Hi y'all. I'm a beginner with mic stuff, and I just formed a new band. We decided to play at my house because it's the biggest, and most isolated from the public. None of us have mics, and I was elected to purchase gear. Lucky me. I'm not going expensive, so I decided to go extremely cheap. I was looking at this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/nady-mm-141-4-channel-mini-mixer/630433000000000 for a mixer (it's only twenty bucks). So would I need to use a speaker cable into my cab? I assumed so, but I want to make sure. Thanks!
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
Bit confused. What amp and speakers are you going to plug it into?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I was going to go into a Peavey 212H cab. Does there need to be an amp if it's a powered mixer?
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
That's not a powered mixer. A powered mixer is one that contains a built in power amp.

Something like this is what you want.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mackie-thump-th-15a-active-speaker/485392000000000
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 16, 2012,
If I get a powered mixer, I wouldn't need a powered PA right? I remember that I the guy I bought my pair of Peavey column things from was using them for a PA (even though I bought them for the guitars). I use one of them for my guitar, and the other sounds fairly bad, so I was planning on using that one for vocals, as well as my Sunn 1201 PA cab.
And I also found the Behringer XENYX 802 which is cheap, and has the phantom power I would need. Is that any good?
Quote by Most_Triumphant

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
The Behringer XENYX 802 isn't a powered mixer either. Phantom power is just for supplying 50V to condenser mikes. You won't be buying condenser mikes for live work. Most Behringer mixers are pretty bad but their biggest weakness are the sliders. That particular one has rotary pots so it's probably ok.
You'll still need a power amp unless you get powered bins. Powered mixers are usually pretty expensive. Powered bins are often a cheaper way to go plus it's always handy to have one or two to use for foldback down the track if you need it. Those Mackies are great value for money.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 16, 2012,
Awesome! Thanks a bunch. That means that the guy I bought the cabs from was using a powered mixer, right?
Quote by Most_Triumphant

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
Last edited by y2k11hmmm? at Jan 16, 2012,
Btw, if you get a couple of those Mackies you'll be able to fill a fairly decent sized venue and sound professional doing it. I got by with 200W per side into two horn loaded 15" bins for many years gigging all the time. I always mike up amps and at least the kick drum everywhere I play, even if I don't have to really turn them up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification