Hello,

I've been asked to fill in for a friend's band to play a couple of church functions. A few of the songs they've asked me to play apparently require a delay pedal, which I do not have. But I figured now is as good a time as any---I do have the extra money lying around.

What pedal would be best suited for the delay sounds these songs go for?

Angels & Airwaves---The Adventure
Angels & Airwaves---Saturday Love
Ivoryline---Vessels (the lead guitar part)
Of Dust & Nations---Thrice
Sweet Disposition---The Temper Trap

For the most part, these songs seem to be what I'd look for in a delay pedal anyways. Either filling out the lead guitar sound (Similar to what this guy has going on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4LqYrnoX1Q) or a more rhythmic delay.

Edit:
Last edited by Always-Ben at Jan 16, 2012,
Something told me Sweet Disposition might be on this list.

I don't know the others, but I do know that the Temper Trap track has a tight, rhythmic delay. As such, a delay with tap tempo could be extremely useful. Many delays have tap tempo built in (Line 6 DL4), some require an additional non-latching foot switch to operate the tap tempo function (Boss DD7).
a really awesome delay pedal that could work out nicely for the AVA stuff at least (but i'm sure would go great with the rest) would be the DD-20 giga delay
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
tc electronics nova delay [or repeater if on a budget].
You didn't give a budget, so really I should be recommending strymon and rack delays.
But I'm assuming you do have a budget
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
tc electronics nova delay [or repeater if on a budget].
You didn't give a budget, so really I should be recommending strymon and rack delays.
But I'm assuming you do have a budget

Budget would be anchoring around $250--$275. If truly enticing, maybe up to $300.
There are a lot of options with delays. The further you get into the world of delay and delay tone the more complicated it gets; what I am about to say is quite basic, use it as a guide.

You can organise delays into a few tiers, that go something like this, generally sorted in terms of functionality and price.

rack/non-guitar specific delays (often the most expensive and difficult to integrate into a rig)

top tier pedal delays: Timeline, Timefactor, DC Timeline
upper tier pedal delays: DD20, TC Nova, Timebender, DL4 & M-series (M5,9,13)
pedals between upper and middle: DX. MemBoy, TC Repeater, TC Flashback (I REALLY like this one), DD3, DD6 (discontinued but amazing), DD7
middle tier (delays that generally have limited functions, I.E. carbon copy): Carbon Copy, lots of EHX delays, most random company small form analog pedals..
lower tier: sub $100 crappy delays

So basically, for $170-$200 (used) you could have a DD20, TC Nova, DL4 etc.. These guys will do everything you need and probably more.

For the same price, $170-$200 you could get a lot of the middle-uppertier delays new.

Basically, looking for delays? Shop used. Unless you want a Timeline, cause people love to jack the used price on those guys.

EDIT: noticed budget, you can afford most delay pedals for that price, excluding the top tier guys and some extra-boutique crap. I'd craigslist DD20's, TC novas and flashbacks, DL4s or DD6s... ALSO, I have seen eventide timefactors go for $300, and you can't go wrong with one of those, but I don't think you'd be using all of its functions.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by Zamorak at Jan 16, 2012,
Quote by Zamorak
There are a lot of options with delays. The further you get into the world of delay and delay tone the more complicated it gets; what I am about to say is quite basic, use it as a guide.

You can organise delays into a few tiers, that go something like this, generally sorted in terms of functionality and price.

rack/non-guitar specific delays (often the most expensive and difficult to integrate into a rig)

top tier pedal delays: Timeline, Timefactor, DC Timeline
upper tier pedal delays: DD20, TC Nova, Timebender, DL4 & M-series (M5,9,13)
pedals between upper and middle: DX. MemBoy, TC Repeater, TC Flashback (I REALLY like this one), DD3, DD6 (discontinued but amazing), DD7
middle tier (delays that generally have limited functions, I.E. carbon copy): Carbon Copy, lots of EHX delays, most random company small form analog pedals..
lower tier: sub $100 crappy delays

So basically, for $170-$200 (used) you could have a DD20, TC Nova, DL4 etc.. These guys will do everything you need and probably more.

For the same price, $170-$200 you could get a lot of the middle-uppertier delays new.

Basically, looking for delays? Shop used. Unless you want a Timeline, cause people love to jack the used price on those guys.

EDIT: noticed budget, you can afford most delay pedals for that price, excluding the top tier guys and some extra-boutique crap. I'd craigslist DD20's, TC novas and flashbacks, DL4s or DD6s... ALSO, I have seen eventide timefactors go for $300, and you can't go wrong with one of those, but I don't think you'd be using all of its functions.

Yeah, for the most part, I don't think I'd be using a majority of the options that would come with a bells-n-whistles pedal. I guess what'd be nice is to have one with preset options so that different delay settings could be switched around, which it may look like I will have to do with these songs. Digital sounds like the way to go soundwise. Making sure there's little to no tone suck is important too.

People have been telling me stuff about true bypass and self-oscillation. Now, those, terms, I am not familiar with. First of all, are they really anything worth worrying about for what I'm looking for?
Last edited by Always-Ben at Jan 16, 2012,
i like the TC nova and repeater. which ever you like better. if your church is playing the same type of music mine played, you will almost need tap tempo. which is most often found on digital units. i opted out. i wasn't interested in anything they were playing and the guy leading it wasn't a person i would have gotten along with.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
One of my friends recommended the Stereo Memory Man Hazarai. How does that pedal measure up to everything else being posted here?
dd7.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by Always-Ben
One of my friends recommended the Stereo Memory Man Hazarai. How does that pedal measure up to everything else being posted here?

It's pretty bad
Used strymon el cap unless you need dotted 8th notes tap tempo (ie U2 stuff)
Otherwise I'd probably recommend a tc nova delay.
RIP Gooze

cats