Just tried a Mesa/Boogie Express 5:50 1x12 combo and HORRY SHIT!!!!

Why is this amp not in the hall of fame!?!?! The cleans on that amp were hands down the best cleans I've ever heard!!!! Better than Fender's and without the icepicking!

I know I might sound like a troll but I'm serious! Amazing amp, perfect for the blues! The clean, crunch, and blues modes were incredible. Especially the first two, very pure sound with a beautiful breakup.

Seriously, why do I never hear anything about this amp? Is it because it's cheap for a Mesa and people write it off? Or is the burn channel not good?( I didn't even try it, never really play metal anymore)

If you haven't tried out this amp, do yourself a favour and play it!

The clean channel got me thinking, it was so pristine and clean yet it had none of the fendery icepickin(ya know super trebly dynamics). I wonder if its some interneal compression? The amp was still very dynamic and touch sensitive.

Anyway, not gonna ramble on her. Anyone have one, played with it?

I have serious GAS right now!
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Last edited by drying out at Jan 16, 2012,
Because the f series had more balls and was generally better all around, and they're way cheaper used.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Because they were marketed as having a gain channel that could compete with a Recto. It sounds nothing like a Recto, nor does it have the amount of gain to even come close to one.

They are great for lower gain stuff, I will agree, but most people wanted a high gain monster that could switch down to 5w, like Mesa said it was, and were sorely disappointed.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I knew it must've had something to do with the gain channel. Stupid move by Mesa to market it as a recto type. It's much more in a Lonestar territory, only more versatile.

If you look at this amp as a blues amp, which it is, it's amazing!
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Are you serious? No love for the 550?

Is this forum just full of metalheads or are all the Express users here introverted and shy?
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
My buddy has one. And I have an F-50. His cleans might be slightly better, but my driven tones have more balls and are, imo, better.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by drying out
Are you serious? No love for the 550?

Is this forum just full of metalheads or are all the Express users here introverted and shy?

Most people here look more to the Lonestar and the Tremoverb and the Marks, and the TransAtlantic/Royal Atlantic for Mesa's low-gain and good cleans amps.

And again, a lot of Mesa's discontinued amps can be had for much cheaper with better overall qualities than the Express.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Most people here look more to the Lonestar and the Tremoverb and the Marks, and the TransAtlantic/Royal Atlantic for Mesa's low-gain and good cleans amps.

And again, a lot of Mesa's discontinued amps can be had for much cheaper with better overall qualities than the Express.

+1

I mean,

I've played the Express 5:50 and it was OK but nothing spectacular to justify paying $1199 for one new. There are much better Mesas out there for less than $1200

Can't speak to the ice pickyness. It has a bit of that but maybe you played a new one with a brand new speaker or an older one with a bad tube for example. But man if you like it buy it.
Quote by Cruel Angel
I know! This amp is fooking sweet!

Thank you! I don't feel like I'm stuck on a lonely island anymore!
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by Raijouta

This +311

For the price of a new 5:50 you could grab a used recto, DC series, F-50, and so on. It's not that they're not great amps, but IMO they're overpriced one trick ponies. But if that one trick is all you need... great. Buy one.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by Kevin Saale
Because the f series had more balls and was generally better all around, and they're way cheaper used.

First post got it exactly right. this.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by jpatan
This +311

For the price of a new 5:50 you could grab a used recto, DC series, F-50, and so on. It's not that they're not great amps, but IMO they're overpriced one trick ponies. But if that one trick is all you need... great. Buy one.

One trick pony? That's not the amp I tried out! It had AMAZING cleans perfect for so many different styles, awesome classic rock crunch sounds and a great breakup sound for blues and so on. And that was without even trying out the Burn channel. Overpriced or not, they are far from being one dimensional!
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
I still don't understand what you're getting at, the f-series and the dc-series (predecessors of these amps) could do all that, and for half the price.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
wow... is it easter already? someone resurrected a dead thread.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes