Hello there!
Recently, I saw a very famous person on youtube, he covers a lot of songs perfectly, he picks like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA6S4ZT-UQs

He doesn't rest his fingers on the pickguard like I do.. I rest my pinky, ring and middle finger on the pickguard...... And so does Michael Paget from Bullet For My Valentine!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uzrNZ7gK7g
So I'm confused... Should I rest my fingers on the pickguard or should I not??
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
It's just another way to play, and it's called anchoring. Does it feel better for you to play this way? Play the way that feels best for you, and don't worry how others play.
It's only anchoring if you're pushing into the body of the guitar to create tension and can't play with your fingers floating freely. If this is the case, then ignore the above poster, because it sets you up for injury down the road.

So with that in mind - are you tense because of the hand position, and can you play with the fingers floating off a bit?
You should play the way that feels the most comfortable. There's no 'must', because everyone has different hands, so different things work for them. I used to play like this but in some instructional DVD I saw a tutorial for playing with your pinky resting and since that time I've been playing like that. With your playing there's one minus though, you won't be able to do alternate picking, as it requires those other fingers. But playing with finger/s on guitar gives you more accuracy. It's up to you to choose, maybe you won't even need alternate picking for your style of playing.
You should try to play without anchoring before you decide to settle on anchoring for the rest of your life, because it somewhat limits your hand's range of movement, and can lead to injury.
Quote by Martis93
[...] With your playing there's one minus though, you won't be able to do alternate picking, as it requires those other fingers.

Don't you mean Hybrid, or chicken picking?
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
Don't you mean Hybrid, or chicken picking?

Yes, he does... Or he's an idiot.
Really, anyway you want it. I pick in diferent ways and my hand position themselves differently. So, just let it flow.
Thanks everybody! Alot !
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Depends on how you anchor. I use to let my hand float free with my fingers stretched above the guitar body. After abit I started to just rest my pinky by the bridge pickup mounting ring and I pick a lot better. But I'm not putting tension on my pinky, if I want to sweep or something my pinky will slide across the guitar body with my hand.

Just look at it this way;
Tension = Bad Picking
Free movement = Good Picking

Just watch how your hand reacts to picking. You'll notice if there is tension or not.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Ok thanks xter, it really hard for me to palm mute when I dont rest my fingers on the pickguard and I never apply any pressure on the resting fingers, so is it okay if i rest em while pming?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by amithkallupalam
Hello there!
Recently, I saw a very famous person on youtube, he covers a lot of songs perfectly, he picks like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA6S4ZT-UQs

He doesn't rest his fingers on the pickguard like I do.. I rest my pinky, ring and middle finger on the pickguard...... And so does Michael Paget from Bullet For My Valentine!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uzrNZ7gK7g
So I'm confused... Should I rest my fingers on the pickguard or should I not??
Do what's feel best for you. It is different from person to person.
Quote by amithkallupalam
Ok thanks xter, it really hard for me to palm mute when I dont rest my fingers on the pickguard and I never apply any pressure on the resting fingers, so is it okay if i rest em while pming?

Yup, just make sure there's no pressure on them!

Cheers,
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
If you're ever going to be tapping though, even resting your fingers on the guitar could be a hindrance, as you would have to find your original hand position again quickly.

Unless its just somewhere that you just naturally go to, it seems like it would only limit you. Also, it seems as though it could be difficult going into Finger/Hybrid picking.
Quote by AlanHB
I couldn't understand a word he said, what's that accent? Russian or something?

That's Freepower himself

So I'm assuming Ireland...

So yeah too much to drink

Please don't ban me >.>
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Nah sorry guys those countries speak English.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud