I have one guitar teacher which is a pretty good one. But I just take lessons from him 15 minutes a week which is max . I want to take lessons from another guitar teacher too. Not only because of the limited time but I feel like I need someone to help me with OTHER things.
My currently teacher teachs me a lot of technique (which is good!) but I feel like there would be better with two teachers.

What do you UGs think about this? Hope my explanation was ok :3
I had two teachers for awhile and I found their differing perspectives on my playing quite helpful. If you can make it happen I suggest you go for it.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
If you can afford it, sure!
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Well, that would be twice as many as I have.

If it's no inconvenience to you in any respect then yeah, sounds like a good idea. The way I see it, the more the resources, the better.
15 minute lessons, wtf?

What are these "other things" that you are wanting to learn from the 2nd teacher?
Quote by al112987
15 minute lessons, wtf?

What are these "other things" that you are wanting to learn from the 2nd teacher?
My current guitar teacher teach me lots of technique and some jazz. That is his specialty and I have improved a lot! But I feel like I need another teacher to learn "other things". Something which is out of my current teacher's area. I want to learn more about metal playing and soloing. So that means I focus at other things with the 2nd guitar teacher to improve even more.
A lot of guitar teachers teach using jazz because it's a good way to build fundamentals. Typically if you have sufficient knowledge to be a competent jazz player, you can play competently in most situations. To me, that is more important than learning metal techniques if you are a beginner. Music is a common language. Metal has to follow the same rules as jazz. And in my opinion, it's better to know those rules and then learn to adapt them to different styles rather than vice versa. It makes things easier in the long run and you end up a better, and more competent musician (not just guitar player). But that's just one person's opinion.

I see no reason why you would need another teacher to teach you soloing. A jazz player should have no problem teaching you how to play lead. If you have one teacher that is working well and who has been keeping track of your progress, then I would suggest consistency and stick with one teacher, but to find a way to spend more time with him. 15 minutes a lesson is simply not enough. That's my opinion at least, but I'm a big believer that strong fundamentals=better player in the long run.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 17, 2012,
I agree with al112987 100%.

After playing 6 years, I started takeing jazz lessons, it was the best money I've ever spent.

Almost 40 years later and I still take lessons every 3 or 4 years for six month periods from various teachers over the years and still learning.

A good foundation in jazz or classical really makes learning other genres pretty easy. To quote my first guitar instructor after I told him I wanted him to help me on some Chuck Berry song I was try to figure out, he got a little angry and said, "do you want to learn how to play songs, or do you want to learn music so you can play any song?" I'm glad I took his scolding to heart, it made me a much better muscian.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by al112987
A lot of guitar teachers teach using jazz because it's a good way to build fundamentals. Typically if you have sufficient knowledge to be a competent jazz player, you can play competently in most situations. To me, that is more important than learning metal techniques if you are a beginner. Music is a common language. Metal has to follow the same rules as jazz. And in my opinion, it's better to know those rules and then learn to adapt them to different styles rather than vice versa. It makes things easier in the long run and you end up a better, and more competent musician (not just guitar player). But that's just one person's opinion.

I see no reason why you would need another teacher to teach you soloing. A jazz player should have no problem teaching you how to play lead. If you have one teacher that is working well and who has been keeping track of your progress, then I would suggest consistency and stick with one teacher, but to find a way to spend more time with him. 15 minutes a lesson is simply not enough. That's my opinion at least, but I'm a big believer that strong fundamentals=better player in the long run.
Thanks for taking your time to this and I agree in what you are saying, but my problem is that there is no way to get more than 15 minute lessons :L
I would argue that guitar playing is all about practice, what exactly do you get for your 15 minutes and how would having another 45 make it any better? every generic music shop I go in has books on things to learn for guitar, the internet is full of information on music as a subject. The only thing holding you back from learning more is you. Personally when I'm learning something and I'm doing it wrong the guitarist I tech for spots it the second I'm doing it and shows me an easier way or the correct technique. As for advancing, record yourself once a month if you dont feel your getting any better. When you listen back I would hazard a guess the difference would be noticeable.
Quote by coolstoryangus
youtube can be a pretty rad teacher and it doesnt cost anything..

YouTube doesn't give you feedback on your playing or give you crap for not practicing.
Quote by Quintex
YouTube doesn't give you feedback on your playing or give you crap for not practicing.
This, the entire accountability factor is out the window.
Quote by Cornishrob
I would argue that guitar playing is all about practice, what exactly do you get for your 15 minutes and how would having another 45 make it any better? every generic music shop I go in has books on things to learn for guitar, the internet is full of information on music as a subject. The only thing holding you back from learning more is you. Personally when I'm learning something and I'm doing it wrong the guitarist I tech for spots it the second I'm doing it and shows me an easier way or the correct technique. As for advancing, record yourself once a month if you dont feel your getting any better. When you listen back I would hazard a guess the difference would be noticeable.
Thanks for feedback I know it is all about practice.. But I have good practice routines. I just wonder if I should get me two guitar teachers. I have got great response to this thread so it easier to decide now.
Dang, my last teacher ONLY offered 1 hour lessons. My problem was getting too much info between lessons and not having time to assimilate it.

Knock yourself out though. Pick another teacher (YouTube or local) for licks/solo/songs/writing/etc. and use your current teacher for technique. It's all good!
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native