So I've tried out a couple of Les Pauls and I know the necks are much, much thicker than a strat that I'm used to. I've been looking at the 50's and 60's tribute LPs. I forget which decade had the thicker neck. If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it.
60s has a thinner neck. I wouldn't call it drastically thicker than a standard strat neck. The 50s neck certainly is, though.
Quote by Roc8995
60s has a thinner neck. I wouldn't call it drastically thicker than a standard strat neck. The 50s neck certainly is, though.

Thanks... I was hoping it would be the other way around... they don't make the 60s ones with humbuckers
Quote by tomc2
Thanks... I was hoping it would be the other way around... they don't make the 60s ones with humbuckers

You're looking at the Tribute 50s/60s Studios, aren't you?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Most of the 60s necks come out a little bit thinner than the standard C-shape Fender neck. Most 50s necks are somewhat thicker, about 2mm all-round to my hands. But every neck varies with Gibson. You can get 60s necks that are thicker than 50s ones, 50s that are thinner than any Fender neck - Gibson are very bad at getting their neck contours to be how the spec sheet says. But in general you shoudl be fine with the 60s neck. The vast majority are aroudn the same thickness as a regular Fender neck, some a tiny bit thicker, some a tiny bit thinner.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by tomc2
Yessir

Well, you can always try to put some P90-sized humbuckers in it, in case you don't like the P90s.
Also there are for example Bareknuckle P90s which can easily handle most genres, including metal.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
The LP Studio Mahogany has the 60s neck and humbuckers. I'd try one of those - very nice guitars, and decently priced.
NO they dont

assuming your shopping the studio

studio = big 50's rounded neck with humbucker .

studio limited tribute 60's run ( or something like that ) = 60's slim taper neck but with P90 pickups.

the reason Gibson didnt put the 60's slim taper on the regular studio is that it would probably hurt the sell of the Les paul standard . but they are certain verison i think mahogany that has the slim neck .

the 50's rounded neck is horrible if you have small hands like me . the 60's neck is decent though .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 17, 2012,
tomc: quote on the page : "You'll find the '50s rounded neck fast and player friendly. "

LOL ..

i shopped for a les paul studio / tribute etc.. and like you i couldnt find the combinaison i wanted .. the only les paul with the slim taper ( 60's neck ) had P-90 and i hate those pickups ( specially for punk, metal ) .

Good luck . like i said .. it would probably hurt the Les paul standard if the studio faded were available with the 60's slim taper .

thats the only thing that kept me away from Gibson Studio. i hate the baseballl bat ( 50's rounded neck ) . i come from a stratocaster too .

one other thing .. if you choose a Studio faded .. try to take the faded brown and not a solid color .. cause since its only a thin lacquer for a finish .. it wears out fast so it might not look beautiful after a couple of years .. a faded brown will look more like "wood " . i wouldnt take ebony for a faded .

but n-e way i ordered an Agile Slim and its a no looking back . slimmest neck ive seen ( slim like an ibanez , more confortable than my u.s.a strat
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jan 17, 2012,