Hey all, so was playing around a bit today and started playing some early AC/DC esque style stuff, I came up with a riff that basically consists of B5, E5 and A5. I was wondering what scale I would use to write a solo over that riff? Or what key its in? I dunno what the procedure is with determining what key a powerchord riff is in?
If you're going for an AC/DC sound, I'd try B minor, E minor, and A minor scales when soloing. That riff could be in the key of any of the chords you mentioned, so play around with it and see what sounds right.
It's a I IV V in E major, you couldn't get a more straightforward progression - it's just a standard blues progression.

Use E minor pentatonic over it - same as every blues and blues rock song ever writtin in the key of E major uses.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It's a I IV V in E major, you couldn't get a more straightforward progression - it's just a standard blues progression.

Use E minor pentatonic over it - same as every blues and blues rock song ever writtin in the key of E major uses.

No.

If the progression was E5 A5 B5 then you'd be correct, but since it starts on the B5 it's far more likely resolving to the B. So the progression is probably Bm A Em (Bminor) or more likely Bm A E (B Dorian/A major). So I would say stick to your B blues scale and throw in some B Dorian for extra flavour.

Think Thunderstruck by AC/DC...
Personally id be all over B mixolydian on that chord progression, especially if it's AC/DC-like.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by icronic
No.

If the progression was E5 A5 B5 then you'd be correct, but since it starts on the B5 it's far more likely resolving to the B. So the progression is probably Bm A Em (Bminor) or more likely Bm A E (B Dorian/A major). So I would say stick to your B blues scale and throw in some B Dorian for extra flavour.

Think Thunderstruck by AC/DC...

I guess it depends how the chords are being used, can't really tell for sure without hearing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com