Page 1 of 5
Hey pit. What albums/songs hit you hard emotionally and why? For me it is the album Pneuma by Moving Mountains. The album is about the singers friend that was killed and it was the first thing I listened to after four of my friends were killed by a drunk driver so I could relate to every song on it.
e-married to Jack (bladez)
Anything by the band "Defeater". Most of their songs are about an alcoholic father.
I'd do me........

The wall by Pink Floyd, Something about Roger's writing really makes me love that album. Not only because of the alienation of childhood and being different, but the music makes me feel involved too
Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run. Incredible album, Jungleland rarely fails to stop me in my tracks.
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Anything by flyleaf or john mark mcmillan or sarah mcmillan. Nobody loves me but my mother, death letter blues.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
The last track on Shikari's new album called Constellations. It's basically a spoken word poem about climate change and it was getting to me at first but then it went into this huge uplifting part about human solidarity which ended with a Bill Hicks quote, I lost it.
Black Gives Way to Blue.

Just loosing a loved one to suicide will really make it emotional. It was in August '11 when I am battling clinical depression myself, and then someone does something like that. It's a feeling impossible to describe, and I think of him every day.
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Anything by The Hold Steady as most of the lyrics are about decadence from the slothful teenage years through near adulthood and dealing with all of those feelings using drugs, religion, relationships, and the music scene as a metaphor to describe it... Plus the concept is partially set in my hometown which makes it really hit home when he's singing about kids almost dying by a high school a few towns over.

Last edited by wizards? at Jan 16, 2012,
Quote by Zoot Allures

I believe a lot of that record is about Ms. Harvey
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Songs that just make me feel terrible because they're so depressing like King Park - La Dispute or Sleeper 1972 - Manchester Orchestra

And then some I really relate too that I'm just like "Awh shiz" when I hear like Play Crack The Sky, The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot, The No Seatbelt Song - Brand New or Where Have You Been?, Simple Math - Manchester Orchestra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdQ32Bhv308

This song actually really hits me hard. I flew back to my hometown this past Christmas and sat in a car in front of my old house, slightly out of it from absinthe while listening to this.

I'm in love with the night
Every breath of this house creaking
I'm familiar with the cold,
And the windows and the doors
And the sound of my heart beating
Beating in and out of time

I walk around these empty rooms
We once moved like the morning
Silhouettes they haunt this house
Like your memory haunts me now
As if it were a dream

It was just a lonely moment for me, I guess.
"Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" by Derek and the Dominos. I'm still a bit of a mess from my most recent ex leaving me, and those songs are just so powerful. Pattie Boyd was one hell of a heartbreaker.
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by mitchellator
The wall by Pink Floyd, Something about Roger's writing really makes me love that album. Not only because of the alienation of childhood and being different, but the music makes me feel involved too

Same. I got chills just thinking about it.
e-single
Pink Floyd's The Wall. Also a lot of other Floyd stuff gets me.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Armageddon by Aerosmith is pretty emotionally powerful to me.

Mother by Pink Floyd is another one. I love how it sounds so nice, but in reality is so bitter. Much like the real world, eh?

*Edit: Also Shine On by Pink Floyd. I'm trying not to go on the obvious PF tangent, but I felt it needed to be mentioned.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Jan 16, 2012,
What stands out in terms of lyrics is Pete Doherty's years from leaving The Libertines and then forming Babyshambles.
In The Libertines a fair few of the songs were about his and Carl Barat's relationship, such as Can't Stand Me Now, Don't Look Back Into the Sun and The Good Old Days. Carl and Pete had a "mantra" or a saying "Libertines forever". With that given it's interesting that Pete wrote the song "**** Forever" shortly after leaving The Libertines which was basically the way of telling "**** The Libertines and all we had". That "forever" we talked about can go **** itselves. And also his references to The Libertines in Sticks And Stones.

"Don't look back into the mother****ing sun" which I assume would be a reference first and foremost to the song and also in terms of "don't look back into the sun" as in, don't look back to "The Libertines". That's past and not relevant in the present.

I always liked that. Makes him very human and sensitive in a way. He loved The Libertines and one day it was all just over, he had lost his best friends so I guess he sought some revenge.

Also the line "they said that I was as good as dead" which is the opening line of the very same song is a kind of "well look what I'm doing now". You said I was dead and now I'm writing better music than ever. **** you, whoever doubted me or badmouthed me.

And I mentioned even earlier. Already on their first album Up The Bracket they sang about "the good old days" Somehow it feels like they knew already by then, on their first album that they had reached a point where "the good old days" was in the past.

More generally, recently a lot of John Frusciante. Realised that he's not only a terrific guitarist and songwriter he's also a fantastic lyricist. He's got some magnificient lyrics.

"I wouldn't know my face if you all were me".
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Jan 16, 2012,
Quote by rockfan7
Songs that just make me feel terrible because they're so depressing like King Park - La Dispute or Sleeper 1972 - Manchester Orchestra

And then some I really relate too that I'm just like "Awh shiz" when I hear like Play Crack The Sky, The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot, The No Seatbelt Song - Brand New or Where Have You Been?, Simple Math - Manchester Orchestra

Yeah man, listen to Brand New after a break up
And also, the moment I realised that "Diamonds and Rust" by Joan Baez was about Bob Dylan. When I understood that every single lyric and line made sense. It's obviously about their relationship and her view of a young Bob Dylan when they first met.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by mitchellator

Yes.

also, life by the drop by stevie ray vaughan.

Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Most of Death Cab For Cutie's songs since I overly relate to them in pathetic ways.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
"Far Away" & "Sympathy" (both off One Beat) by Sleater-Kinney, which are about 9/11 & the premature birth of the singer's son, respectively. Pretty heavy shit, maaan. It's affecting.
A lot of Rise Against hits me really hard, the foremost in my mind right now being Hairline Fracture. Killswitch Engage's The End of Heartache (the song) hits me pretty hard whenever I hear it as well. A Day To Remember, even though I'm not a fan of them, has a song called You Had Me At Hello that always gets me because of its association with a very good female friend of mine who I can't be with; it's our song and it strikes a chord with me because, well, she really did have me at hello . The last one I'll mention is Remembering Sunday by All Time Low which is another band I dislike that has a song that resonates with me particularly well. Reminds me of a difficult time in my life

+1 to everyone who said The Wall as well. Can't even imagine what it's gonna be like for me when I go see it live in May
Quote by R. Shackleford.
Glad to see the sex king getting some action I think it might be time for me to pull him out again tonight and take him for a spin around the rift.
Two songs that come to my mind are "Morningstar" and "This Time Imperfect" by AFI. They're both so beautiful to me. I was having teenager problems the first time I listened and payed attention to Morningstar, my girlfriend and I broke up and one of my good friends at the time moved to a different state in the same week.

"Am I the star beneath the stairs? Am I the ghost upon the stage? Am I your anything?"
That hit me hard.

"This Time Imperfect" I heard first, and it just calms and derpresses me at the same time. I don't even relate it to anything specific in my life, it's just so sad. Death is nothing new lyrically for Davey Havok, but just the way he describes the thought of dying and there being nothing there to look forward to and no afterlife...It just gets me.

Another song I heard more recently was "Forever" by Nevermore (off of Dreaming Neon Black), it was brought about by Warrel Dane's girlfriend deciding to join a cult, and her disappearing on him, never to be seen again, and after that happened he had unnaturally recurring dreams about her drowning. 2 minutes of pure happiness destroying art.

Another Nevermore song that gets me emotionally is Emptiness Unobstructed. Warrel wrote it about how the son of a friend of his committed suicide. The song is about wanting to go to heaven when you die, but battling yourself in your mind for not understanding if heaven really exists or not. The bridge and chorus hit me harder than anything at the moment. "He will shelter you from harm, and sing to you in your darkest hour" I imagine to be Christ, even if it could mean the spirit of the boy who died, protecting his mother.

The freaky part about that song is that the first line of the song is "Take me to the southern shore", which Warrel wrote with absolutely no inspiration to write that phrase. Once he sent the song to the boy's mother, she told him about how one of her son's major goals was to 'go to the southern shore' of California, since that was where they lived, and Warrel had never been told that. That's some supernatural stuff right there.

So, yeah, plenty of songs hit me hard emotionally, whether I associate them with something, or because of the context of the song.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Page 1 of 5