Im tabbing out 7th chords, just finished all the root position 7th chords in G major with no problem, then when I started tabbing out the 1st inversion 7th chords, starting with G maj7 (B,D,F#,G) with B on the D String, D on the G string, F# on the B string, and G On the E string, I get a chord that looks like this:

____3____
____7____
____7____
____9____
_________
_________

Basically I tried and can not make the stretch to play this chord, so what am I supposed to do if I want to play A 1st inversion maj7 chord on my guitar?
What you're attempting is a closed voicing. The first inversion voicing on the top 4 strings is

-
-
Last edited by mdc at Jan 16, 2012,
The notes of a chord don't always have to go in order, as long as the bass note is correct. Gmaj7/B could be voiced as B D F# G, B F# G D, B G D F#, B D G F#, B F# D G, or B G F# D
Quote by 123mac123
Im tabbing out 7th chords, just finished all the root position 7th chords in G major with no problem, then when I started tabbing out the 1st inversion 7th chords, starting with G maj7 (B,D,F#,G) with B on the D String, D on the G string, F# on the B string, and G On the E string, I get a chord that looks like this:

____3____
____7____
____7____
____9____
_________
_________

Basically I tried and can not make the stretch to play this chord, so what am I supposed to do if I want to play A 1st inversion maj7 chord on my guitar?

Try these voicings for Maj7th and inversions...

http://www.discoverguitaronline.com/diagrams/view/57
B-F#-B-D-G for one, but its a pretty dense voicing (notes going lowest to highest, the lowest being the B on the A string
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
1st inversion Gmaj7 chords

Form 1 (7th in soprano) drop 3 voicing
-
-

Form 2 (5th in soprano) drop 2 voicing
-
-

Form 4 (root in soprano) closed voicing
-
-