Just curious as to what you guys think the hardest body-type to play is? As well as the easiest? I know it's kind of dependent upon the setup of the guitar, but just feeling around for opinions. No particular reason.

Hardest for me are either SG's or LP's.

Easiest tends to be teles or strats for me. My guitar is an SG though.
Anything BC Rich makes.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
While Standing normal Strat models its just the upper horn wich is in the way

M-Audio Fastrack + Pod Farm

Korg Pitchblack
Boss ME25
Maxon OD808
Fame T120H
Framus 1x12 G12t100 Cab
Flying V's are tough to play sitting down without a strap.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
Anything with a large headstock that ends up neck-diving
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
Anything with a large headstock that ends up neck-diving

Especially sitting down -_-
Quote by PowerPopGuy
Just curious as to what you guys think the hardest body-type to play is? As well as the easiest? I know it's kind of dependent upon the setup of the guitar, but just feeling around for opinions. No particular reason.

Hardest for me are either SG's or LP's.

Easiest tends to be teles or strats for me. My guitar is an SG though.

hardest for you to play is an SG yet that is your guitar?

Anyway, for me I have to agree on the SG. It feels very unbalanced and unusual to play.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
It's not that I can't play teles, but many of 'em have those vintage-ish D-necks which are quite beefy. Makes for an awkward feeling imho

On the flipside, most Ibanez-like superstrats have really flat necks. On some models I don't mind but others feel like scaled down 7-strings. Admittedly I have less problems with those, but the whole "surfboard ultra flat"-profile isn't really my thing...

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't play the bodies, I play the necks.
There are more or less comfortable shapes, but that doesn't influence the playability other than the high fret access.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Vs, or Explorers. They feel like cheesy toys to me. I like Strat/Superstrat shapes.
SG's. I'm pretty sick of my Viper.
LTD Viper 1000 Deluxe
Simon & Patrick CW GT Vintageburst
Egnater Vengeance
ISP Technologies Theta (for sale)
ISP Technologies Vector (for sale)
Randall RG75DG2
Maxon OD808
Boss Super Shifter PS-5
Boss Chromatic Tuner TU-3
Quote by JesusCrisp
There are more or less comfortable shapes, but that doesn't influence the playability other than the high fret access.

some bodies cause the neck to point out at a different angle to others and this also affects how high the bridge needs to be, which in turn influences how high the strings are off the body, which does contribute to playability to a certain extent for some people.

i find most flat-top bodies with a very low bridge difficult to work with when playing standing up because the strings don't quite stick up off the body far enough for my liking, it just kind of gets in the way of my forearm too much really - i move my picking hand around a lot to pick in different positions to accentuate certain harmonics and it's harder to do on these guitars because they don't really give me many places in which i can do it without feeling a bit cramped.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
My strat sitting down is a bitch. It's just as heavy as my Les Paul... But thinner. So it likes to cut off the blood supply to my leg.
Quote by griffin888
Vs, or Explorers. They feel like cheesy toys to me. I like Strat/Superstrat shapes.

If this doesn't look like a toy i don't know what does.

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Stupid post, and example. Anyone can list cheap guitars of any shape. I don't see your point.
les pauls. mostly ones with a tune-o-matic. i'd prefer a wraparound, i like a bridge which has room and with a les paul i want some actual room. So really its a bridge problem
Quote by JesusCrisp

I here ya on that but I had a BC Rich warbeast that was very cool looking but very neck heavy and the upper horn was soooo pointy it hurt my old man belly too much to play. I only had it for a few months before I sold it.
Otherwise I find vees comfy sitting down and standing and most of my other guitars are some sort of super strat style . with the only other issue is if the body cuts into my pick hand fore arm....it can hit a nerve in my arm and make my hand go numb if its not right.
What the hell!!!
Quote by griffin888
Stupid post, and example. Anyone can list cheap guitars of any shape. I don't see your point.

In how you made such a huge generalization. Price is irrelevant.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Anything maple. Shits heavy yo.

I don't like most PRS guitars because the knobs are right where my pinky is and it keeps turning them.
Quote by griffin888

this thread is not about listing cheap guitars and bitching about them. price has got nothing to do with it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

i find the flying V easy to play sitting down.

this isn't me, but i do kinda look like the guy lol.

sitting down, i prefer a V to an SG. but i don't sit down when i play usually.

dean ML shaped guitars aren't comfortable, but i'd own an old one from the 80's in a NY second.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 16, 2012,
Quote by gregs1020
i find the flying V easy to play sitting down.

this isn't me, but i do kinda look like the guy lol.

The BC Rich Stealth plays like that too, and much more comfortably because of the upper horns it has. Though I don't really like any of the stock offerings they come with right now. And it's impossible to balance when standing up.
Explorers are awesome to play sitting down.

They have a flipping arm rest!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Explorers are awesome to play sitting down.

They have a flipping arm rest!

This. I have a wear spot were i've rested my arm on it cuz i'm lazy.

Quote by gregs1020

Schenker is negative? At least the guitar is.

Thats a cool colour
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 16, 2012,
I find Strats to be very comfortable both standing and sitting. My PRS Custom 24 is very comfortable as well, with good balance when sitting. The back is contoured basically like a Strat, although it doesn't have the bevel in the top (above the rear strap pin) that helps make Strats very comfortable when standing (no sharp edge for the inside right fore-arm).

Some Les Paul's are very unbalanced to me, for sitting. I'm also not a fan of big hollow-bodies (or semi's) like ES-335's, Gretsch Country Gentlemen, etc., even if they look and sound great. (Which is why I like the concept of the reduced-size ES-339.)

I've only played a Gibson SG very briefly, and it seemed quite comfortable to me. But perhaps longer exposure would have revealed some flaw. Are these neck-heavy? Maybe the body is too "sharp" when resting on your leg?

I always wondered how people played Flying V's when sitting, so thanks to the above poster for showing the way!
I find my Explorer extremely uncomfortable to play.

Never tried one, but I'm sure the Reverse V would be a bitch to play.
Quote by Blompcube
this thread is not about listing cheap guitars and bitching about them. price has got nothing to do with it.

I didn't list any guitar. My response was to the guy who posted the Squire, not the thread in general.
Last edited by griffin888 at Jan 16, 2012,
I would go with either a King V(I used to be able to play Vs fine, I liked them better than normal-bottomed guitars, but since I got my Schecter I've had a bit of a hard time sitting with a V, and the pointy ones are just worse for that because you can't grab them between your legs as well IMO), an LP(I don't know what it is, the body shape just doesn't agree with me at all. Shame too, because I'd love a tobaccoburst LP) and just about anything with a thin, rounded body(some SGs, some Strats and Danelectros, the body just slides off my leg). I've never found BC Riches or Deans to be inherently uncomfortable in shape, to be honest(unless you're completely out of your tree and are trying to play a Warlock like a V, that bottom cutaway is there to look br00tal, and that's about it). xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Music Man and PRS. Awesome Bodies I find the necks uncomfortable and almost anything with a flat top for me.
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
Last edited by Briyan_15 at Jan 16, 2012,
Flying V's for sure, but I also find Teles uncomfortable sitting down. I love their necks to death, but I just don't like the body while sitting down. I love Strat, Les Paul, and SG style guitars, I'll go for anything similar to those shapes.
Last edited by ChamsRock at Jan 16, 2012,
Quote by griffin888
I didn't list any guitar. My response was to the guy who posted the Squire, not the thread in general.

ah right, i must've missed that.

looks like he was responding to your generalisation about Vs and explorers with another intentional generalisation. any guitar shape will have good and bad examples (just compare an encore strat to a rebelrelic strat) and there are plenty of decent quality Vs and explorers out there that won't feel like cheap toys.

All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Les Pauls.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Traditional Les Pauls are extremely uncomfortable to play sitting or standing.
The concave part is not in the middle of the body which creates discomfort/disbalance problems.
Also, traditional Les Pauls don't have any arm rests or belly rest - not good! Plus upper sharp, unrounded edge of the guitar tries to cut your forearm in half and tries to break your ribs all the time.
Not to mention the monstrous weight of the LPs.
Hands down most uncomfortable guitar ever.

V-shaped guitars are extremely comfortable to play sitting. They fit on your left leg like a charm.
Problem is that 99% of all people don't have the right posture when playing the guitar and like to place the guitar on their right leg, which is just wrong and creates the legend of the Vs being uncomfortable for playing sitting.
most comfortable for me (sitting and standing) is either a strat or mustang style guitar.

most uncomfortable is anything whacky, like BC Rich.