So my band has been around for a while, I'm the new guitarist though. We're constantly getting nothing but crap, and we have people from another band starting rumors about us and people believe them because they are more popular. It has gone beyond just one band at this point and now pretty much every band around here is pissed at us for shit we didn't do, which makes it hard to book shows. Does anyone have any advice to handle things like this?
Do no gigs, practice like absolute mad, then re emerge and blow them off the stage.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Any7423
Do no gigs, practice like absolute mad, then re emerge and blow them off the stage.

Not this.
Just ignore it, do people really care that much?
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
What rumours are they spreading? Just say announce at your gigs that they aren't true.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
spread rumours that their rumours are untrue
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by RetroGunslinger
spread rumours that their rumours are untrue

How devious, I like it.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Not being a little bitch about it normally helps.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
The advice on how to handle it is:

Take care of your own business and don't be bothered by it. Act with integrity even when those around you don't.

It's amazing how often people will see that. If you engage in petty wars, people will think you're petty and believe the shit they hear about you. If people see you as a man of integrity who really cares about nothing but the music, they'll ignore the rumors and maybe even decide the people spreading them are full of shit.
It's one thing having a band bitch about stuff, but it's unclear why exactly people are believing them, including venue owners and promoters. What are they saying, and how much is true?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Mainly they've been spreading rumors that we're lying to the bookers and other bands to try to get better time slots and more money, which wouldn't be so much of a big deal, but it's getting in the way of booking shows. It's gotten to the point where the only gigs we've gotten have been the one's we're setting up and even then we have no one else to play with. It's more annoying than anything, and it seems the more we ignore this kind of stuff, the more it happens to us.
Well have the bookers/bands straight out said "I've heard you're liars, I'm not giving you a slot"?

I'm asking this because if somebody comes up to me and bitches about somebody else, I regard the bitching person as a bitch, and ignore what they say.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yeah. I agree with Alan (shocker, I know). I'm confused about what you think they're saying that's stopping you from getting gigs.

It seems really implausible. Why would you be getting gigs that you aren't setting up, anyway, as a new band?

What sort of things are they saying?
How many clubs are we talking here?

I ask because there is a booking guy around here who has a fair amount of influence in the indie circuit. He hires people in bands to work at his clubs (two of them) and then books the bands of the people who work at his clubs. They bring their friends out to the clubs when they are gigging to come hear them play, and they bring their friends out to the clubs when they are working to come and hang out. Then, he positions himself as a moderator on the dominant indie music forum around town and promotes his club, his friends/staff members' bands and their gigs... at his clubs. In return, these guys get all their buds to participate on the forum and kiss his ass on the forum, magnifying his importance and popularity. If you say the wrong thing to the wrong person on the wrong forum, they tell all their insular little circle of band friends and the club owner and you could find yourself kinda screwed.

However, he ain't the only show in town, so someone else might well book you instead.

That said....

Have you come right out and asked "why won't you book us?" Or even better, "What would we need to do for you to book us?"

It might simply be a case of being the wrong style of music for the clubs you're trying to get booked into. It may be that you're not ready for your own show, but haven't yet connected with bands in the circuit who like your music enough to have you open for them.

What do they have to gain from these rumours you're talking about? Is there a personal vendetta? That has to come from somewhere. Maybe they just think you suck. Not that you do (I don't know...), but if you're not their style of music, then it's easy to go to the "they suck" slag.

My own experience (though I don't think anyone accused us of sucking...) is that we weren't embraced by much of the local community because the local community (of course, centered around this one club/booker in particular) was what I like to describe as "indie for indie's sake" and we were pretty mainstream sounding. We just weren't a good fit for many of them, and were doing the kind of music they were rebelling against.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.