Hey guys, I have a P bass deluxe and i love it, but im in a metal band and i just want a better sound for metal so im looking to get some new pickups for the bass. It just seems to me that most pickups that they make for metal are soapbar pickups and not made for p basses. I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of some good P/J pickup combos that are good for metal or possibly just p bass pickups bc i don't really use the jazz pickup in the mix but maybe if it was better i would use it. I don't know much about pickups so anything helps thanks guys.
WHAT. You can probably do just fine with the bass you have man! The fender P pup can give you the pure chunk that sounds sexy for metal. Just turn down the J pup like you have been.

But...If you want some hot P/J pups that are typically good for metal because they do have that "hot" signal. Go for some EMG's.

http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/58/24
Main Basses:
Warwick RB Corvette 5
Douglas Sculptor 825 NA Fretless 5

Main Rig:
Sansamp>GK Backline 600>2 GK BLX 210 Cabinets
IF you want to reroute your bass to allow for active pick ups you can do that... and the bass EMG aren't not that well regarded.

Or you can get the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pick up set, which is pretty much to go to for extra grit J and p-bass pups
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jan 15, 2012,
my bass already has active pickups and i know my bass sounds fine but it gets a little muddy when i play in drop tunings. i just want an upgrade to kindof mess with it. i feel like i could get a lot cleaner sound.
Good chance that isn't your pick ups, what tuning are you using and what string gauge?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
That doesn't really help. How thick is your thickest string? Also what amp are you using?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
50-105, my amp is a peavey combo amp its got a 15" speaker its like 200 watts or something like that idk what its actually called
Quote by 4ply87
50-105

They're gonna be a little floppy at that tuning to be honest, which will explain the increased muddyness. Hop up to a set which is 110 on the low E and you'll find the bass sounds much better in the drop tuning.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by 4ply87
my bass already has active pickups and i know my bass sounds fine but it gets a little muddy when i play in drop tunings. i just want an upgrade to kindof mess with it. i feel like i could get a lot cleaner sound.

I'm pretty certain unless your pickups are aftermarket, that the Deluxe comes with passive pickups but an active preamp

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
How do you eq?

How is your string action set?

How is your neck relief set?

Also do you play with a pick or your fingers?

Does your amp have a tweeter? Or is it just the one 15?

There are things you can address before spending money on equipment.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Jan 16, 2012,
Also, just for the sake of everyone, a little pet peeve of mine:

SOAPBAR IS NOT A TYPE OF PICKUP - IT IS THE SHAPE OF THE CASING. MOST CONTAIN EITHER J OR P PICKUPS.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Quote by Killerfridge
Also, just for the sake of everyone, a little pet peeve of mine:

SOAPBAR IS NOT A TYPE OF PICKUP - IT IS THE SHAPE OF THE CASING. MOST CONTAIN EITHER J OR P PICKUPS.
oh I'm so glad you said "most"
well, im going to change my string guages and raise my action a little bit before i do anything haha
Bass tone in metal is so varied. You're gonna have to be far more specific. Do you want a Steve Harris kind of tone? David Ellefson perhaps? I think your pickups should be able to do it, just use the J a little more.