Ok so I have a PRS SE in "tobacco sunburst" and it was made in 2008.

I have quite acidic sweat (strings don't last me very long ) and a few months ago the chromey coloured finish wore off the stoptail bridge and now I'm left with a copper colour underneath.

But the thing is, now that my guitar looks partially worn, I was wondering whether or not the finish on the body would wear off from playing (similar to old strats) as I really like the look of em.

I know this may sound like a dumb question, but does anyone know whether this will happen, as I'm unsure whether it's a nitro finish or not.

Thanks

EDIT: Picture of the guitar in question

Check out my fitness blog here
Last edited by maiden_man_666 at Jan 15, 2012,
No.

At least, not in your lifetime.

It will crack and chip, and you can damage it, but your PRS SE won't wear like the old Strats. It needs to have a thin Nitrocellulose Lacquer for it to do that.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
No.

At least, not in your lifetime.

It will crack and chip, and you can damage it, but your PRS SE won't wear like the old Strats. It needs to have a thin Nitrocellulose Lacquer for it to do that.

So I take it the SE range don't use nitrocellulose lacquers? Because I read somewhere that some of them did
Quote by maiden_man_666
So I take it the SE range don't use nitrocellulose lacquers? Because I read somewhere that some of them did

Not even all American PRS Guitars use Nitrocellulose. In fact, I'm not sure any PRS guitars have Nitrocellulose finishes.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Aww ok I want a guitar with a finish like Rory Gallagher's
Last edited by maiden_man_666 at Jan 15, 2012,
Quote by maiden_man_666
Aww ok I want a guitar with a finish like Rory Gallagher's

Haha. Diddos.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by KenG
Nope. Polyurethane.

yeah pretty much

i mean unless you're sweating concentrated hydrochloric acid

does acid even react with polyurethane?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
PRS use standard poly on their SE line and their own weird acrylic finish on their MIA guitars. Poly takes a very, very long time to discolour and check (upwards of thirty years, with few exceptions) and PRS' acrylic forumla was designed by them specifically to not thin and crack.

That said, the look of Rory Gallagher's iconic Strat is more down to handling than anything else. It may not seem like much, but every time you touch the surface of any guitar you take a tiny (completely invisible to the naked eye) layer off the finish. Even with thick poly finishes. Over the years this all adds up and strips away the finish.

Or you can save time and break out the sandpaper.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
PRS use standard poly on their SE line and their own weird acrylic finish on their MIA guitars. Poly takes a very, very long time to discolour and check (upwards of thirty years, with few exceptions) and PRS' acrylic forumla was designed by them specifically to not thin and crack.

That said, the look of Rory Gallagher's iconic Strat is more down to handling than anything else. It may not seem like much, but every time you touch the surface of any guitar you take a tiny (completely invisible to the naked eye) layer off the finish. Even with thick poly finishes. Over the years this all adds up and strips away the finish.

Or you can save time and break out the sandpaper.

Aww the thing is I don't want to relic is myself because it's cheating

But I can't see me playing just this guitar for the rest of my life

Thanks for the replies though guys
Quote by kangaxxter
Not even all American PRS Guitars use Nitrocellulose. In fact, I'm not sure any PRS guitars have Nitrocellulose finishes.

Pretty sure they all have the V12 finish...

Quote by maiden_man_666
Aww the thing is I don't want to relic is myself because it's cheating

But I can't see me playing just this guitar for the rest of my life

Thanks for the replies though guys

Why did you buy it then?

If your are going to wear it down and then sell it, you just harming your own resale value...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by Controlpanel
Pretty sure they all have the V12 finish...

Why did you buy it then?

If your are going to wear it down and then sell it, you just harming your own resale value...

I'll probably keep it forever, but I've just started a new job so I'll probably get something else as well
Quote by maiden_man_666
I'll probably keep it forever, but I've just started a new job so I'll probably get something else as well

The road worn strats have a nitro finish. And don't worry, fender cheated for you. They come relic'd.

Or you can shell out 3k and get a rory strat.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Gibson are one of the few brands that still use the Nitro finish commonly.

They're pretty annoying cuz you have to be careful with leaving them on stands. It's very possible for the nitro to pick up rubber from the stand leaving black marks on your guitar!
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by JKHC
The road worn strats have a nitro finish. And don't worry, fender cheated for you. They come relic'd.

Or you can shell out 3k and get a rory strat.

I'd never by a relic'd guitar :P

After shows people would come up to me asking me to "tell me the story of my guitar" and i'll seem a right idiot saying "oh I bought it like this"
But then you'd also say that buying a used guitar that has been aged.

I don't mind relic jobs, but they just usually look awful. I'd never get one that has been heavily distressed but I like the look of aged guitars. The "under the bed" look has always been a personal favorite of mine.
Quote by al112987
But then you'd also say that buying a used guitar that has been aged.

I don't mind relic jobs, but they just usually look awful. I'd never get one that has been heavily distressed but I like the look of aged guitars. The "under the bed" look has always been a personal favorite of mine.

Yeah I know what you mean, some relic jobs look so unrealistic too
Yep, Fender does a good job on their high end relics though.

That looks good. I'd never buy it, but I think it looks ok.

But the cheaper roadworn ones look absolutely atrocious.
The relic jobs the Fender Custom Shop does are great, mostly because they really do just trash the body and hardware for real. They throw them between rooms that are freezing cold then really hot, flog them with car keys, drop them, rub various textures against them. They're actually just as legitmately aged as any 'real' 40-year-old guitar is. It's a shame the Road Worn ones are actually treated with more care and worn to a template with sandpaper.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The relic jobs the Fender Custom Shop does are great, mostly because they really do just trash the body and hardware for real. They throw them between rooms that are freezing cold then really hot, flog them with car keys, drop them, rub various textures against them. They're actually just as legitmately aged as any 'real' 40-year-old guitar is. It's a shame the Road Worn ones are actually treated with more care and worn to a template with sandpaper.

Haha damn don't you wish you could do that? Would be a hell of a lot of fun!
Like "The Duck" relic guitars. There cool, but they're weird.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
I never really wanted one of the relic'd guitars because it takes away that fun of getting your first ding or wear mark. Plus, you won't know what to tell people when they say "damn dude did you chuck your car keys at that?" ... "...ummm" lol
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE