HI, I was looking for a cheap beater guitar that has Extra Jumbo frets.

I browsed the net for cheap shred guitars and I saw the ESP/ LTD M-10.
I loved its shape and its look and the specs were good too - fixed bridge, no messy whammy bar, Extra Jumbo frets, super cheap price - its specs looked perfect on paper.

Then I did some research on this particular model and I read in several customer reviews that the frets on this guitar are not really Extra Jumbo. Some people were saying in their reviews that they are Medium or regular Jumbos.
Now, if it's true that the frets are not real Extra Jumbo, then that's a bummer, because the advertised Extra Jumbo frets were the main reason I liked that guitar.

So I am looking for more first-hand opinions and reviews.
Does anybody here have this cheap model? If yes, can you tell me more about the frets? What size are they?
I live in an isolated mountain town and the nearest place where I can test an LTD M-10 is around 300 kilometers away from me. So I need some first-hand advice before I order online.

Thanks!
If you're used to Ibanez guitars then the ESP frets will not seem that big. If you're used to Gibson or Fender guitars the ESP frets wil seem huge. It really depends on what you're used to.

In traditional terms, ESP's frets are 'extra jumbo'. They are both wider and significantly taller than the fretwire used on classic guitars. The fretwire that Ibanez uses is simply even more gigantic. But of course as that style of guitar has become more popular, the older style of fretwire has started to be considered as small and the ESP/Schecter/jackson fretwire has become the new standard, with 'jumbo' meaning the Ibanez style of wire.

In short: Yes, ESP frets are really Extra Jumbo. But they may not feel all that big to you if you're already used to giant frets.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Here is a photo of the LTD model that I am after.
The frets not only don't look like Extra Jumbos, but they also look like the thinnest/smallest frets I have ever seen in my life.
Much smaller than the frets on any vintage Gibson.
The photo could be misleading, though. Maybe it's the flashlight that makes themm look so small, I don't know.

Photo: http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/7564/kopievonltdm102xt3.jpg

PS: I used to have an Ibanez RG250DX, which is the only Ibanez I have touched.
I think the frets were large but nothing too drastic.
Are all Ibanez models equipped with huge frets?
Last edited by GuitarEnthusias at Jan 16, 2012,
Quote by GuitarEnthusias
Here is a photo of the LTD model that I am after.
The frets not only don't look like Extra Jumbos, but they also look like the thinnest/smallest frets I have ever seen in my life.
The photo could be misleading, though. Maybe it's the flashlight that makes themm look so small, I don't know.

Photo: http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/7564/kopievonltdm102xt3.jpg

Read all posts.

Acquire knowledge.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by GuitarEnthusias

Then you obviously haven't seen any real vintage Gibsons in person.

Bingo. The flash is reflecting off the crown (top) of the fretwire, so that's all you're really seeing. Although it should be pointed out that you reallly can't judge fret size based on photos anyway; we're talking about differences that measure 0.015" - about a third of a millimetre - which will barely register on your hands, let alone to your eyes, let alone to your eyes in a small photo. Also, most of the difference in a 'jumbo' fret is the height, which obviously isn't going to show when you're looking at the guitar front-on.

Almost all Ibanez frets feature either 6100 or 6000 fretwire, both of which are gigantic and larger than the frets of any other big company. Some of their classic-style instruments have slightly smaller fretwire but even their smallest fretwire is the same size as the regular fretwire of most other companies.

If you thought the frets of your Ibanez were 'nothing too drastic' then you may find the ESP's frets feel a bit small, because that Ibanez has huge frets.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thanks for the thorough reply. It all makes sense now.

Narrow but tall sounds good to me. Not a huge fan of wide frets anyway.
I think I'll just buy the guitar online and see what's on it when it arrives.

I have a Les Paul type guitar and its frets are around 1,2mm tall. At least this is what my caliper shows. I believe that these frets are considered medium or even tall but they are not tall enough for my taste.
If the LTD has taller frets (say, 1,4mm), I will be happy.
Last edited by GuitarEnthusias at Jan 16, 2012,
1.2mm is sort of halfway between medium and tall. That's kind of an odd size, usually Les Paul frets are a tiny bit shorter than that. The ESP frets should be a tiny bit taller.