So i been playing for about 2 years now(self taught) and i only been learning other bands songs. So i decided i wanted to start writing my own stuff what are some tips that can help me out with this process
It's really quite simple. Listen to your heart and write what you feel. The things that move you probably move others. For the music portion of the process... I find being in a quiet place works best. The noises of the world tend to overpower my creative processes. Getting off to a quiet location helps me listen to my inner ear.
While listening to your heart, learn some chords, arpeggios included, rhythms, and theory. A good starting point for theory is musictheory.net

Also, I would avoid using tabs, not because its bad or anything, but its easier to read rhythms with sheet music.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by Wobbey363
So i been playing for about 2 years now(self taught) and i only been learning other bands songs. So i decided i wanted to start writing my own stuff what are some tips that can help me out with this process

Learning how music works goes a long way. Ever considered learning theory applied to the guitar?

Best,

Sean
Quote by Wobbey363

Try this out.

Use the Major Chord Formula (see below) and start experimenting with chords in certain keys. I like to do what's called "Pick 4"

Basically you determine what chords are in what keys then pick 4 of them and play 1 chord per bar. Lets use C Major for example.

All the chords are.

C Dm Em F G Am Bdim

You would label them like this.

C Dm Em F G Am Bdim
I ii iii IV V vi vii*

All the capital roman numerals are Major chords. And all the lower case roman numerals are minor chords. Except the "vii*" chord which is a diminished chord.

Now from here comes the experimenting. Not everything you pick is going to sound good. And not everything you will like but if you keep experimenting with different arrangements of the chords you will eventually find something you like.

I iii IV vi

Theres an example of a chord progression you could use. Just fill in the roman numerals with what chords they are and start improvising away.

This is no way a determining factor of how to write songs. It is just an idea you can use as a guideline. Nothing is set in stone. Hope this helps.
Develop your ear.

Nothing matters as much as this. Developing your ear is the secret to identifying the music inside you, and figuring out how to express it with your voice and your guitar.

As your ear develops you will probably spontaneously find yourself writing melodies and chord progressions - away from your instrument.
Play with and off of other people. Or, play a simple chord progression, C G D A or something, then just try and find some kind of melody that works over those chords.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame