Hello!

For Christmas I got a Tascam US122 mkII so I’ve been doing some recording on my Mac. For now it’s just been some riffs but I’m going to try and write some songs as well.

When I do, I’ll be needing a band name. There’s a grunge song I really like that would make a good band name. At least I think it would. It’s kind of old, so I don’t think many young people will know it but it’s from a very well known band.

Does anyone here know of bands using a song title for their name? And how do you feel about the general idea?

Does that have any legal consequences? For instance, if I would call my band “Stairway to Heaven”? Would that be a problem?

Thanks for your input!

Din.
Heavy metal has its own particular kind of glorious thunder — a dark, droning crunch that's almost druidic in its appeal to the adolescent psyche.
I think it's rather lame.
Quote by fearofthemark
at your avatar

Quote by due 07
Your avatar had me in stitches for a good two minutes.
It depends, I think if you can pick a line from a song, rather tahn the title itself, you're probably more likely to get away with it.

For example, Million Dead were named for a line from a Refused song (The Apollo Program Was A Hoax), and frankly, I think it's an awesome name!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by metacarpi
It depends, I think if you can pick a line from a song, rather tahn the title itself, you're probably more likely to get away with it.

For example, Million Dead were named for a line from a Refused song (The Apollo Program Was A Hoax), and frankly, I think it's an awesome name!

Million Dead is a great name indeed!

I was thinking Outshined, but I just googled it and it already exists.

A line from a song is a pretty good idea, though. Think I'm gonna check out some lyrics.
Heavy metal has its own particular kind of glorious thunder — a dark, droning crunch that's almost druidic in its appeal to the adolescent psyche.
Soundgarden fan, eh?
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
Soundgarden fan, eh?

Yeah. I started listening to them again recently.
Black Sabbath did it.
and so did Bad Company
but thats different
OH HELL YES METALCORE
Quote by Jimbo2010
What's the grunge song?

Maybe try reading the post about 4 above yours.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

I know I've heard of a few but the only one I've heard of is Inarborat.
http://youtu.be/Q3SyY52jP74
Coincidentally I thought about using a different Negura Bunget song title as a band name before, I don't think doing that is lame or anything.
sunbather is shit
Quote by beefcake122
I know I've heard of a few but the only one I've heard of is Inarborat.
http://youtu.be/Q3SyY52jP74
Coincidentally I thought about using a different Negura Bunget song title as a band name before, I don't think doing that is lame or anything.

Looking at the link Spitonastranger gave us (thanks!) it apparantly has been done before. Quite a few times...
Godsmack did it..and in my opinion it's a terrible idea.

But I don't know of there are any legal consequences.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by EyeForgot
Black Sabbath did it.
and so did Bad Company
but thats different

I really like band names with the word "black" in it.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, the Black Keys, Black Pyramid, Black...

but I can't come up with anything that hasn't been taken yet.
Last edited by Din Viesel at Jan 16, 2012,
Quote by Din Viesel

Black Blacks eating Black eyed peas with Black eyes wearing all Black and blacking out with Jack Black

theres your band's name. you're welcome
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Din Viesel

Black Watermelon
you're a stone fox
I had a band called Chapter 13 once, after the +44 song. It's subtle and we played that kind of style so it worked out pretty well.
I named my band Shadows That Move.

Cause it's awesome.

Quote by Saint78
Black Watermelon

HA-HAAAA
Last edited by goest at Jan 16, 2012,
Just, whatever you do, don't pull a Godsmack and flat out STEAL the name of possibly the best song on the album, and kill it with horrible shitty generic music.

+Plus you'll get all the fans of the band you stole from to HATE you for it.
Quote by Myaccount876
Just, whatever you do, don't pull a Godsmack and flat out STEAL the name of possibly the best song on the album, and kill it with horrible shitty generic music.

Alice in Chains are one of my favourite bands, and coincidentally, that is probably my least favourite song by them

Just thought I'd let you know, for no apparent reason.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Tarsplitter

You callin' the Stones lame?
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Soundgarden are playing at Download Festival this year. Just sayin'
Soy un perdedor.

Sans.
Quote by Myaccount876

Yeah that's something to consider. I'ld of course choose something from a band or song I like and I seriously doubt that I'll be any good.
Quote by Krieger91
Alice in Chains are one of my favourite bands, and coincidentally, that is probably my least favourite song by them

Just thought I'd let you know, for no apparent reason.

Ok then. They're one of my favourits too. Dirt is my alltime favourite album.
Hey, there's a bandname in there!
Quote by YorkieBar147
Soundgarden are playing at Download Festival this year. Just sayin'

I hope they come to Belgium.
Quote by Din Viesel

just name your band Black. It's after another grunge band's song too
If you do, pick something fairly obscure. I wouldn't name a band "Smells like teen spirit".
Quote by Ahteh
If you do, pick something fairly obscure. I wouldn't name a band "Smells like teen spirit".

That's a good name for a deodorant though.
Quote by chev311e
just name your band Black. It's after another grunge band's song too

Can't. There's already an 80's project called that. Pretty good iirc.

@Ahteh : good idea. Best not take the best song ever to be compared to.
Quote by Tarsplitter

This.

Quote by Weaponized
Radiohead did it.

Not one of their own songs but a Talking Heads song wasn't it?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jan 17, 2012,