hello

can anyone tell me about the fender concert 1962 amps? (not the paul rivera design). i can't find much about them on the internet but i've been given the chance to buy one for around £800 (off someone i distantly know). i've played it a few times on very low volumes but no idea what the headroom is or anything. anyone know what the going price is for one of these amps? bearing in mind its the amps 50th birthday this year haha. its US 110 voltage but the owner will throw in a transformer. im not very experienced with amps, anyone care to shed some light?

cheers
That's a pretty good price if it's in good condition. Good amp. Brownfaces are always worth owning, it can only increase in value and they sound great. Very loud amp, you won't be disappointed.

http://ampwares.com/amplifiers/fender-brownface-concert/
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
cheers mate
i just contacted the owner and have been told it is actually a 1963 model, i think it is a blackface. what are the differences between the brownface and blackface models? all valves are recent and original speakers, couple of bumps on the exterior of the amp but that's it. sorry for the confusion haha

cheers
The Blackfaces are more civilised. It's probably what you want more going by your questions. The brownfaces get dirtier quicker. The main difference really is that they switched to a 12AT7 phase inverter in the blackface so it stays cleaner at higher volumes. I prefer the brownfaces myself, they growl more when you crank them. Both are extremely good amps though and either is worth owning.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
thank for your info mate! i'll definitely try it out. will be playing through an american tele so hopefully wont sound too shabby
If it doesn't blow your mind there's something wrong with it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ask if the filter caps have been swapped out for new ones. You don't want leaky caps.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Then again, you are only talking about $30 worth of caps if you go for the best electros available and iirc they all mounted on the board so it's a 10 minute job. Would take longer to pull the chassis out than actually to replace them.
On any brownface of blackface I'd change the caps as a matter of course. It certainly wouldn't enter into my calculations.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 16, 2012,
Yea I know, just trying to cover all the bases Cath!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
i had a brownface Concert 4x10 back in the early 80s and it was a really good amp. nice clean sound and it took pedals well for a decent distortion sound. limited tone controls was a minus but overall it worked well and was my first "band" amp.
a 63 would still be a brown face iirc.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
63 was when they released the blackface version. There would be some brownfaces made at the start of the year but 63 was the changeover.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification