I have had my Ibanez guitar for over 2 and a half years now and am seeing wear taking place one the frets. I play the guitar everyday and at least a few hours a day. How often do you recommend refretting?
2 years is probably a good amount of time, some guys go longer but if you are seeing some wear in the frets and its starting to feel cruddy then have em done, a freshly fretted gtr feels great!
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Uh... depends. Do you have any buzzing or dead notes? A fret can LOOK worn, but still function completely fine and until you start having problems, you don't need to fix anything. But if you are starting to experience problems with uneven frets, then you would get the frets dressed/leveled and crowned.

Refretting is typically considered when leveling is no longer an option (ie. the frets have become too low). I've seen complete refret jobs cost $300.
Quote by gerraguitar
2 years is probably a good amount of time, some guys go longer but if you are seeing some wear in the frets and its starting to feel cruddy then have em done, a freshly fretted gtr feels great!
2 years for a refret? I've had a guitar for 10 years that I have gotten the frets leveled twice and have yet to come anywhere close to needing a refret. Having "some wear" does not necessitate completely refretting a guitar.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 15, 2012,
Havent had any dead notes or buzzing yet. Just curious mostly. I felt it was getting close to being time.
What you need is a fret crown/level/dress. Not a refret. A refret every 2 years would be ridiculous.
Quote by WesCThomp
Havent had any dead notes or buzzing yet. Just curious mostly. I felt it was getting close to being time.
When frets wear, they will always look worse than they. When you start getting buzzing or dead notes that are due to uneven frets, then you will need to think about getting a leveling done, which will cost significantly less than a refret.
Quote by Roc8995
What you need is a fret crown/level/dress. Not a refret. A refret every 2 years would be ridiculous.

This, I have a 24 year old Carvin with its original frets.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
It's highly variable. About $100 typically, which is why you typically don't do it until you actually need to do it.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 15, 2012,
I paid 120 USD.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Three of my guitars are 10 plus years old and none of them have needed a refret. I would go with a fret dress and level and have them recrowned only if they needed it.
One consideration to refret is if you want to change the size or upgrade to SS. I'm considering it myself for a couple of mine. 6100 SS frets feel nice!
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
My old Ibby is 30 years old and has been played heaps, for 10 years it was my gigging guitar exclusively. I thought the frets were beyond saving but before I replaced them I thought I'd just give it a fret dressing for shits and giggles. They came up beautifully and doesn't need a refret at all.
Refretting every 2 years? What are the frets made out of? Plasticine?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Roc8995

Tell that to Steve Morse.
I'd hate to see the fretboard on a 30 year old guitar that had been refretted every 2 years. You'd be able to remove the frets mid-song.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
fretless solo? give me 2 minutes.......ok let's do this!
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
fretless solo? give me 2 minutes.......ok let's do this!

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
apply fast fret every time u play it will keep the frets from wearing down as fast
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster