Hey UG,

Here's the thing.

I sometimes need to go from heavy heavy distortion to crunch in a split second, and can't even use my hands to do it (because of the way the riffs are, i have to change from standard picking to hybrid/tapping but that's not important) so switching pickups or rolling down the volume knob is out of question.

My amp only has 2 channels. Clean and dirty.

Is there such a thing as a pedal that would make a distorted channel crunchy? Sort of like a gate that only "lets some of the distortion out", muffles the sound. Basically a "reverse distortion" pedal. I'd imagine It'd be really simple, just one knob to adjust the gate and an on off switch.

Thanks.
Quote by Roc8995
Kirk Hammett should just build a wah into his goddam shoes.

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
Last edited by Dizzy-D at Jan 15, 2012,
You could always use a volume or EQ pedal to cut your guitar's signal? But what most people tend to do is to get an overdrive, set their amp to a crunch setting and turn on the overdrive when they need the extra gain and turn it off when they don't. That usually tends to sound better.
Electro-Harmonix makes a pedal called the Signal Pad that's basically a reverse boost pedal. It would be the same as turning the volume knob on your guitar down.
turn the output down on an overdrive pedal, works like a charm
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Like all these things that have been previously stated but also there is the option of using the volume on your guitar.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Like all these things that have been previously stated but also there is the option of using the volume on your guitar.

well he did ask specifically through a pedal so

^this is good though
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
get an overdrive pedal. when you nee dto go from heavy to crunch, switch to the clean channel and turn the overdrive on. to make it a little smoother, turn the overdrive on while doing the last couple seconds of the heavy riff, then hit the footswitch to go to the clean channel.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣