could do what I wanted. I thought to myself "this could be done so much better if..." and I didnt realise until after that it was my preconceptions that were irritating.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Guitardude19
A part of me thinks you have already told yourself the project is going to be irritating and that creativity will be stifled. I think you have convinced yourself of it and its now clouding your perception slightly, so now you feel a bit down about it.

I think once all the irritating part has been done, you may find it helps your creativity later on. I may be wrong, though as I dont know much more than what you have said.

Though I will add this in. When I was given my final year project, it looked so irritating. I had to do x y z a b c d e f g 1 2 3 4 5 6 things before I could even actually do the research. Once these things were done, free reign. I could do what I wanted. I thought to myself "this could be done so much better if..." and I didnt realise until after that it was my preconceptions that were irritating.

That could well be true, like i say i need to get specifics in better detail from my teacher. There may still be hope that it isn't quite as annoying as it seems.
Aw don't say that dude. That's the course I'm applying for.

Though I am looking for a career in that industry, so maybe it'll be a different mindset that works. But stick it out, really. Otherwise you have a debt over your head for nothing, and if you decide to go back and do something else, you'll have a tripled cost debt on top of that.
I find people view music tech as a doss qualification anyway. If you want to use it to learn how to record fair play, but i bet there isn't a single technician/producer that used their music tech degree to get a job in a studio.
Also, in addition to what everyone else is saying, a degree is useful anyway.
I mean, it may come handy one day in the future.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I'm in second year doing audio technology (pretty much the same course) and I felt like you a bit last year, there were a lot of things that I just wasn't that interested in, and the projects weren't that great. Second year's been a lot more interesting so far, and everything's getting more and more freeform so the room for creativity is increasing. I'm happy to stick with the course and see where it goes, but it's your decision.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by jgbsmith
I'm in second year doing audio technology (pretty much the same course) and I felt like you a bit last year, there were a lot of things that I just wasn't that interested in, and the projects weren't that great. Second year's been a lot more interesting so far, and everything's getting more and more freeform so the room for creativity is increasing. I'm happy to stick with the course and see where it goes, but it's your decision.

This is something I can imagine to be very true. No matter what you study, the first couple of semesters are covering the basics to make sure you understand everything you're doing from the ground up. Often, the more interesting things don't come until you really know wtf you're doing in the first place.

On the other hand, I was told that engineering gets a lot cooler in the last two semesters of the Bachelor and in the Master programme, but that wasn't enough to make me want to sit through 2 years of boring, dry EE lectures, so I quit.

When I started animation, the first two were kinda slow and we were all very enthusiastic to break out and do huge projects from the start, only to realise that we were trying to do WAY too much in too little time. A very important lesson you learn in these projects is to be able to estimate how much you can actually do in a certain amount of time, so even if the project might not be something that gets you really misty-eyed, you're still learning an incredibly valuable lesson.

Not to mention the fact that in the industry, you're always going to have to deal with projects you think are retarded, but you won't be able to turn them down because you need the money.
I've got friends doing a similar course who've gone through the same thing.
I honestly don't think music tech is a great degree but it's better than no degree at all. Thought about transfering into a different course? It would probably be better than dropping out entirely if you're really not enjoying it.