I have an idea to build a rechargeable power pack for my pedal board.

Kind of like this: http://us.sanyo.com/pedal-juice

If I wire 8 AA 1.2v 3000 mAh batteries in series, this will give me 9.6v that will last for a lot longer than a single 9v battery would (depending on the amount of pedals/current drain of course). Wire it up to a daisy chain, and I have a pedal board power pack.

Is this a good idea? Will it work?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
I have an idea to build a rechargeable power pack for my pedal board.

Kind of like this: http://us.sanyo.com/pedal-juice

If I wire 8 AA 1.2v 3000 mAh batteries in series, this will give me 9.6v that will last for a lot longer than a single 9v battery would (depending on the amount of pedals/current drain of course). Wire it up to a daisy chain, and I have a pedal board power pack.

Is this a good idea? Will it work?

x

It will work, it won't be the same as the Sanyo device. The Sanyo device provides you with a constant 9V output from a single lithium ion battery by means of a boost converter.

A lot of the 3000mAh NiMh battery packs are only rated for 3000mAh when you have a load of something like 10mA. A lot of pedals might kill the battery pretty fast.
Quote by XgamerGt04
It will work, it won't be the same as the Sanyo device. The Sanyo device provides you with a constant 9V output from a single lithium ion battery by means of a boost converter.

A lot of the 3000mAh NiMh battery packs are only rated for 3000mAh when you have a load of something like 10mA. A lot of pedals might kill the battery pretty fast.

Thanks for the reply, I realised it would be the same but I think it'll be worth giving it a go. My pedals total up at about 360mA, but 300 of that is from a multi fx that will be gone soon.

What do you reckon the life would be? If a rechargeable 9v battery has a capacity of 175-300 mAh, this would still last longer... am I right?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.