hey guys..i've got a Peavey Vyper 30..I want to upgrade...do you think a vyper 60 tube a good upgrade..or should i stay away from modeling amps?

thanks
Stay away from ALL modeling amps. They're a jack of all trades, master of none. What type of music do you play? Do you play live? Your guitar(s)?
I myself have never cared as much for modeling amps. Although I was at a friends house last night and played through his and found myself liking tone more then I had previously. I love the tone of peavey amps even though they never seem to last long with me. I having be with Marshall a few years now and thats what I go with.
I agree with Myaccount876. Modeling amps can have to many options to get a great sound. It just depends on your needs.
I like playing metal and classic rock. I have a schecter damien 81/85 emgs actives...(It also has to have a good clean sound as well.)

I know I can get a lot out of my guitar, but it doesn't seem I can get the full potential with my current vypyr 30.

Any suggestions would be appreciated..thanks
don't waste your time with modeling amps, they're not worth it. people call them a beginner's best friend, if thats true then why stay a beginner forever, why would you want something thats a copy of the tone you want. if you still wonder what tone you want then think about what kind of music you play and do a lot of listening to other players and try as many amps as you can, you'll find the amp that fits you and it'll last longer than a modeling amp that you will get sick of eventually.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Last edited by gerraguitar at Jan 15, 2012,
Look into the Vox Night Train, Orange Tiny Terror, Blackstar HT series, Bugera 2x12 head and cabinet, B-52 stuff. Just get whatever fits the desired wattage/headroom/level of volume.

You won't find much getting a good clean tone with EMGs, which is why I ONLY use passive pickups. Look into a Boss EQ pedal then, but I have almost NO experience with the EQ pedal. I would think the Vox would have the best clean tone out of the above, but I'm not sure. Try them and see what you like best.
Last edited by Myaccount876 at Jan 15, 2012,
tube 60 is alot cheaper than the other options for the money its the best price it seems, unless you go used. im acutally looking to upgrade myself from a vypyr. but if you dont spend like 600 bucks you wont get shit. depends on how much you wanna spend dude.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
im looking at some of the amps you pointed it out youtube, and i gotta say the blackstar ht-5 sounds good (even though i still need to hear it in person)...is it better to buy the combo or just the head?
Quote by edi7
im looking at some of the amps you pointed it out youtube, and i gotta say the blackstar ht-5 sounds good (even though i still need to hear it in person)...is it better to buy the combo or just the head?

Good amp, but you can do better for the money you would pay for the HT-5 combo.
Quote by lemurflames
Good amp, but you can do better for the money you would pay for the HT-5 combo.

what do you suggest?
I'd look used, I picked up an Orange AD30 for 400 a few weeks ago and it's brill for classic rock and (with an OD pedal) metal.
Check out my fitness blog here
Quote by lemurflames
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Follow this and post the answers in this thread.

Budget? - I would say at most $350-$400

Genres? - I enjoy playing Metal and classic rock. I listen to Metallica(hetfields tone), Mustaine, Wylde, Gus G, Page, Jeff Waters, Cantrell, Iommi..etc etc...I would like it to have somewhat a nice clean tone.

New or Used? - No preference.

Home or Gig? - jamming

Closest City? - Los Angeles.

Current Gear? - I have a Schecter Damien with Emgs 81/85 Active Pickups...The amp im using now is a peavey vypyr 30.
im guess the vypyr 60 tube used in that price range dude. thats what im gonna prolly get.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A