I play punk/metal (Rise Against, Green Day, Sum 41, Metallica, Offspring, Megadeth etc.)

My amp has three knobs under EQ: High, Low and Mid. There is also a reverb knob.
Could you please tell me the settings required to play this type of music?

Thanks!

Also, I know Green Day isn't punk. I just like Mike Dirnt's basslines. lol.
Another one of these threads... try and use the search function in future. In a nutshell:

For the trebley Rise Against, Megadeth sort of sound, scoop your mids and boost your treble a bit (bizarre, eh?), play aggressively with a pick. You won't get somebodies tone just by adjusting your EQ, there's a lot more too it. For most of these sort of sounds you probably want a touch of overdrive blended in too.
Yeah, mid scoop means you "scoop" them out, cutting them. For that kind of aggressive trebley sound you essentially want to have a smiley shape face in your EQ. Bit of a boost to the bass, bit of a cut to the mids, and a boost to the treble. Don't over-do it though, radical boosts/cuts usually sound bad.
You need drive for that tone. Buy yourself a SansAmp Bass Driver and this sort of tone will instantly become much easier.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You say Reverb knob? You're not using a guitar amp are you?
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Yeah, mid scoop means you "scoop" them out, cutting them. For that kind of aggressive trebley sound you essentially want to have a smiley shape face in your EQ. Bit of a boost to the bass, bit of a cut to the mids, and a boost to the treble. Don't over-do it though, radical boosts/cuts usually sound bad.

I don't have a graphic EQ, but okay, if you mean doing the same to the knobs. Thanks!

You need drive for that tone. Buy yourself a SansAmp Bass Driver and this sort of tone will instantly become much easier.

Any way to get a tone even remotely close without drive? Because my parents won't let me get one for the next year or two, only just got my bass+amp. Thanks anyways.

You say Reverb knob? You're not using a guitar amp are you?

I'm pretty sure it's a bass amp :O. It's a Kustom Sound Cube20R. It would have had distortion and stuff in a guitar amp right? You scare me lol. Thanks.
It's technically a keyboard amp, which is fine, it's not unheard of for people use keyboard amps with bass. However it means that there will be no way to add gain at all without an external pedal, you don't have to get SansAmp, there are cheaper alternatives, but the amp you have has pretty much no tonality of it's own.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Don't worry about reverb. The rest depends on how your guitar player has himself EQd. The best way to find out what's going to work for your specific band is to record practices and write down your EQ settings. Listen to the recording and make changes to your EQ (take notes to how you change) until you reach an eq setting that can be heard distinctly.

One important thing to remember is if you fiddle with your eq by yourself and find something sweet it won't always sound good in a band setting. You have to listen to yourself with the band. Lots of excellent bass tones sound poop by themselves, but in the mix are killer.

A good rule of thumb is to start with a flat eq. Do not boost or cut anything majorly. I would even say boost your mids slightly to start with.

If your guitar(s) scooped and you scoop too you can say goodbye to being heard with the band. In aggressive metal with a heavy guitar focus you won't be heard unless you use mids. Scoop and you may as well not even be there. This is why there's lots of stigma about bass never being heard in metal. Because most bassists don't know how to eq.

I dunno about those other punk bands.

Don't worry about trying to copy their tones. Find something that you think sounds sweet with the gear you own.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Jan 18, 2012,