So i've always been interested in recording but never actually tried it. Lately i've been curious and wanting to get my foot in the door so I need some help with equipment. I'm, thinking I could just mic up the instruments, plug the mic into an interface and plug that into my laptop or desktop via usb. Fist off, is that correct? And second, what all gear would I need? I'm tting something like a shure sm57 mic, (just seems to be a good option and isn't terribly expensive. Now for an interface and software I dont really have any idea. I want something inexpensive and simple for now, I dont want to spend a ton of money for professional quality stuff, just want to start familiarizing myself with the process. What, in your opinions, is some good, inexpensive entry level equipment/software to look into?
GEAR:
Fender MIM Strat (all black everthing!)
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

Power Chords and Downstrums
Line 6 UX1 is a pretty good/cheap interface. And for software I suggest Reaper. It's free until you decide to buy the license (unlimited free trial)
Quote by JWG2007
Line 6 UX1 is a pretty good/cheap interface. And for software I suggest Reaper. It's free until you decide to buy the license (unlimited free trial)

Sweet thank you! Is the free version of reaper super stripped down compared to the paying version?
GEAR:
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

M-Audio Fast track is usually a good choice for beginners, comes with a stripped down version of Pro Tools. No matter what you do though, never, ever, ever get a tascam interface, no matter what the price is, and no matter what a sales person says lol. They are garbage =P
ledzeppelin7510 wrote:

come on guys, this could be great for Portnoy; remember when Neil Peart left Rush to join My Chemical Romance? Oh...wait...
Quote by ptregaskis
Sweet thank you! Is the free version of reaper super stripped down compared to the paying version?

No problem man, and no its the full version.
Thanks for the advice guys, i'll look into both those programs. Is the shure mic I mentioned a pretty solid choice for micing up amps?
GEAR:
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

Quote by ptregaskis
Thanks for the advice guys, i'll look into both those programs. Is the shure mic I mentioned a pretty solid choice for micing up amps?

Yeah the sm57 is pretty much the go-to mic for recording guitar.
Definitely start out with the sm57. Then add more to your arsenal as you see fit.
Twitter
Soundcloud

ESP LTD EC-500
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Krankenstein 4x12 Cabinet
Alesis M-EQ 230
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby GC95
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
all good information on here.. i would like to add the M-audio fast track is a good choice, however it only has 1 input. if you want more possibilities like double micing your amp the m-audio fast track pro is a good choice. it has 2 inputs so you can record 2 tracks at the same time. it has some other advantages to and it's pretty cheap. it also comes with pro tools SE
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Awesome, thanks guys, now I just gotta, wait for payday!
GEAR:
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2