My band is going to buy a monitor (floor wedge) which will just be running vocals. This is specifically just for rehearsals.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-EUROLIVE-F1220A-12--125W-Powered-Monitor-105317937-i1448434.gc#close

My question is do I need a mixer to go a long with that? I already have a small audio interface (alesis io2 express) which has 2 mic inputs, could I just use that?

2 Other questions that are sort of related:
1. Should we just get a pa system instead? I was told most venues already have pa systems so we don't need to get one.

2. Do you think this is loud enough for vocalist, 2 guitars, bass and drums?

Thanks.
PA would probably be a better route. You'll be pushing that powered monitor to its limits almost every time you use it and it probably wont last that long.
that'd be fine for vocals. a full PA would work better, but you're not going to find anything much better without spending twice as much (or more) money.

this should work fine for what you want to do.
Quote by Jabels225
PA would probably be a better route. You'll be pushing that powered monitor to its limits almost every time you use it and it probably wont last that long.

Can anyone second this? I dont want to buy it if it's just going to crap out out on me.
Personally, I prefer individual components. Mixer, power amp, and speakers as individual pieces. That way you can replace only what breaks, or upgrade the weak links as needed.

You are correct that most venues have their own PA gear, including mixer, mains, and monitors.

With that powered speaker, you should be fine pushing vocals. You can pick up a cheap mixer (Behringer makes several) to act as a preamp and EQ your vocals, and run that into the powered speaker. I would consider getting 2 speakers, left and right channels.

As an example of our monitor (practice) PA setup: we have (2) 10" passive wedge monitors, a Behringer 1202fx mixer, and a Pyle PTA1000 amp. It's a cheap setup, and it's all we need for practice. Anything louder is bringing the cops anyways. It's taken our licks for the last 2 years. If I had to change anything, I might get a set of 12" monitors to handle a little more power or bass response.
BTW, I looked closer at the specs, and it has EQ controls and xlr mic inputs. If you wanted to go standalone with this, it would take a mic directly. I think it'd work out for practice. It seemed to get decent reviews.

Try it out. Take it back to GC if it doesn't meet band needs. Maybe add a second down the road if needed.
For practices running just vocals, you'll be more than fine with this combo speaker. Given that it can run an XLR input AND equalize, it will be loud enough to cut through vocals in a practice setting.

I wouldn't dare use this type of component in a live show setting, but for practice it will do just fine.
It will be ok for rehearsal and a powered foldback wedge is always worth having. If there's one thing house PA's cut costs on it's foldback.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^^^ This, my band recently purchased our own set of powered monitors as every venue we've been to lately has had zero foldback. Singing surf harmonies ain't gonna happen when you can't hear yourself over the reverb tank lol!
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!