I now know that some pickup covers will strip your guitar of it's brightness...

so the question is:
-are there covers that don't compromise tone? different metals? thickness? coating?

Thanks,
???
nickel silver (what most covers are made of) do not affect the magnetic fields of your pickups and do not really affect tone.
I agree. Pickup covers should be non-ferrous, which will have no impact on tone. If the pickup cover were made of ferrous metal, it would have a huge impact on your tone - as in you'd have no sound at all.
how about the plating? I've heard that electroplated finishes can rob your guitar's tone too
???
i know removing the pickup covers on most cheap humbuckers tends to give a little bit of extra life in the usually muddy top end, but generally the covers on good quality humbuckers won't make enough of a difference that it'd be worth taking the covers off for.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
i know removing the pickup covers on most cheap humbuckers tends to give a little bit of extra life in the usually muddy top end, but generally the covers on good quality humbuckers won't make enough of a difference that it'd be worth taking the covers off for.

+1

most noticeable if at all, when played through a quality amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011