Hey guys, I'm here with my first NGD in a few years; I Ran down to the Ohio Guitar Show in Columbus yesterday and came across this:

Lucky, lucky me, It's a 1962 Silvertone 1448, one of the weird little silvertone packages i've been hoping to get a hold of ever since i got my 1484.

[commencing picture dump ]

The guitar's a little 3/4 size 18 fret hunk of poplar and masonite that plays startlingly well for it's size. I'm a pretty lanky dude, and usually have issues with smaller guitars (virtually anything thats not my V) but i don't get bottled up at all on this thing.

Now, it's not in pristine condition, the guitar's a little rough, the body has started to separate very lightly along one edge but that's no big deal to have fixed up. The previous owner also swapped out the original tuners but I was looking for a player, not a true collectors piece. The only other small issue it has is a terrible fret buzz up around the 14th fret on the first and second strings, but honestly you won't be that far up the neck on this thing too often.

we cleaned the pots and input jack and tightened everything up and it sounds wonderful, just like you'd expect an old dan'o to sound. The best part about this guitar was the price: i nabbed it for an even $350, every one i've seen since and before has been at or around the $500 dollar mark.

The amp-in-case works wonderfully as well. It's just a quiet little 3 watt, but it's great for bedroom-practicing and pushes a surprisingly nice clean tone that grits up easy if i push it. It's definitely not a gig-worthy amp but mic'd right it should record ok for me. I'll post some video demos of the whole rig when i get enough of a break from school and work to do so.

Here's a link to a song i recorded with it. not a great song (and my soundcloud's really just for jotting stuff down and posting it for review) but it'll give you an idea what the tone this thing puts out is like; i think you'll be surprised...

http://soundcloud.com/ian-fijalkovich/step-aside
Last edited by I_Fij at Jan 17, 2012,
wow thats pretty cool! id heard of these before but havent seen one in a while! that would be a fun git and amp/case to own! nice score!

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

I've seen footage of Page using one of these, but what year it was, and what name was on the head i'm not sure. A year after this one they switched over to 21 frets, and started offering 2 pickup models, but this *is* a dano' . Dano made a bunch of stuff for the Silvertone brand back in the '60s and '70s. whether or not dano' put this model out under their name I'm not sure.
Quote by I_Fij
I've seen footage of Page using one of these, but what year it was, and what name was on the head i'm not sure. A year after this one they switched over to 21 frets, and started offering 2 pickup models, but this *is* a dano' . Dano made a bunch of stuff for the Silvertone brand back in the '60s and '70s. whether or not dano' put this model out under their name I'm not sure.

Thought they had something to do with each other. Sweet stuff though. And is that a valve amp in the case? I've always been a sucker for lipstick tube pickups...
Yup, it's a little 3watt tube running off a 12ax7. the lipstick sounds awesome, though i need to fiddle with it's adjustment a bit; the previous owner has it set kinda wonky but it should be easy to readjust.
HNGD!

Quote by I_Fij

Jimmy Page was known to use a Danoelectro Shorthorn (what's now called a 59 DC), not a Silvertone Amp-in-a-box, though, they are basically the same thing but the cutaways are shaped differently (and both made by Danoelectro).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Didn't Jimmy Page use something similar quite often? Or was that a Danelectro?

Pretty sure it was a Danelectro, but it did look similar to that.

I wish I could've went to that show.. I live in Columbus.. had to work though. Was hoping to go and find an old RG. Congrats thought! Cool find.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
You owe me new pants.

350 for a vintage Silvertone with the amp-in-case? FUUUUUUUUUU I dropped 300 on a 1st reissue 59dc!

hngd mang
Quote by 3074326
I wish I could've went to that show.. I live in Columbus.. had to work though. Was hoping to go and find an old RG. Congrats thought! Cool find.

There wasn't terribly much in the way of Ibanez there, I was actually somewhat disappointed in the selection, but then i was shopping around for Valco, Airline, Supro, Tokai, Teisco , Silvertone, etc. I'm ecstatic i found this though.

350 for a vintage Silvertone with the amp-in-case? FUUUUUUUUUU I dropped 300 on a 1st reissue 59dc!

I didn't save *that* much on it, a 1448 like this one averages around 500 bucks, but yeah i'd rather have this than one of the reissues :P

My next goal is to snag a 1457 and then work my way back. I'd like to have one of each of the Amp In Case models... I just gotta find a 1457 in nice shape that's under 800 bucks :/
Some cool vintage stuff there but def not something I would ever consider buying haha. Sounds great!
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Wow that got pretty murky with the fuzz.
Sounded great otherwise!

I kiiinda did that on purpose, though i went a little overboard (and the ****ups weren't entirely intentional either, what can i say, it's a work in progress :P). Did a fairly decent job though considering the pedal was a Vox Satchurator, which *really* isn't meant for that kind of tone.
Quote by I_Fij

I didn't save *that* much on it, a 1448 like this one averages around 500 bucks, but yeah i'd rather have this than one of the reissues :P

My next goal is to snag a 1457 and then work my way back. I'd like to have one of each of the Amp In Case models... I just gotta find a 1457 in nice shape that's under 800 bucks :/

The reissue isnt bad, it's the lower output one with concentric pots and rosewood bridge. Decent tone but significantly less mojo than a vintage one. I wouldn't go for one of the "pro" ones.

I'm still amazed, I've never seen one under 700 with the case. That might be because my local classifieds and pawn shops suck hard.
You sure it's a 1448 you're seeing? there are 4 or 5 models that people tend to call the 1448: The 1448, 1449 (in two variants i believe, maybe 3?) and the 1457. 1448 was the 1962 model and has 18 frets and one pickup, that's mine and it's probably the least desireable. the 1449 had (i believe, but need to read more) a one pickup model, and a 2 pickup model, and had 21 frets. the 1457 had 2 pickups, 21 frets and I *believe* the amp had onboard tremolo. Granted, a solid half of that is coming squarely out of my ass from half-remembered blurbs from some old research I did, but i find it hard to believe a regular old '62 1448 is going that high... then again maybe i just need to get where you are to off this thing and trade up
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-1964-Silvertone-Guitar-Amp-Case-Model-1448-CLEAN-Sounds-Plays-EX-/300646662376?pt=Guitar&hash=item45fff000e8

800 bones, brutal

But yea, whenever anything remotely interesting shows up in my local classifieds (rare occurence, maybe once a month), the seller thinks its the holy grail of awesome and tries to steal all my monies. Havn't seen a Silvertone for sale in my area for ages.
Hah, shame man. i've had some luck around here: I nabbed a 1484 halfstack locally for 400 bucks a little over a year ago (it is, of course, my main amplifier now). and there's a 1485 online right now for 500, without a cab that i'm considering picking up to add to the collection of press-board nonsensense sitting in my basement.
Bizarre but awesome! HNGD! Looks like a Dano, but that headstock is crazy! Agreed - post a vid of that amp/case. Never seen anything like it.