Just wondering how many different tunings everyone uses during their sets?
In my acoustic sets I use a ton but I've set my list so that the songs have as little chamge as possible. There are at least 4 variations with a dropped D and two with a C. I rarely change on electric though.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I stay in standard, but the other guitar player puts his high E down to D#, and my bass player goes to drop D from a song
one or two
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Two. Standard D and drop C.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Three: Standard, half-step down from Standard, and drop D for part of a song.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I keep two guitars onstage, one in Standard and one in Open C. Those are really the only ones I use.

I would love to have a third so I could do something really stupid, like A-E-A-D-F#-A.
Never more than one.

I don't change tunings, and I don't change guitars unless something breaks.

Any time not playing is time for the audience to get bored, and uninterested. Ideally, we never have more than 15 seconds between when a song stops and when a new one starts.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
3: standard, D standard, and standard (seven string).
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
I play 4 sets a night...

One set, I use an open G tuning for 2 songs...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Usually two, D# Standard and Drop C#. In a previous one we used Drop C and E standard.
Drop C# all day baby

And Drop D every now and then if i'm playing covers from that one japanese band hehe
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Stay in standard pretty much all the time. If anything I'll drop a half step.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Doesn't this completely depend on what you happen to be playing in a set?
Quote by al112987
Doesn't this completely depend on what you happen to be playing in a set?

Well, yes it does... LOL

We only play 2 songs that I have to change tunings for (or guitars in my case) no matter which set they're in... we play them together... and they're usually the last two in the set so there is only one interuption...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
standard, open G and open D.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
E Standard, Eb Standard, D Standard, Drop C#, Double Drop C#, B Standard (7-string), A Standard (7-string). And two songs using capos, if that can count.

I don't think I have ever played two songs in a row without changing guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thanks for all the replys i'm trying to get a band going and was thinking of songs to do and was wanting to know if i was crazy to want to have several tunings in the set. thinking mostly standard and half step down and dropped d tuneings but thats still in the works
Two to four

D#
Drop C#
Standard
Drop D

Mostly stay in D#/Drop C# -- only occasionally need standard/drop D so will avoid it if we can...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by moosejr
Thanks for all the replys i'm trying to get a band going and was thinking of songs to do and was wanting to know if i was crazy to want to have several tunings in the set. thinking mostly standard and half step down and dropped d tuneings but thats still in the works

Sounds similar to what I have going on. Most of our stuff is in D#, with a few in standard.

The thing is, your bass player will either need to re-tune or have a 2nd bass handy -- so it's not just all about you.

Also, it pretty much comes down to the singer. If he can sing the same songs in the alternate tuning, then you don't need to worry about it too much. But very often singers have a hard time with hitting a range that would be solved by the alternate tuning -- so keep that in mind.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
With the band I sing for, I'm usually in Drop C. We have a couple of songs in D Standard, but we don't play them very often. With the band I'm just playing guitar for, I'm in Drop D the whole time.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Quote by richardlpalmer
Sounds similar to what I have going on. Most of our stuff is in D#, with a few in standard.

The thing is, your bass player will either need to re-tune or have a 2nd bass handy -- so it's not just all about you.

Also, it pretty much comes down to the singer. If he can sing the same songs in the alternate tuning, then you don't need to worry about it too much. But very often singers have a hard time with hitting a range that would be solved by the alternate tuning -- so keep that in mind.

So very true when i first started i only had one guitar so it was always standard but no i have 6 main guitars so i can be more versatile on songs. like you said the bass player and singer have alot to do with what you can do as well. but i just can wait to get back playing in a full group again i have a hard time getting people to jam with here in nw Iowa i anyone happens to be from around nw Iowa give me a pm.

again thanks for all the reply's, Yall rock !!!!!
How often do you play a song hlaf step down instead of standard or vice versa to make things easier thas what i used to do alot but the tone always seems suffer when doing that to me.
RG320DXQM
RG4EXQM1
S370DX
GRGA42QA
Washburn WR 150
lotus les paul copy
special 112
valveking 100 watt head
ADA MP1 & MP2
QUDRAVERB
Msp4
MORLEY BAD HORSIE WAH
RX412 Randall cab
2x12 with eminence legends
If I had a band, I'd probably use standard/drop D, half-step down/drop C#, and D standard/drop C, if the rest of the band was okay with it. I enjoy songs in all of those tunings, and alternate tunings give a lot more variety to the song-writing process.
I play standard tuning most of the time and use a capo to get the higher register.
I do have a few tunes I play in Drop D and my favourite Open G for instrumental songs.
So easy to ad-lib with open tunings.
Standard and Drop H.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
I don't play live, but I only write in two tunings so far. EBGDAEBE, and EBGDAEAC#. Anything else I'd use a capo, but I can't find one wide enough...
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Drop H kicks ass!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
1 band is all E standard, my other band is D standard and drop C
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100