Be ready for wall o' text time.

I was a busboy for 4 days at a local Italian joint. Yesterday was my last day, and second weekend working there. I was being told that I was doing an amazing job, and that they loved me. Next thing I know, I got the owner in my ear telling me that "If you think as much about work as much as you think about me being in your head, you'd have a much more secure job."

I WAS JUST MOVING OUT OF HIS WAY AND SMILING.

I seriously don't know where I went wrong. I think the worst thing I did was accidentally say "******s" to one of the waiters, on the first day, when a group of my friends came in and they didn't tip, and the owner, and all of the guy waiters, are gay, of course I didn't know it at the time. (There's nothing wrong with that.) I was promptly told not to say the "f" word, and why not to. The waiters didn't have a problem with me, to the point where I had a really pleasant conversation with one about his Pre-Med schooling, and how I want to get into radiology etc. He even gave me like 7 dollars in extra tip money for helping him so much when a party of 30 came in.

To my knowledge, everyone liked me, or at least they acted it, and my blunders were few. I bused the whole place by myself on my third day, with amazing success, making 35 bucks in tip money.

Yesterday, upon my arrival, I was greeted at the door by the owner telling me that "You're not what we're looking for." After it was going so well, with the exception of a few things. It hurt, real bad honestly. This being my first job, and being fired after 4 days? I mean c'mon, he didn't even tell me anything I could improve on while I was working, and I would do everything the owner, manager, and waiters would tell me. It was to the point where I was scrubbing trash cans with a sponge and water in 30 degree weather, having to hoist 250lbs of garbage over my head and into a dumpster because it was too full, holding 8 half empty drinks in two hands, just to make people happy.

To me, "You're not what we're looking for" isn't a viable response to someone who was told that I was doing a great job, and that everyone liked me. I mean there HAD to be a reason.

So Pit, other then don't say derogatory words at work, what can I learn from this experience? Any tips you can give to a newbie job hunter/employee?

**Oh yeah, the derogatory term thing shouldn't of been a big deal. There was waiters showing each other what "blue waffle" was, saying every curse word in the book, yet I get canned? What's going on here? Plus, one of my best friends is a lesbian.

TL;DR: Bad first job experience, how can I make it better next time?
If it legit went down as you say, it is probably some weird reason rather than your own fault for what happened.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Yeah that's totally unfair. How were you supposed to know the waiters were gay? Otherwise, calling people faggots in the workplace is totally acceptable.

██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by Dwight.Schrute
If it legit went down as you say, it is probably some weird reason rather than your own fault for what happened.

What's the point of lying on the internet about losing a job? I seriously want to know if I'm an idiot, and if I can change the way I go about things.
They're probably just ******s.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by AeroRocker
Yeah that's totally unfair. How were you supposed to know the waiters were gay? Otherwise, calling people faggots in the workplace is totally acceptable.

:P Is it worse then showing people pictures of mutilated genitalia?
Quote by Cannibal Koala
What's the point of lying on the internet about losing a job? I seriously want to know if I'm an idiot, and if I can change the way I go about things.

Sorry, I wasnt trying to say you were lying. My point was that people are terrible self-evaluators, and our perceptions are constantly biased.

Like I said though, it sounds like some weird reason that might not directly involve you.
Quote by Saint78

Quote by Dwight.Schrute
Sorry, I wasnt trying to say you were lying. My point was that people are terrible self-evaluators, and our perceptions are constantly biased.

Like I said though, it sounds like some weird reason that might not directly involve you.

It's cool. I swear, you internet people sure know how to turn things on people.
Quote by Cannibal Koala
It's cool. I swear, you internet people sure know how to turn things on people.

What do you mean? "Turn things on people?"

EDIT: I dont understand the phrase!
Quote by Saint78

Last edited by Dwight.Schrute at Jan 15, 2012,
Quote by Dwight.Schrute
What do you mean? "Turn things on people?"

Not you, the AeroRocker guy.
maybe because you turned the owner down? LOL
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
Quote by Insomnia69

I don't know. He never made a pass at me, or maybe I was too busy working.
You may have offended someone more than you think you did. Also, how did you, as a heterosexual male, end up working in a predominately gay staffed restaurant?
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by Insomnia69

Exactly! He was totally looking for a young, impressionable, gay bus boy to take advantage of. It sounds like you fit all the qualifications but one.

Yah. I don't know, it sucks if nobody was giving you any criticism if you were doing something wrong, but it sounds like you had a handle on things.

It's really probably nothing to do with you specifically. Maybe they realized they didn't have the budget to keep you on, or needed someone who could be trained as a bartender or somthing???? I dunno, I'm just throwing things out there.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
Exactly! He was totally looking for a young, impressionable, gay bus boy to take advantage of. It sounds like you fit all the qualifications but one.

Yah. I don't know, it sucks if nobody was giving you any criticism if you were doing something wrong, but it sounds like you had a handle on things.

It's really probably nothing to do with you specifically. Maybe they realized they didn't have the budget to keep you on, or needed someone who could be trained as a bartender or somthing???? I dunno, I'm just throwing things out there.

Nah man, they were training another guy on Friday, which I worked on Friday, so I was thinking he was going to replace me the whole night, but the other busboy and busgirl were saying how he was probably replacing another guy who I worked with once.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Go back to him and ask what you did to get canned?

I've never been fired

Man, I've gone places in 4 days that some haven't ever gone before!

That's actually pretty awesome man, how many places have you worked at?
EDIT: ^ Only 2 First one required some heavy lifting of Audio and Visual equipment (sometimes would get 14 or 15 hour shifts) but the money was great. Second one being part time at a studio (which I only count as a job for future reference) in a Uni, shitty pay, real fun.

Oh right, maybe he just couldn't afford the extra staff?
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jan 15, 2012,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Oh right, maybe he just couldn't afford the extra staff?

Why would he hire me then fire me? I would of told my employee that he's competing for a job. And I don't think that they can evaluate a person's work ethic through one night of working.