Ok so I have a spider 4 line 6 15 watt amp and a fender strat loaded with texas specials, but I've been looking into an ibanez ts9 tube screamer, would it sound ok with my set up, and maybe give me an even better tone??
Here is an example of my tone with the spider (I know they're hated, but with the right tweaks it gives a nice tone, sorry for the bad playing this was filmed a long time ago, I'm a lot better now)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2e8O2poPes&feature=channel_video_title

Any other ideas to improve my tone would be cool to, thanks!
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
If you want to improve your tone go and buy a better amp.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Amp is the first thing you'll want to improve.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
As everybody has said if you want to improve your amp get a different amp. Sounds harsh but it is the truth. Doesn't even have to be something expensive - eg. Blackstar HT5 or if you still require modelling Peavey Vypyr etc
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Have you guys even checked the video, it has an ok tone with the settings I have, and recommend me an amp? $120 at the most haha
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Have you guys even checked the video, it has an ok tone with the settings I have, and recommend me an amp? $120 at the most haha

An overdrive pedal into a bad modelling amp will still sound like crap, so yes, we recommending a new amp.
And 120$ won't get you very much of an improvement.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
A tubescreamer won't really fit well with a spider, so a new amp is really what you should get.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar

No it doesn't. It sounds bad.

Please be logical with this. Wait, save some money, and buy a decent amplifier. Don't blow 120 bucks now on something that won't do anything with that amp.

Trust me. I have a Texas Special equipped strat, a Spider 15, and a few TS clones.
I've heard that crates are pretty good for around my price, would you recommend them?
~Jimi Hendrix
Yes but the point is that is the best it will ever sound (assuming it is already the best you could make it sound with the eq etc). From my experience plugging Overdrive pedals in front of a modelling amp has very little positive affect.
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
I had a crate, wasn't a huge fan. These guys are right when they say wait and save, you will be alot happier in the end.
MY GEAR:
2001 Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster

2004 PRS SE EG with SD JB in bridge and staggered single coils in middle and neck position

2011 Epiphone Tom Delonge ES-333

2010 Fender Frontman 212R

2011 Vox Tonelab ST
Hmmm well what about orange, or the cheaper fender amps? I might save up for a marshall half stack though.
~Jimi Hendrix
Why would you even overdrive a modelling amp... it is supposed to have those things onboard already.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
No offence, but your video sounds really bad. If you want to improve your tone, an amp is the first step. And I'm afraid there isn't anything at 120 $, not even as a second hand. You gotta save more, in case you really want to play. If you just want to move your fingers on a fingerboard, you just don't need a better tone. But I guess you want to play and improve.
Music means sacrifices, I must tell you after some 30 years of playing. In some cases, you pay for the badge, true, but in 99% of the cases, if you want to sound and play good, you just gotta pay more. Much more.
Because a better amp (or stompboxes) will only improve your sound. If you really wanna sound the right way, though, there's a lot more needed! A power conditioner, a silent power supply for the stompboxes, and good cables (like Evidence, George L, Elixir or Planet Wave, at least). Even the patchcables that link the stompboxes need to be premium quality (I use Ibanez PSC, for instance, but again, there's Evidence, George L...), otherwise your expensive line-up will efficiently collect noise from the plug or RFI/ EMI interferences...
If you aren't ready for these investments, you might still consider buying a real amp. A Marshall Class 5, a Fender Champion, a Vox AC4 won't break your wallet, but will give you a great tone.
get a marshall half stack if its a jcm or similar. mg, avt, valvestates etc are all not worth it
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
I've got a little fender frontman 10w. It's a great amp for playing at home, and actually can get really loud for being so small. It's got a pretty good clean tone, and sounds much better with a pedal running to it.
Get a new amp before you do anything else, I implore you. Anything will be better than a Line 6 Spider.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
For everyone that's saying get a new amp, well that's a huge part of your tone. So yes, get a new amp. Your tone isn't very good in that video but what made me notice it was your playing. This isn't another one of those "tone is in your hands" plugs because gear definitely matters but with some more practice you could make the tone workable.

There are a lot of low watt tube amps out there that would dramatically improve your basic tone though.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jan 15, 2012,
Get a low wattage tube amp, if you want to improve your tone right away. The Fender Champion 600 sits right at $120.

IMO, though, I'd say just be content with what you have until you both know what guitar sound you want as your primary sound, and have a bigger budget. There is no shame in learning and practicing on beginner equipment. George Harrison used crap gear right up until he joined the Beatles.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Egnater and Blackheart make small, affordable tube amps that would sound great with an overdrive pedal in front of them.

The Peavey Vypyr is also very good in my opinion, but I would suggest getting the 30 watt one as it has a 12" speaker instead of the 15 watt's 8".
Quote by Pac_man0123
Egnater and Blackheart make small, affordable tube amps that would sound great with an overdrive pedal in front of them.

The Peavey Vypyr is also very good in my opinion, but I would suggest getting the 30 watt one as it has a 12" speaker instead of the 15 watt's 8".

seconding all of the statements made here.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
What I find strange is that no one has mentioned that a tubescreamer is mainly a boost pedal so that you can drive VALVES harder getting a tighter distorted tone using lower gain settings on your amp.

It's not gonna work on a SS amp. All that pushing transistors harder does it make it sound worse...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!