Im thinking about purchasing a Jackson guitar, my budget is $500 and Im willing to buy something used. I want something with a floyd rose and a strat body. I play classic rock, like Ozzy, Van Halen, Def Leppard and those type of bands from the 70s/80s. Any suggestions?
The Dinkies in that price range are pretty decent, especially if you decide to go used. You can get them with double-locking trems and whatnot. However, don't look only for Jackson's, cuz you might be able to score a better guitar for you from a different brand.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
You can get some nice Japanese made ones used for around $400. New ones are about $600-800 depending on where you are in the world. Look for the Professional Series like the Dinky 2 models. Avoid the JS models.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by guitarsftw
The Dinkies in that price range are pretty decent, especially if you decide to go used. You can get them with double-locking trems and whatnot. However, don't look only for Jackson's, cuz you might be able to score a better guitar for you from a different brand.

I had thought about ESP LTD models, not sure which are good though
I see used Jacksons all the time, definitely try those out before purchasing anything new. You should see some Japanese ones in your price range, and they're higher quality than the new ones you'll find in that range.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
D K 2 M
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by squilly_willy
Im thinking about purchasing a Jackson guitar, my budget is $500 and Im willing to buy something used. I want something with a floyd rose and a strat body. I play classic rock, like Ozzy, Van Halen, Def Leppard and those type of bands from the 70s/80s. Any suggestions?

You can get a DK2 easily within that budget used.

If you want new, i would avoid jackson and go for an Ibanez S420 and swap out the pickups.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I have the DK2, the guitar has been toured with for 4 1/2 years being the only guitar played and has always satisfied me. If you have never owned a guitar with a floyd rose bridge please be aware that learning to tune one can be a challenge. But your reward is your locked in and wont go out. I would recommend this guitar to anyone in your price range man.
i picked up a DKMGT that i bought probably 8 years ago for $200, it was a nice guitar. i like the compound radius fretboard. neck felt nice too. traded that and something else for Tama Star Classic drum shell pack on CL.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Best option is a second hand Charvel model 5 or model 6. These are the SL1 and SL2H but made by Charvel. I've seen them go second hand for around 500$. Awesome guitars, and way better than the MIJ jacksons you can by these days.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
look for a soloist, its a neck through body. Find a "professional" model as they are cheaper, right around $500 MIJ as opposed to the $1000 MIA. They have very thin necks.
Dean DC6F is always my favourite, it hs original floyd rose and ebony fingerboard, with EMG's despite of damn cheap price.
also try HSS stratocasters or epiphones maybe?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by Mad78
I have the DK2, the guitar has been toured with for 4 1/2 years being the only guitar played and has always satisfied me. If you have never owned a guitar with a floyd rose bridge please be aware that learning to tune one can be a challenge. But your reward is your locked in and wont go out. I would recommend this guitar to anyone in your price range man.

I will abosolutely second that. Also, in regards to the Ibanez suggestion with swaping the pups, the DK2M comes loaded with Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and Seymour Duncan Jazz in the Neck, so its still probably a better option for the Jackson, but its all your preference. I also own one of these and its become my favourite guitar. It holds tune REALLY well and if you arent used to setting up or dealing with FR bridges here is an awesome video on an innovative way you can set it up yourself in no time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQQT9-Y0R9A. I used to be scared of Floyd Rose and now restringing and changing string guages takes less than 20 minutes.

Cheers dude!
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec Roadster
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
^^ Nice axe man, that contour on the back of the guitar is so ****in sexy.
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec Roadster
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
Quote by neoclassical85
^^ Nice axe man, that contour on the back of the guitar is so ****in sexy.

It's almost exactly the same guitar as a SL1 (model 5 is equivalent to SL2H). Maybe the USA Jacksons use slightly higher grade woods and more fancy tops, but between 500 and 800$ second hand, you can't beat the value of the Charvel if you want an 80's rockmonster. And it's the real f***in deal.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
You could get a second hand DKMG for that price, or possibly an ex-demo model or something. Jackson Licensed FR are a pain in the ass though.
Quote by NeedACoffee
Jackson Licensed FR are a pain in the ass though.

ive never played a better stock licenced trem then jacksons, what in the world do u mean?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Charvel or Jackson, whichever one tickles your fancy the most. Personally i bought a Jackson DK2M because I like maple fingerboards.