Okay, so I've had history with power metal. It wast the first heavy metal genre I got into. Then I moved on to melodic death metal with children of bodom and norther (which is very power metal-ish) then I got into everything else: thrash, regular death metal and some black metal too, and NWOBHM.

I need some help to understand this. Why do I love these PM and MDM bands with keyboards so much!? After I got into heavier metal I simply love the agression of death and thrash metal, but I can't listen ONLY to that BECAUSE of the agression ... I don't know why I'm drawn to melodic death and power metal, and now as I am into making music myself I draw very many influences from MDM and PM.

I want my music to sound agressive too, but I keep being drawn to beauty over agression, and I want it to be the other way, but I just can't. I know this is ME only so you can't decide for me, but you can give me opinions around this music. Because I dram influences from MDM and PM and I want my music to be like that and agressive at the same time, but I feel power metal isn't as agressive since it got mostly clean vocals. And the MDM I'm into is basically power metal, so I don't feel it's agressive enough :/

I am really confused about this and it's driving me a bit crazy. This is my opinion about the music, and I would really like some tips. Because I am drawn to agression and beauty equally, but I don't know any good way to apply both into my music. I keep focusing on one of them and end up sounding like a generic thrash thing, or some bad power metal thing.

I really love agressive metal such as thrash and death metal, but also power metal, symphonic metal and melodic death metal, but to combine agression with keyboards and bauty is, not already done before, but it isn't that agressive either IMO (Children of Bodom I look at you). CoB is one of my favourite bands, but I think they are more beautiful than agressive.

My problem is that I want to play agressive (thrashy) and power ish metal, but to combine that seems hard. I have tried mixing thrash with keyboards, but it didn't go very well. So ... any tips guys?
I listen to various bands containing influences from Power, Death, Thrash, Groove and Progressive Metal. Here's some of the stuff I listen to:

Symphony X (Albums: Paradise Lost, The Odyssey and Iconoclast). I recommend "Domination", Heretic and "Incantations of the Apprentice".

Nevermore (Albums: Dead Heart In A Dead World, Enemies of Reality, This Godless Endeavour, The Obsidian Conspiracy). I recommend "The River Dragon Has Come", "I, Voyager", "Born" and "The Obsidian Conspiracy".

Anubis Gate (Albums: The Detached, Anubis Gate). I recommend "Bloodoath" and "Desiderio Omnibus".

Beyond Twilight (Albums: Section X, For The Love of Art and the Making). I recommend "Section X" and "For The Love of Art and the Making".

Just some ideas and are only based on what I think would best be catered to your tastes given what you've stated. I do however recommend listening to the entire albums of the above artists as more than half of them are concept albums and are supposed to be "consumed" as a whole. It is without a doubt that all the above bands have moments of beauty and aggression. The music is also very complex. I hope you don't let some long songs and odd-meter riffs deter you from the unique style of music these artists compose.
Last edited by HaydenHohns at Jan 16, 2012,
...Listen to Nocturnus? An earlier tech-death band with keyboards. 'Andromeda Strain' might be what you're looking for for mixing thrash and keyboards?
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Abigail Williams.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
I think you have a terminal case of genre angst. There's no known cure other than to wait it out and hope it clears up with your spots when you're out of puberty
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I think you have a terminal case of genre angst. There's no known cure other than to wait it out and hope it clears up with your spots when you're out of puberty

This could actually be true, except for the puberty part. I'm all done with that.
^Thank you for that
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.