So it turns out the truss rod on my current guitar, a Yamaha PAC112J, is broken, and getting it fixed would cost more than the guitar itself. F that I say!

So I need a new one.

Budget?: 300-400€

Favorite Artists?: Off the top of my head, I like Angus Young, Marty Friedman and Paul Gilbert.

Preferences?: Body shape doesn't really hugely matter to me. I'd prefer it not to weigh a million tonnes though. Number of frets, at least 22 is preferred. I don't care all that much about brands either. Neck profile is a tricky one, I'm not really sure. I've got kinda small hands though, so I'd prefer the neck to not be very big.

Pickups?: Humbuckers would be nice. As far as configuration goes, as long as it has atleast two pickups, I'm fine.

New or Used?: Doesn't matter to me, I'd prefer suggestions for new ones though, because the second-hand market for guitars isn't very big around here.

Location?: Helsinki, Finland

Current Gear?: Yamaha PAC112J (which is what I'm trying to replace), Roland Micro Cube. Also, I have Kyser Quick Change Capo, which I'm not sure would work on a flat fretboard, since the rubber bit is kinda curved.
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
when i saw Motorhead, every bass kick shook the place

when they played Overkill at the end i nearly involuntarily shat myself
Last edited by Concurssi at Jan 16, 2012,
Epiphone SG/LP?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I added a bit to the current gear spot.
Quote by BlitzkriegAir

Quote by Most_Triumphant
Epiphone SG/LP?

I'm gonna take note of that, but I think they all have flat fretboards, which sucks 'cuz I only just got this capo.
So I'm gonna wait a bit.
Quote by BlitzkriegAir

I would suggest an Ibanez RGR321 because its nice and light, has some versitility, very thin neck and a pretty flat fingerboard as its orientated for shred. You could get yourself a metal capo that has a rubber strip so it fits to different radii. One of these.

You might be interested in a Jackson JS series if you like shred, but don't want a fingerboard that's too flat on the lower frets. If you want something more orientated for classic rock, Epi G400 all the way.

As for used, the world is your oyster. You might be lucky enough to get a used S Series with some change left over for some pickups.

Quote by Concurssi
I'm gonna take note of that, but I think they all have flat fretboards, which sucks 'cuz I only just got this capo.
So I'm gonna wait a bit.

They actually don't. They have 12" radius fretboards and always have done. 12" is typical for Gibson style guitars.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 16, 2012,
My capo has a rubber strip, but it's curved slightly.
I tried to put it on my desk and it seems to grab the flat surface okay, so no worries there I think.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

They actually don't. They have 12" radius fretboards and always have done.

Oh, cool. I played my friends LP Studio once, and I remember it having a flat fretboard. Guess I was wrong .
Quote by BlitzkriegAir

The G-400 is looking pretty inviting right now. I'm gonna have to pop by a store and try one out.
What's the real difference between the normal one and the 61 reissue?

And thanks to the added perspective I got from trying to set up my Pacifica, I'm also wondering, how much of a mmmbeeeyyytch is the G-400 to setup?
How does one find out what the finish is like? My stand doesn't like nitro finishes.
Quote by BlitzkriegAir

My Epi Wilshire has been a big surprise in terms of pure awesomeness. HSS Strat may do the trick; if looking for a small neck, perhaps a Mustang?
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
Quote by Concurssi
The G-400 is looking pretty inviting right now. I'm gonna have to pop by a store and try one out.
What's the real difference between the normal one and the 61 reissue?

From how it seems, the 61 has P90's and is a wraparound.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Epiphone/Ltd-Ed-50th-Anniversary-1961-SG-Special.aspx

Unless we're talking about a different guitar here.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I think that might be a different one. This is the one I was looking at: http://www.f-musiikki.fi/kitarat_ja_vahvistimet/sahkokitarat/eg400sg61ch_g400_reissue_sg61_cherry_/_epiphone
I know you won't understand a word there, but it doesn't say special or limited anywhere. I can't find info on these anywhere, though, so who knows .
If it is the one you linked to, I'm probably gonna go for the normal one, if I do go for a G400.
Quote by BlitzkriegAir

I think G400's have 60's neck profiles anyway.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I would definitely look at an sg or a wilshire. Both are light and sound great. I have small hands and once I got used to the wilshire's neck it felt great.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
I don't think the store even has Wilshires, so I can't try those out. I'll check though.
Quote by BlitzkriegAir

I would look at some of the ESP LTD's that would fall under your budget. Even the cheap ones play and sound pretty good.
I went and tried the G-400 and the LP.
The LP felt like I was playing an entire tree, but G-400 felt great.
The neck was a lot wider than what I'm used to, but I think I can get used to that, I didn't really have any trouble with it.
It also felt a lot more solid and a lot more comfortable to play than the Pacifica. Sounded better too.
The only problem is the price... they ask like 200€ more for it than all the webstores and I can't afford to pay almost 500€ for a guitar right now. What do you guys think about buying online?

I asked a dude in the store what the difference is between the normal G-400 and the 61 reissue, and he said the 61 just has different pickups.

Also still this:
Quote by Concurssi

And thanks to the added perspective I got from trying to set up my Pacifica, I'm also wondering, how much of a mmmbeeeyyytch is the G-400 to setup?
And how does one find out what the finish is like? My stand doesn't like nitro finishes.

Edit: also, what do you think about the "vintage" or "faded" G-400? It's cheaper, but I don't see why that is.
Quote by BlitzkriegAir

Last edited by Concurssi at Jan 19, 2012,
Anyone?
Quote by BlitzkriegAir