hi guys and girls i have some questions
1- why it is harder for me to play alternative picking on the three high strings when it is not that hard on the low one?
2- i'm trying to shred for about 1 year now and i don't see any progression this last mounths what am i doing wrong i pick up some exercices (3notes per strings 4 notes ...) and i play them over the metrenom what am i doing wrong :'(
In relation to the first question, I recently found that I keep my palm in the same place for whichever string I pick, so my hand had to stretch more to reach the higher strings, adding tension and slowing me down. To counter this, I've made an attempt to release my palm from the top of the guitar, and move my hand depending on which string I'm picking, maintaining the best angle for picking at all times.
As for the metronome, it's easy to develop a mental barrier/plateau, and I find that the best way to break this is to occasionally move to a tempo too fast for you (just once or twice), making the previous tempo feel easy in comparison.
Not sure if any of this will help you, but I've been in the same place as you before
Jamie
Stop trying to shred. Seriously. You will know when you are ready.

Focus on theory, note selection, bends, vibrato. Things that people give a shit about.

Speed should be a way of increasing the intensity of solo, of exciting the listener. The best guitar players often the ones who use speed sparingly when it counts. Gary Moore, Eric johnson, Satriani, Vai, Adrian Smith all come to mind.

If you are going to work with a metronome. Set it really low (40bpmish) and focus on

1. Picking dynamics (up and downstrokes should be even)

2. Finger control ( keep your fingers close to the fretboard and don't let your pinky fly off when you're not using it)

3. Muting ( your palm and index finger tip should mute the lower strings and the flesh of your index finger should mute the higher one)

4. Angleing the pick ( make sure you are angleing the pick a little, this helps it cut through the strings easier. You should be able to change the angle why you are playing. Experiment with the different attack each angle gives you. I like to keep mine around 45 degrees most of the time)

5. Make sure you aren't tense ( this includes anywhere in the body )

6. Keep in time ( when playing with a metronome, always know what notes you are playing e.g 16th notes or 8th notes etc.

7. Be patient. Speed will come with time and perfect practice.

8. Enjoy the guitar

There are points but i hope you take note of what i've said. Thats pretty much an essay on good practice
Quote by mrbabo91
Stop trying to shred. Seriously. You will know when you are ready.

Focus on theory, note selection, bends, vibrato. Things that people give a shit about.

Speed should be a way of increasing the intensity of solo, of exciting the listener. The best guitar players often the ones who use speed sparingly when it counts. Gary Moore, Eric johnson, Satriani, Vai, Adrian Smith all come to mind.

If you are going to work with a metronome. Set it really low (40bpmish) and focus on

1. Picking dynamics (up and downstrokes should be even)

2. Finger control ( keep your fingers close to the fretboard and don't let your pinky fly off when you're not using it)

3. Muting ( your palm and index finger tip should mute the lower strings and the flesh of your index finger should mute the higher one)

4. Angleing the pick ( make sure you are angleing the pick a little, this helps it cut through the strings easier. You should be able to change the angle why you are playing. Experiment with the different attack each angle gives you. I like to keep mine around 45 degrees most of the time)

5. Make sure you aren't tense ( this includes anywhere in the body )

6. Keep in time ( when playing with a metronome, always know what notes you are playing e.g 16th notes or 8th notes etc.

7. Be patient. Speed will come with time and perfect practice.

8. Enjoy the guitar

There are points but i hope you take note of what i've said. Thats pretty much an essay on good practice
+1
Quote by mrbabo91

Got it in one.
Basicly, this is how I learned:
I'd turn my pick 90 degrees where the pick slides on and off the string easier, then one day I turned it back over and I could do it no problem.
Quote by mado-elodie
hi guys and girls i have some questions
1- why it is harder for me to play alternative picking on the three high strings when it is not that hard on the low one?
2- i'm trying to shred for about 1 year now and i don't see any progression this last mounths what am i doing wrong i pick up some exercices (3notes per strings 4 notes ...) and i play them over the metrenom what am i doing wrong :'(

1- not enough practice
2 - not enough practice

3- still.. youre the pioneer of alternative picking i could be wrong
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.