Are there any good amps (no tube amps) in the price range of the Vox VT20+ (around 230 USD) that you guys know of?

I would like to be able to record what I play, in an acceptable quality, but I have a limited budget. I really like the Vox VT20+ but it doesn't have a USB interface.

Another question : is the quality of my computer's soundcard a limiting factor? Or isn't it used to record and does the amp simply send sounddata over USB to my computer, to the software that comes with the amp?
Does it need to be an amp?

The reason I ask, is because there are very few amps that have USB interfaces built in, and out of those, very few that actually sound good.

If you already have an amp, just keep that. $230 will buy you a great recording interface, that you won't have to upgrade anytime soon. The Focusrite Saffire 6 is the best in its price range, and you should be able to find one around the price of the VT20. Using free amp sims on your computer, you'll be able to get much higher quality recordings than any of the amps with built in USB connections will ever give you.

And no, the sound card is not a limiting factor. The interface replaces your sound card.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
lokk into the fender mustang series,1000x than the vt series (i have owned both) and it has usb, fender fuse which allows you to tweak anything on your amp and they come with free recording software that is decent. they are made for any budget. $99-$399
Quote by dmbb1239
lokk into the fender mustang series,1000x than the vt series (i have owned both) and it has usb, fender fuse which allows you to tweak anything on your amp and they come with free recording software that is decent. they are made for any budget. $99-$399

I don't have an amp yet, so just a POD isn't gonna cut it
I would just like to have the ability to record something I play, without any unwanted noise.

Edit: I just had a look at the Fender Mustang II, and it's EXACTLY the same price as the VOX VT20+ ! I've found this website that shows some sound you can get, but the recorded ones seem to have quite a bit of clipping going on?

Has anyone of you guys ever recorded anything with a fender mustang?
Last edited by Kristof_EG at Jan 16, 2012,
Quote by Kristof_EG
I'll have a look at that one. I don't have an amp yet, so just a POD isn't gonna cut it
I would just like to have the ability to record something I play, without any unwanted noise.

Have you ever recorded anything with a fender mustang?

yes it has a usb plug that goes straight to your computer and it records right into audacity or the included software. its capable of getting any tone to record as well no need for a mic just yet, but further on a must. it also includes dvd tutorials of how to do anything on the amp.

A lot of reviews are saying that the previews aren't really that good. I'm not really familiar with amplifiers and stuff, and I don't want to end up with an amp that always needs to be connected to a computer in order to sound good.

What do you guys think about that? Will it always have to be plugged in to the computer?
Last edited by Kristof_EG at Jan 17, 2012,