21 19%
It's not real not a problem
10 9%
It's not my problem
19 17%
Voters: 109.
Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

So anyways, after auditing a few classes at my university with some friends a prof was discussing alcoholism. The class is basically based around a few public social diseases. Anyhow, the topic of functioning alcoholism was discussed in depth and really has stirred my curiosity. From the description I would classify myself as a functioning alcoholic, which for quick purposes is i drink more than 14 drinks a week over at least 3 days.

Personally, im highly academic/athletic, finished a half-ironman last summer. I dont see this as a problem in my life. And in my opinion alcoholism is when alcohol has negative impacts on your life. What do you guys think of this?

TL;DR: Take a shot
From one highly functioning user to another: Long term damage is going to kick both of our asses very hard, and quite possibly in the relatively near future.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
lol, yea. I do see that as an eventual problem. But so does eating a lot of items.
My definition of functioning as a person and my definition of alcoholism are mutually exclusive. You're an alcoholic only when your drinking disrupts your ability to function, whether that's in social circles, on the job, or in terms of actual damage to your body.

If you're not drinking to the point that you're causing immediate and direct detriment to one of these, you're not an alcoholic. And the gradual destruction of your liver is not an immediate detriment--being too hungover to get out of bed or giving yourself alcohol poisoning is.
eventual problem, not an immediate one.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by dullsilver_mike
My definition of functioning as a person and my definition of alcoholism are mutually exclusive. You're an alcoholic only when your drinking disrupts your ability to function, whether that's in social circles, on the job, or in terms of actual damage to your body.

If you're not drinking to the point that you're causing immediate and direct detriment to one of these, you're not an alcoholic. And the gradual destruction of your liver is not an immediate detriment--being too hungover to get out of bed or giving yourself alcohol poisoning is.

This.

I don't believe in a thing like a functioning alcoholic, you are either an alcoholic or that you're not one, there is no middle ground.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
I put the funk in functional alcoholic
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I once wore that shirt and it got me so many bitches my penis got a rash from gropage.
I'd love to be an alcoholic, but hangovers hurt too much.

Being drunk all the time would be swell, though.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I'd love to be an alcoholic, but hangovers hurt too much.

Being drunk all the time would be swell, though.

If you just start drinking again, the hangover goes away and you can live your swell life. The first drink's a little rough, but it all smooths out after that.
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
This.

I don't believe in a thing like a functioning alcoholic, you are either an alcoholic or that you're not one, there is no middle ground.

alcoholism is a disease. you can be a sober alcoholic, or be an alcoholic and not know it

Yes, there are many functioning alcoholics out there. Not all alcoholics drink from morning to night, all day long. Pat Morita (Mr. Miyagi) was a functioning alcoholic for decades, and it eventually killed him.

Quote by Harvey Swick
alcoholism is a disease. you can be a sober alcoholic, or be an alcoholic and not know it

Bullshit. You can have a mental pre-disposition to becoming an addict, but that doesn't mean you're a "sober alcoholic".

And calling addiction a disease is bullshit. You have no control over a disease, and you CAN have control over an addiction.

This is coming from someone who has a lot of personal experience on the subject.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jan 16, 2012,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
If you just start drinking again, the hangover goes away and you can live your swell life. The first drink's a little rough, but it all smooths out after that.

That's true, I've done it before. I can't handle it, though. It takes a few drinks for the pain to go away for me. Plus there's the whole not being allowed to drive or work while pissed thing.
Quote by Harvey Swick

That depends on whether or not you buy into the DSM definition or not (and even if you do, it makes distinctions between different categories). There are a lot of folks who don't, including doctors and even drug treatment professionals.

Just because some psychologists/psychiatrists like to treat every mental abnormality as a pathology, it doesn't make it so.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Jan 16, 2012,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
That depends on whether or not you buy into the DSM definition or not (and even if you do, it makes distinctions between different categories). There are a lot of folks who don't, including doctors and even drug treatment professionals.

Doesn't the whole "It's a disease" thing come from AA, anyway? To further drive home their bullshit that addicts have no control over their addiction?
Quote by CoreysMonster
Doesn't the whole "It's a disease" thing come from AA, anyway? To further drive home their bullshit that addicts have no control over their addiction?

Yeah, it's pop medicine. I just call the DSM IV approach into question because it's the closest thing to an authoritative opinion that might actually call it a disease.
I've met people who have been alcoholics and it has hampered their life. Caused them to lose their jobs, but i also have a large group of friends and other people ive met who drink a lot and are just fine. Personally i find it relaxing after a day of work and school

AA is also bullshit, There are much better ways to go about drinking less or stopping. It's just another way for religious propaganda to portray religion as a solution to sin and not a cause. It hammers in that man is flawed and requires faith to fix, when in reality it is not a fix and creates flaws where there are none
Last edited by metharian at Jan 16, 2012,
All I know is that I am a senior in college getting ready to graduate with a degree in Materials Science and Engineering, I play a college level sport, I have gotten drunk 5 nights in a row, and I am drunk right now. I don't need to drink to have fun, but why start a fire by rubbing two sticks together when I have a lighter in my pocket?

But seriously, I'm not an alcoholic unless I keep these habits up when I graduate right? Right???
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
alcohol addiction is when you have a physiological dependence on alcohol. it has nothing to do with social or work related factors
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
alcohol addiction is when you have a physiological dependence on alcohol. it has nothing to do with social or work related factors

I think a quick google will give about 20 different definitions, all naturally definitive, but none "definitive" if you catch my meaning. It's up for debate.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I think a quick google will give about 20 different definitions, all naturally definitive, but none "definitive" if you catch my meaning. It's up for debate.

in a medical sense addiction is based on physiological dependence. alcoholism has social implication yes but its all the humanities and social science academics defining it by the limits of their own fields of study that leads to the confusion. they should leave the science to the scientists
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

but now i believe your differing from functioning alcoholism. Once someone is physically dependant on it is it still functioning or is is it just alcoholism. The point being that it is not what we are discussing
Quote by metharian
but now i believe your differing from functioning alcoholism. Once someone is physically dependant on it is it still functioning or is is it just alcoholism. The point being that it is not what we are discussing

alcoholism is alcoholism. your only a functioning alcoholic if you have a physiological dependence and can still get on with your life. someone who lives normally and drinks a lot isnt an alcoholic
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Eggmond
in a medical sense addiction is based on physiological dependence. alcoholism has social implication yes but its all the humanities and social science academics defining it by the limits of their own fields of study that leads to the confusion. they should leave the science to the scientists

And the medical sense is one definition among many (Of course there are plenty of psychiatrists with MDs who don't use it in that sense so even that definition isn't as conclusive as you suggest).

It's not like the doctors set the bar and then everyone else has to fall in line--the doctors have one (or more) definition(s) relevant to their field and other people have definitions relevant to their fields. When they come up with their own definition, they do leave "science to the scientists" because they're engaging in their own separate discourse--one that's not subordinate to the medical discourse and has to wait for its approval in creating terms.
Quote by Eggmond
alcoholism is alcoholism. your only a functioning alcoholic if you have a physiological dependence and can still get on with your life. someone who lives normally and drinks a lot isnt an alcoholic

so all alcoholics drink alot but not all people who drink alot are alcoholics?

i was referring to the genetic predisposition for alcoholism in particular as opposed to overall addictive behavior.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
And the medical sense is one definition among many (Of course there are plenty of psychiatrists with MDs who don't use it in that sense so even that definition isn't as conclusive as you suggest).

It's not like the doctors set the bar and then everyone else has to fall in line--the doctors have one (or more) definition(s) relevant to their field and other people have definitions relevant to their fields. When they come up with their own definition, they do leave "science to the scientists" because they're engaging in their own separate discourse--one that's not subordinate to the medical discourse and has to wait for its approval in creating terms.

when you you make a new definition you should make a new term rather than redefining a previous concept. i wouldnt start redefining trisomy 21 as stupidity because its more relevant to my everyday life
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Last edited by Eggmond at Jan 16, 2012,
Hey. Cut back on drinking. There is no physical dependence for alcohol... just stop. I don't even mean stop all together, just limit yourself if you feel that it's too much.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by Eggmond
when you you make a new definition you should make a new word rather than redlining a previous concept. i wouldnt start redefining trisomy 21 as stupidity because its more relevant to my everyday life

If that were the case, your modern definition wouldn't go with the word "alcoholism" either. It had a different meaning when it was coined. The OED says Dr. M. Huss coined it in 1852, and good old wiki ways he used it in a pretty broad sense "to describe the systematic adverse effects of alcohol."

I'm not attacking your definition--it's useful, it works, it's better than 90% of the ways people define alcoholism. I'm challenging your absolutism because the thread wasn't framed as a strictly medical discussion and I don't think we need to limit ourselves to medical terminology when most of the people talking about alcoholism today are doing it in a social or psychological rather than physiological context.
Hey, it's called Europe.

Jokes aside, I think that this is real, and can be a problem, due to the long term effect of alcohol on a person's body. Too much alcohol can hurt you.
Crazier than a fish with titties.
Quote by Lord_Hondros
That was a great troll, and it made me laugh. Which then made me cause I was having a good time being scared shitless

Quote by behind_you
Grandfather clocks and jizz.
Hmmm, interesting question, what exactly is an alcoholic?
The definition I generaly use is that it's someone with an addiction to alcohol, and an addiction can be considered as anything from an occasional craving to full blown withdrawal symptoms if you don't get your regular fix.

I think a question we should ask is, if you completely gave up drinking, would you still have any form of craving for it? If the answer is yes then I would consider that person to have, at least on some level, a form of alcoholism.

Can somone be an addict and still live a normal life? Hell yes, I've known heroin addicts that can do that.
Wait. I drink a lot, don't get drunk all the time though. I often start my day with a coffee and whiskey, and will drink nothing but alcoholic drinks all day. Personally I wouldn't consider myself an alcoholic. According to some definitions though, I'm a functioning alcoholic?

...am I an alcoholic? *horrible realisation*
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Hmmm, interesting question, what exactly is an alcoholic?

Alcoholics go to meetings. I go to bars.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
i am surprised by the poll. i perceive it to not be a problem. is this wrong?

I think part of being young for a lot of people is drinking a lot. Especially here in Britain.

I'm also a very active person, i've done half marathons and will be doing a one hundred mile bike ride in summer, but i'm sure if I didn't drink so much i'd be a lot better, I can't dispute that.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by whoomit
Wait. I drink a lot, don't get drunk all the time though. I often start my day with a coffee and whiskey, and will drink nothing but alcoholic drinks all day. Personally I wouldn't consider myself an alcoholic. According to some definitions though, I'm a functioning alcoholic?

...am I an alcoholic? *horrible realisation*

You've been to bed, i'm still up.

edit: and bloody hell man , not everyone can try to beyou know
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jan 16, 2012,
Quote by magnus_maximus
Jim Morrison was the most photogenic dude, like, ever.

He tended to look the same in pictures too more or less, which is probably part of it.

I've noticed i tend to look alright in some pictures and ****ing horrible in others, like, a different person almost ...
Quote by Zoot Allures
You've been to bed, i'm still up.

Haha yup. It's 11AM though and I'm already considering a pint though :/
In my opinion, you're an alcoholic when you feel like you need a drink, and that's when it turns into a problem, when you start needing a few drinks every night. It's not an immediate problem necessarily though, more a long term one.
Check out my fitness blog here
Page 1 of 2