Can you add TransTrem to, say, a Strat-type body? I'd like to start gathering parts to build a guitar from scratch. Here's what I'm picturing:

-Strat-style body
--TransTrem
-24-fret maple neck/fretboard (would probably need to use Steinberger neck if I'm using TransTrem, right?)
-pups: Humbucker in bridge position
Sustainer in neck position
-volume pots X 2, tone pots X 2

That's all I can think of for now. If I can install TransTrem in Strat body, then great. If not, then my second choice is Floyd Rose, which means I'd have to decide on a neck.

Thoughts?
Quote by Bullitt9919
Can you add TransTrem to, say, a Strat-type body? I'd like to start gathering parts to build a guitar from scratch. Here's what I'm picturing:

-Strat-style body
--TransTrem
-24-fret maple neck/fretboard (would probably need to use Steinberger neck if I'm using TransTrem, right?)
-pups: Humbucker in bridge position
Sustainer in neck position
-volume pots X 2, tone pots X 2

That's all I can think of for now. If I can install TransTrem in Strat body, then great. If not, then my second choice is Floyd Rose, which means I'd have to decide on a neck.

Thoughts?

A few things:

1.) Buying a transtrem will be costly.. Especially if you want a TT1 or TT2 (i.e. the good ones) Not to mention difficult to find
2.) I wouldn't say it's impossible to mount a transtrem to a strat, I'm sure it's been done... But you'll need to do some major hacking, it'd probably best you get a hardtail strat body in order to give you more wood to play with. Either way you'll need some quality wood working skills or deep pockets for a tech to do the work.
3.) Your specs aren't particularly strange, why not pick up a s/h GM4T? You can swap the electronics and add concentric pots then mount a sustainer in the neck. It'll likely save you copious cash.. You won't find a maple fretboard though.

EDIT: If you're not set on transposing, why not get an S-trem clone? J-custom make one that is said to be brilliant (some say better than the original)
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Last edited by power freak at Jan 16, 2012,
Hmmm...you raise some interesting points. I would definitely be interested in the GM4T. And no, I'm not looking for transposing, just the FX of the TransTrem (the strings detuning in pitch when you dive the whammy bar, and the tone of the TransTrem). So you're sayig that an S-trem clone replicates the TransTrem minus the transposing?
Quote by Bullitt9919
Hmmm...you raise some interesting points. I would definitely be interested in the GM4T. And no, I'm not looking for transposing, just the FX of the TransTrem (the strings detuning in pitch when you dive the whammy bar, and the tone of the TransTrem). So you're sayig that an S-trem clone replicates the TransTrem minus the transposing?

A regular S-trem does not keep the strings in relative pitch, I'm not sure about the J-custom one.. I've read a lot of (contradictory) internet hearsay but haven't had one to try first hand to tell you, my instinct would tell me it wouldn't work like a transtrem though. (It is also worth noting however that the TT2 is now off patent and there are rumours that J-custom will be make a TT2-clone out of better materials, but who knows when/if that'll come about)

Out of interest; why are you after the tone of a transtrem? I don't think it sounds particularly good, especially the Yo era pot-metal ones.

What sort of budget are you looking at for this guitar? The transtrem by itself would set you back in advance of $600 realistically, if not more I wouldn't be surprised if you had to fork out 4 figures to get one these days. (You can thank Ed Roman for that btw, he basically controls the steinberger market.) If your pockets are deep you could get a custom builder to make you a guitar for ~$4k give or take (maybe upcharging for the sustainer)... A GM4T in contrast would likely cost half of that. (You could get a custom neck built if the maple thing bothers you, however you'll need to buy quality in order for the transtrem to work it requires a really stiff neck)

EDIT: http://www.reithguitars.com/guitars/guitars-miniht.html That with a T-trem could cost you $3675 (plus any upcharge for the sustainer) doesn't look like you get any say in the neck construction though..

http://www.cantoncustomguitars.com/Home.html Rick is worth a shout too, however you'll be way in excess of $4k I would have thought. You'll likely have a long wait too.

I don't believe Bill is making DeLap's anymore (I could be wrong) either way these things are rarer than hens teeth.

Stray guitars isn't likely to make what you want, but it's worth a shout perhaps.. I don't believe they use T-trems. Similarly Curtis makes hollow styled guitars and Forshage makes ergo styled guitars (I believe no T-trem)

That's about the limit of my headless builders.. Ed Roman makes some as well, but given the reputation of his company I would proceed cautiously.

EDIT2: Curtis has made a headless strat: http://www.curtisguitars.com/guitarSingle.php?id=17 Might be worth a shout, prices for the other models starts at $3500, I don't know about T-trems though.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Last edited by power freak at Jan 17, 2012,
Thanks very much for all of that info. I appreciate the effort. And what's with Ed Roman? He's got a bad rep? Too bad if that's the case, because he has alot of cool Steins on his site.
Quote by Bullitt9919
Thanks very much for all of that info. I appreciate the effort. And what's with Ed Roman? He's got a bad rep? Too bad if that's the case, because he has alot of cool Steins on his site.

Anytime... It's rare I get to talk steinbergers/headless guitars on here.

Just google: "ed roman guitar forum" and you'll likely find horror story after horror story.. He's been banned from selling EBMM guitars because he was taking OLP (budget models) refinishing them and changing decals before selling them "custom order" EBMM guitars. He also operates a "chop shop" where he'll buy guitars (usually vintage) and sell them for parts to make more money. With companies like steinberger (small markets) he also buys everything in sight so he can control market prices... There'll be way more of these if you google!

And it is a shame, he has some great guitars. I've wanted a GS and a GK for so long but I won't trust that place unless I can physically go to vegas to check things out for myself, which is fairly unlikely.

If you are building a guitar from scratch, you can put any trem you want. Just make sure that you drill the bridge as needed.