Hey bass dudes,

I haven't been here in a long time, so forgive me if this has been brought up before. I did a search and everything. One of the most gorgeous bass guitar tones that I've ever heard has got to be Streetlight Manifesto's (particular on "Somewhere in the Between," both the album and the song). I have never been able to figure out the words to accurately describe his tone, but it's exactly what I want to sound like when I play.

Does anybody have any idea what kind of equipment/settings the guy uses? It almost sounds round enough to be a fretless bass, though I'm almost positive it's not.

Thanks!
Does anybody have any idea what kind of equipment/settings the guy uses? It almost sounds round enough to be a fretless bass, though I'm almost positive it's not.

It almost certainly is a fretless. Go and listen to the whole of Keasby Nights by the original lineup of Catch 22 and you'll hear that not only did Josh Ansley has the same tone way back then, but that the slides on that album would be near impossible to play fretted.
Quote by RatzaChewy
It almost certainly is a fretless. Go and listen to the whole of Keasby Nights by the original lineup of Catch 22 and you'll hear that not only did Josh Ansley has the same tone way back then, but that the slides on that album would be near impossible to play fretted.

Yeah, that album was DEFINITELY on a fretless. However, I think they're on their 3rd or 4th bassist at this point, and I'd swear I've seen him play a fretted bass.
Quote by Hergiswi
Yeah, that album was DEFINITELY on a fretless. However, I think they're on their 3rd or 4th bassist at this point, and I'd swear I've seen him play a fretted bass.

Apologies, Pete McCullough (the bassist for Somewhere in the Between) plays a Lakland 55-01 with a rosewood fretboard from what I've seen.
An active bass will be your friend, when trying to cop the Streetlight tone.

I've been able to get pretty damn close with my active Ibanez CT 5. But i've heard a few bands do Streetlight covers, and most of them were done with Ibanes SR series basses. They all sounded pretty spot on.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."