I graduated with a university degree...but I have an interest in pursuing my own business
for guitar teaching and whatnot. Anyone try it? Any experiences or input how you balance work/guitar?
The largest regular income I had from music was late spring last year.
I was in two covers bands and teaching two regular students and a few one off students.

I'd make £40-£60 per gig (pretty much one every Saturday, if not Friday and Saturday) and I'd get roughly £15 from teaching in the week. (I didn't treat it as money to live off and had no degrees or anything so I only charged my students £5 an hour).

But. As I said I wasn't treating this like I was living off of it. One of the covers bands I was in was just because they needed a bassist, I happened to be quick at learning sets, plus my other band's drummer was on drums for a while. My other band was only a cover band because of our singer, she's now left and we're looking for a singer for originals.
Plus my student base was very small and I was under-charging them by quite a lot.

Just a very rough idea on some numbers from someone who was doing it reasonably casually!
If your good at guitar and like teaching, and you live in an area that has a need for a guitar teacher you can do very well.

Around here I see one on one lessons for 15 dollars per half hour and that's considered a good price.

So if you get enough students that's 30 dollars an hour playing guitar. say you manage to get 80 kids for 40 hours a week that's 1200 a week or 62,400 a year.
sigh...
That's what I'm planning on doing. It's unrealistic and gunna be hard, but that's my aim in life. To live comfortably from music.
My guitar teacher is amazing, and he charges 12$ per half-hour lesson. I think it's crazy, but anyhow, I plan to follow in his footsteps. When he retires, or if he moves or whatever, I'll try to get in the business and get his old students.
Me
You gotta constantly be searching for work unless you have an awesome manager
I make enough to get by, going on tour for just over a week and making over 1000 bucks.
It's great if you are touring all the time.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by enceps
If your good at guitar and like teaching, and you live in an area that has a need for a guitar teacher you can do very well.

Around here I see one on one lessons for 15 dollars per half hour and that's considered a good price.

So if you get enough students that's 30 dollars an hour playing guitar. say you manage to get 80 kids for 40 hours a week that's 1200 a week or 62,400 a year.

80 kids? Holy balls, I don't think that's a reasonable estimate of how many someone could handle if he's doing one on one lessons
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
I imagine its tough just getting about 10 students who are fully committed to an independent teacher...and then thats only like 300 dollars a week...1200 a month...14 000 a year
People stopped becoming millionaires from playing guitar in the 90s. Sadly.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
That's what I'm planning on doing. It's unrealistic and gunna be hard, but that's my aim in life. To live comfortably from music.

This. Allow me to be a typical 16 yr old: I don't care what happens, as long as i wind up doing what i love until the bitter, bitter end.
My guitar teacher lives off of teaching and repairs at our local music shop nowadays. He's known as one of the best at teaching and repairs in the area though so a status like that doesn't become achieved overnight but yes you can, to an extent, live off playing guitar.
Quote by seeneyj
Me
You gotta constantly be searching for work unless you have an awesome manager
I make enough to get by, going on tour for just over a week and making over 1000 bucks.
It's great if you are touring all the time.

Man that sounds like such work, but at the same time the most fun thing I can think of.

It's great seeing loads of people doing something with music, almost to the point where I sort of like music again.

OT: I've never made any living off my own music tbh, probably cause of the fact that I hate playing by myself and need someone to do so with me, but can't find anyone. It's my top plan though, like someone else said "to the bitter, bitter end".
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jan 17, 2012,
i know two really successful guys at around 15 - my cousin plays piano accordian. he went busking for three hours and had enough cash to pay for his airfare from new zealand to ireland. insane.

then, a guy at my school is super talented. like, EVH in the 70s and 80s talented. he plays gigs and busks and rakes in a killing.

so yes, even by busking, you can make a shitton if you can do something everybody else does shit.